• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experimental D3D9 Build (2009-12-07)

Started by Ultraken, December 06, 2009, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

Since it works for some people and not others, I need to figure out what's different for those having problems.

It would be helpful if people having problems described their BZ install (retail CD, BZ98 installer, and so forth) and how they are running the new executable (including renaming it).  Several people over at battlezone1.freeforums.org are having problems too.  Also, system specs such as operating system version might help identify commonalities.  (It'd be so much easier if it was failing on one of my Windows 7 machines so I could diagnose it...)

Now that the D3D9 renderer is semi-stable, this failure to start is the biggest issue.

Red Devil

i had to cancel the previous download since it had stalled for hours.  Trying again.

Edit: I'll mirror it on bzu as soon as i get it downloaded.
What box???

Red Devil

Could these be hosted on FileFront or some other site?  Been stuck on the last 2% for an hour, same as previous one.
What box???

Dx

Just use a proxy and it gets over 200Kbs.

Red Devil

It finally finished and I put a copy here:  Today's build

I still get this error about 2..3 minutes into 2nd SP mission:

What box???

eddywright

I dropped in the new exe and I'm seeing a definite increase in frame rates, about 50% more if I had to guess.  I'm running it in Vista64 & 8800GTX video with no compatibility mode, launching it with /nointro

I made it half way through the second SP mission before it crashed. I'm seeing some disappearing textures on buildings and the same problem I mentioned before where the buildings and the terrain doesn't seem to mesh.

www.bz911.com/bzonetest2.wmv

I installed from the BZ1.4L installer.

From dxdiag:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/7/2009, 20:57:08
       Machine name: EDDY-VISTA64
   Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: P35-DS3R
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU           @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 3189MB used, 5216MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Commando

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/8/2009, 01:56:59
      Machine name: COMMANDO-PC
  Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
      System Model: 132-CK-NF78
              BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
         Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
            Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
         Page File: 1306MB used, 6880MB available
       Windows Dir: C:\Windows
   DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
     Display Tab 1: No problems found.
       Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
       Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
       Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
         Input Tab: No problems found.

Ultraken

That second SP mission crash was two Soviet wingmen spawning at the exact same location so the obstacle-avoidance code performed an invalid floating-point operation.  Those are especially nasty since they render subsequent calculations invalid as well, cascading through the game until it goes down in flames.

I caught that by enabling floating-point exceptions, which turned up some bad geometry as well.  I put an emergency fix in the geometry loader since invalid surface normals and face planes will screw up the renderer.

Dx

Quote from: Ultraken on December 08, 2009, 02:57:45 AM
That second SP mission crash was two Soviet wingmen spawning at the exact same location so the obstacle-avoidance code performed an invalid floating-point operation.  Those are especially nasty since they render subsequent calculations invalid as well, cascading through the game until it goes down in flames.

Ah, that's the one the debugger kept leading me to build object.
But it didn't crash if i was there and watched the two spawn.

Ultraken

Oh, that's right.

I bet that fixed quite a few problems.  I plan to leave floating-point exceptions enabled on non-release builds since it's perfect for catching these.

bb1

Visual Studio gives me :

Unhandled exception at 0x00c1e2d0 in bzone.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.

Does not start.

Ultraken

Of course I didn't keep the map file from that build...  :oops:

I did wise up and make one for the 2009-12-08 build, though.  Could you try again with that one?

Dx

Ken,
Do you have to run the exec. from vs2008? I kept getting the exec. greyed out when i tried to attach to process after a crash.

bb1

Run the program really quick, hit refresh, then attach. Gotta be quick before the crash though.