• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experimental D3D9 Build (2009-12-05)

Started by Ultraken, December 05, 2009, 03:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

I have a new executable for everyone to try, focused primarily on the new D3D9 renderer.  The software renderer still works for now, but forces the game into a window.  On the plus side, windowed mode supports the same resolutions as full-screen now.  :)

This build still performs a CD check like the previous experiemental build, unfortunately.  If that's a problem, I can post an updated version without it later.

Battlezone D3D9

(It's hosted on my NAS like the first one, so transfer rates can be a bit hit or miss.)

Commando

Will you eventually be able to post a build that doesn't check for cd?

Commando

With the new .exe, I'm getting an AV trying to launch it.  "bzone.exe - Entry Point Not Found".  The procedure entry point_daoot could not be located in the dynamic link library anet2.dll.

Commando

The original exe produces a different av altogether indicating that virtual memory has been disabled so neither the old nor the new exe will run for me on Win 7.

Ultraken

Two things:
1. get the Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redstributable Package
2. rename the "splash" folder to "splash_" to disable Windows 7's compatibility layer

Commando

I believe I have the 2008 files since 1.3 requires them along with most of the newer games on Steam.

Commando

Renamed the file, still no luck.  Even when trying to run it as an administrator.

Tried running the link you posted.  Computer give me the option to repair or uninstall indicating I already had the 2008 redistributables installed.  I knew Borderlands required it meaning I already had it installed.

Commando

Is there any way to have the 1.4 installer remade?  Currently, it seems to autodetect your bz2 directory so if you have multiple installers, the installer will only update one of the installs.

Ultraken

The game tries to write settings to its install folder, which fails on Vista and 7 because those set folders read-only by default.  The workaround is to make the folder writable by users, but the real solution is to write to a folder in the user's home directory.  I also need to make the game more tolerant of minor errors instead of exiting outright.

Commando

I got a new error this time.

BZONE.EXE - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).  Click OK to close the application

Ultraken

Hm.  I'm not sure what that's about.

I'll have a new build tomorrow since I just discovered that I was submitting geometry wrong, so this build doesn't have nearly the performance it should.  When I switched over to the correct way, I went from 3-5 FPS on my laptop to 100-150 FPS.  That's a fairly unusual case, but everyone should see a substantial boost.

eddywright

I am getting 150+ fps with this build on Vista64.  I had compatibility mode turned on (XP SP2) and most everything was working. I then turned off compatibility mode off and I get a failed to create D3D object error. Now I have to reboot to see if  I can it running again.

I noticed in mission 2 that some of the buildings seemed disconnected from the terrain. As I drove around them, they seem to move around some. I'll make a video of it once I get BZ going again.

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: P35-DS3R
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU           @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 3426MB used, 4980MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Commando

The disconnect sounds like an issue 1.3 had at first.  Which was the result of using DX9 matricies when bz2 was still written to use DX matricies.

Ultraken

I'm still using BZ's software T&L pipeline, so I don't think it's that.

Ultraken

Also, one potential workaround to the crash on startup is to disable DEP for bzone.exe.  That may or may not fix it for you, but it's worth trying.