• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

I'm getting a little fed up with Blender

Started by Clavin12, December 05, 2009, 08:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

Can someone tell me 'exactly' what they do when they uv unwrap a model in blender? Plz?
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

I normally eat a sandwich when I UV map, but likely because it is normally lunch.

Click on the image...

VSMIT

I usually tear stuff off of the walls of my room when I UV map.  Because it can be frustrating.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Clavin12

I mean the procedure for UV unwrapping and I think you knew that
C l a v i n 1 2

BNG Da BZ Fool

Unfortunately, most of these guys know little more about Blender then how to spell the name,  B l e n d e r. N1, uses Max to make a long story short and C12 will soon become the resident expert if he can maintain his sanity as time goes by. Personally, Blender still makes my head sort of just goes numb like Patrick Star on Nicktoons. Seriously? There are plenty of tutorials on mapping with Blender on the web. Why ask here? 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

S.cavA.rmyG.en

Quote from: Clavin12 on December 05, 2009, 08:03:45 PM
Can someone tell me 'exactly' what they do when they uv unwrap a model in blender? Plz?
I am with you on this one but still There are plenty of tutorials look at there site.
I do not use blender vary often and never used it for uv unwraping a model for bz2.
│░│
│▒│
│▒│
│▓│
│▓│
│▓│Behold The Power Of Scrap.
If it works in-game, it doesn't matter how wierd and broken it looks code wise!
what is scrap if its not wierd and broken?

Nielk1

Nearly all UV mapping is the same and generally simple. Apply basic wrapper. Select polies, apply basic wrapper to local selection, edit WV point by point.

The thing is, to UV map, you need to sit down and DO IT. Not want it done, will it done, and not do it. It can sometimes take more time than modeling. And as was said, there are literally THOUSANDS of blender tutorials out there.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

You see with the monkey sample mesh in blender I unwrapped it and it looked like they peeling the skin of it and flattened it. Thats basically what I want.
C l a v i n 1 2

S.cavA.rmyG.en

Quote from: Clavin12 on December 07, 2009, 08:17:32 PM
You see with the monkey sample mesh in blender I unwrapped it and it looked like they peeling the skin of it and flattened it. Thats basically what I want.
I don't know what to say to that other then WHAT.
a flattened monkey grate more food I don't want to see on a plate.
ok why do you want rood kill for a model.
│░│
│▒│
│▒│
│▓│
│▓│
│▓│Behold The Power Of Scrap.
If it works in-game, it doesn't matter how wierd and broken it looks code wise!
what is scrap if its not wierd and broken?

AHadley

Quote from: S.cavA.rmyG.en on December 07, 2009, 09:04:07 PM
I don't know what to say to that other then WHAT.
a flattened monkey grate more food I don't want to see on a plate.
ok why do you want rood kill for a model.

Unwrapping generates a net of the model. Like it's been unwrapped and flattened. That's what he means.

Dianoga4

There are alot of tutorials out there which has been said. It's really not that hard once you get basics down. When in edit mode you have the option of face, vertice and edge select mode. Also when in edit mode when you press "U", it will bring up the UV menu. I have 2 windows open when making a UV map in Blender. The main 3d window and the UV/Image Editor window. When you unwrap something using the UV menu when you press U in the 3d window, the uv map of what you did will appear in the UV/Image Editor window. Once you have everything laid out the way you want it you can save the UV layout by going into the menu in the picture below in the UV/Image Editor window. Hope that helps somewhat, I'm not good at writing novels heh.

Example of both windows open and showing UV layout.

Nielk1

Sounds like he wants a button that unwraps his model perfectly for him. DOES NOT EXIST.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

That's not what I said.

This is an illustration.

This is what I get when I unwrap the monkey:

This, however, is what I get when I unwrap one of my ships:

Specifically this one which I built for the cp. Like it? I can give better photos.

C l a v i n 1 2

Dianoga4

When you have your faces selected, what option do you pick under the UV menu? Also it can be easier to unwrap some faces at a time, not the whole thing in one shot.

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2