• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experimental D3D9 Build (2009-12-07)

Started by Ultraken, December 06, 2009, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

Once again, it's time for a new executable.  I fixed some performance problems with the renderer, and included some bonus gameplay fixes: seismic wave screwing up the terrain, and a divide-by-zero error in the AI that could make things go haywire.

As an experiment, I simplified virtual memory allocations used by the terrain and high-level rendering system, which may or may not help with the DEPs.  (It now commits the full amount instead of reacting to access violations and committing memory incrementally.)

By popular demand, I removed the CD check (for now) so everyone can test more easily.  I don't know if that's a good idea long-term, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.  :D

Battlezone D3D9

(As usual, it's hosted on my NAS)

Quick reminders:
1. this build requires the Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redstributable Package
2. if using a retail install, rename the "splash" folder to "splash_" to disable Windows 7's compatibility layer
3. if running on Windows Vista or 7, make the install folder writable
4. if you have trouble starting it, try the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

Commando

Still getting the same issue.  I am running windows 7 64bit edition if that helps.

Commando

I reinstalled the redistributables to be safe, I renamed the folder, and I set my folder to be writeable.  Still won't launch.  I wonder if it is a x64 compatibility issue.

Ultraken

Possibly, but it runs fine on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop computer...

Ultraken

Try the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.  It might have something to do with the version of DirectX.

Commando

Then that most likely isn't the issue.  I'm not sure what to make of the issue.  I gave myself all privileges for the folder to see if that will help, but got no farther.  Same AV when doubleclicking the exe.

Commando

Still no go.  Does bz1 write to a log file when it runs into any errors?  If so, I'll post the content of the log.

Ultraken

That I don't know.  It doesn't seem to as far as I can tell.

I put the debug symbol file here if you want to try starting it in Visual C++ 2008 Express.  Maybe it'll give us a meaningful result.

Since I have an up-to-date map file, could you post the addresses it lists in the AV?  I might be able to figure out where it's crashing.

sabrebattletank

I still get the "Sorry, there is not enough memory to continue.
Please make sure that you have at least 50MB free on your hard drive and that virtual memory is not disabled" version, and when run in compatibility for XP, it hangs. Was there a fix for this aside from running in compatibility mode?

I'm on 7 64 bit with 4 gigs RAM.

Trying the Web-basted DX installer now.

Commando

Basically the content of the error.

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).  Click OK to close the application.

sabrebattletank

Still get the same memory error with the web-based DX when not run in compatibility mode, but this time the compatibility mode hang is different.

Hangs, compatibility XP SP2:
a) before the web-based DX -- resized screen, mouse turned into the Win7 "waiting" circle, except the Battlezone green
b) after the web-based DX -- resized screen, no mouse

Ultraken

Quote from: sabrebattletank on December 07, 2009, 12:09:50 AM
I still get the "Sorry, there is not enough memory to continue.
Please make sure that you have at least 50MB free on your hard drive and that virtual memory is not disabled" version
About a dozen places in the application can generate that message, but it does narrow things down a little.

and when run in compatibility for XP, it hangs. Was there a fix for this aside from running in compatibility mode?
That I don't know.

I'm on 7 64 bit with 4 gigs RAM.
Same here, actually.

Quote from: Commando on December 07, 2009, 12:17:38 AM
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).  Click OK to close the application.
Hm.  That doesn't help much, unfortunately.

While it's a lot to ask, could you install Visual C++ 2008 Express?  Once you've done that, unpack the debug symbol file I posted earlier to the same location as the executable and run the game as usual.  When it crashes, run VC++ and connect to bzone.exe with Tools > Attach to Process... and maybe it'll show something useful.

sabrebattletank

Update: With compatibility mode to Vista I was able to launch to shell, I clicked around a bit, and played for about 2 minutes. In full screen! There goes the last shred of hope I had for homework for tonight :-(

Commando, try compatibility mode for Vista and see if that helps.

Sans compatibility mode is still a no-go.

Commando

I've tried compatibility mode for xp with sp 3 and 2.  I even tried win 95/98 compatibility mode.

sabrebattletank

None of those compatibility modes ever worked for me. This build with Vista compat was the only one that did.