• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

To Our Childrens Childrens Children

Started by BZSubmaximal, December 03, 2009, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BZSubmaximal

As  a self proclaimed "old timer" here (yes...I was/am/is the Original-but subsequently copied...substituted and name absconded-wargod...(note no capital letters and no clan tag affiliation...although I will occasionally still throw on the {BZ} tag as an  omagge to Mowerman)

I still visit BZ land, both 1 and 2  for a occasional game, and sometimes a downright, all night lovefest with 5.1 G66 games(thnx RD for picking up Nattys work)...so when I saw Ken decided to peak back in to the BZ world and renovate and resurrect BZ 1 I admit...I almost cried....(of course...but in a manly manner)

BZ 1 was my 1st PC game...and I admit..a large part of my 30's and early 40s(yes...years of age) were spent in Bomber wars, Colli games and frustrated by start games that just plain ran out of scrap....But now I see Super Ken(I as I recall him) working to fix our old girl...God Bless Super Ken...and the BZ community for staying with the greatest PC game(concept) ever...

Ultraken

We have Windows 7 to thank for that, actually.  I should have revisited BZ several years ago, but now is as good a time as any.   :-D

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

The COW games were the most fun I've ever had online, and I've had a LOT of online fun...  TTO and po going at it in the forums...  Mowerman breaking every SP mission anyone made...  FON zipping around in a Grizzly, dropping Golems instead of Navs...  ah, those were the days...

I miss Scouts and Rockets the most, and watching Mowerman lure dozens of my AI to their doom despite my frantic attempts to call them back. 

Part of that is the magic of those days, when Quake was about the only decent online experience, and part of it is the magic of BZ.

-Av-

Commando

I wonder what happened to all of the older members.  I haven't seen Mower around since the early 1.3 days.

The usual, moved, divorced, different job... tho not in that order.  

RL can be harsh, there's no ejection seat for when things fall apart around you.

-Av-

Remember kids, never drink and type, especially while you're driving!  :)

Firestorm29

I could be considered an old timer... I used to play on HEAT.net quite a bit. Then BZ2 came around and the BZ1 HEAT.net room was pretty much empty save for one or two people once in awhile. I never did go and see what activenet was about since I assumed it also got emptied and shut down on the release of 2.

It's not that I have something against BZ2, it's just 1 got ghost town'd for me when it came around. I was pretty happy to see peeps still playing it when I came around early this year. Got upset pretty quickly at the drama.

Blunt Force Trauma

I started at HEAT.net as well around May or June of 98.  Rode HEAT for about 6-10 months I think? . . . or whenever they started charging for an account then moved to the acti server.  Bought and played BZ2 for maybe 2-4 months, and then came back to BZ1.

Firestorm29

Quote from: Blunt Force Trauma on December 05, 2009, 07:24:37 PM
I started at HEAT.net as well around May or June of 98.  Rode HEAT for about 6-10 months I think? . . . or whenever they started charging for an account then moved to the acti server.  Bought and played BZ2 for maybe 2-4 months, and then came back to BZ1.
Strange I never needed to pay for my account... maybe there was an option to have a free account or something like that? I remember a few only game services having paid accounts that offer more services. Never was really worth it in my opinion.

Red Devil

They let you guys have children???  I thought you were locked up permanently... :-o
What box???

Blunt Force Trauma

Yes HEAT was free for all of 97 and 98, and maybe well into 99. . .hard to recall now.  But at some point they decided to start charging like $4.99/month or something.  That lasted for about a year, and then they finally went under.

Firestorm29

I see, I stopped hanging around HEAT.net after the release of BZ2, and that was a year or so before SEGA started failing apart due to the Dreamcast not going as planned. :/