• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Physical vs. digital media

Started by Hookshot, December 05, 2009, 03:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookshot

This topic has probably been talked to death here but I want to hear what you all have to say on it.

I just got my copies of BZ and BZII this week (unfortunately I can't play them because my gaming laptop is in repair :cry:) and lucky for me they came with their respective manuals and keyboard layout cards. I'm one of those rare people that actually enjoy reading the manual for games so long as they are good. And I also like holding the actual CD.

But I'm also a fan of Steam and it's service. It's very convenient and often times has better deals then normal game stores.

I like both but I hope total digital distribution doesn't take over. So which do you all prefer, or do you like both?
We were promised flying cars in the future... can mine be a scout?

AHadley

I love Steam, but I also like my CDs. And I'm now a great fan of virtual drives and disk images.

Axeminister

There is no knowledge that is not power.

TwinShadow

CD here myself. The keys you get with digital only work a certain amount of times sometimes compared to having the actual CD with you. Digital is fine for some things, but I'm not necessarily for it, nor against it. I just don't really like digital.

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

No. You need a post-boot program running to operate a virtual drive.

Clavin12

I didn't think so, but it was worth asking.
C l a v i n 1 2

I think owning the CD is the ultimate proof of the right to play the game.  Licenses and keys are great, but emailed keys can work against you if someone else gets ahold of your number.  At that point you fall back on "Hey...  look...  I have the CD in my hand.".  :)

-Av-

Blunt Force Trauma

We are halfway there to true "Cloud" gaming of complex big releases.  The positive aspect is it will be much harder to hack.

Red Devil

A digitally-distributed ISO would be best.  The company saves on the design/manufacturing/packaging/shipping fooferall and all we do click, download, and burn.
What box???

TwinShadow

Quote from: Red Devil on December 06, 2009, 05:58:34 PM
A digitally-distributed ISO would be best.  The company saves on the design/manufacturing/packaging/shipping fooferall and all we do click, download, and burn.

That would be ideal for most gamers anyway, since many would have DSL/Cable connections. But, this isn't the best option for some since they either don't have internet in the first place, or still run dial-up for who knows why.

However, that is where torrents can come into play.. makes downloading ISO's from official sources easier and can put less strain on some networks.

Red Devil

Many companies give you a choice of digital or CD now.
What box???