• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Work In Progress

Started by Ultraken, December 02, 2009, 01:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

Here's the first meaningful image from the new D3D9 renderer, which still uses the original software transformation, projection, and clipping.  Textures are not implemented yet, since that system will require extensive re-engineering.

sabrebattletank

Wohoo! DX9 ftw! I almost liked it less detailed, you couldn't see all the ugly moles and facial oddities characteristic of high-def face shots.

Ultraken

:D

It's hard to see because it's black, but all the geometry is there.

Ultraken

technoid

It's like different, but the same (or vice versa).   :-D

TheJamsh

bloody hell. Everyones gone DX9 crazy!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Dx

Didn't you have the white/grey blocks before with your Nvidia card? Looks much improved.

Ultraken

Direct3D has featured automatic texture management for years now, so I just let it take care of everything.  I don't even have to worry about reconstructing textures after a device loss.  There's still a vestigial "texture cache" associating software textures with hardware textures, but it does a lot less work than it did before.

I still need to figure out why the ground shadow is messed up.

Red Devil

Wowsers, that was quick.  :-o

"I'm being bothered by a mooooon shadow; mooooon shadow moon shadow."   :-)
What box???

Nielk1

Click on the image...

Ultraken

The main disappointment is that the average frame rate is higher than that of the software renderer, but not by as much as I would have expected.  Profiling revealed that polygon setup and software transformation, projection, and clipping are relatively costly even in a release build.

Ultraken

I fixed the shadow ground sprites and enabled anisotropic filtering for improved texture detail.

Red Devil

I see better definition of the small craters and bumps on the ground. :-)
What box???

Ultraken

Aniso FTW.   8-)

I may just enable anisotropic filtering and linear mipmapping permanently since it reduces the number of vertex buffer flushes and makes sky sprites look a lot better.  The sprite half-texel shift eliminates the need for point sampling.

I may replace the filtering control flag with a multisampling control flag, since fonts and screen sprites need to turn that off to avoid fuzzy edges.  Updates as events warrant...

Commando

It's nice to see bz1 isn't dead.  Will be nicer to get some decent performance  in bz1 too.  The bz1 seemed to suffer from the same pausing every 10th of a second that bz2 suffered from before it's dx 9 rewrite.  At least it did for me.