• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experimental D3D9 Build (2009-12-08)

Started by Ultraken, December 08, 2009, 03:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

Here's another build for everyone to try.  It has a bunch of changes:

• Replaced MemDebug allocation with normal memory allocation
  • Removed the virtual memory exception handler to allow "normal" crash reports
  • Fixed faint alpha-blended sprites
  • Forced Z-buffering on and Z-split off to fix rendering problems
  • Added an emergency fix for bad geometry data
  • Fixed an AI invalid floating-point operation that crashed the second NSDF mission
  • Fixed slow mouse turning at high frame rates 8)
Battlezone D3D9

Usual reminders:
1. This build requires the Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redstributable Package
2. If using a retail install, rename the "splash" folder to "splash_" to disable Windows 7's compatibility layer
3. If running on Windows Vista or 7, make the install folder writable
4. If having trouble, try the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

eddywright

I just tried the new build and it looks great!   The disappearing textures and the building/terrain issue are fixed.

I'll do more indepth testing this evening.

Eddy

Ultraken

Z-buffering was getting turned off, so forcing it on fixed that.  Bad geometry could easily caused some problems as well.

Commando

When I run it in Win 9 compatibility, I get the 0000005 error.  When I turn offf compatibillity, I get the fllowing.

The procedure entry point_daoot could not be located in the dynamic link library anet2.dll.  The dll is present in my bz1 folder.  I forgot to mention earlier, I have two installs, both produce different error reports.

Ultraken

Interesting!  That definitely gives me something to work with.  What version of the Activenet DLL are you using?

Commando

Red Devil

I put a copy here:  Today's build

I used Internet Download Manager and it got it quickly.

I didn't get the AV on the 2nd mission.  Onward to Mars!  :-)
What box???

Ultraken

Quote from: Commando on December 08, 2009, 12:43:02 PM
Hatever came with bz1
You might want to try replacing it with the updated ("XP anti-lag") version.

sabrebattletank

Just for hoots and giggles, tried the BZ98 installer with this D3D9 build on Ubuntu 9.10 in wine. Got a freeze, and it permanently resized my screen :p. Nastiest bug of them all.

Edit: Especially because I couldn't figure out how to resize my screen (the menu buttons were unselectable due to panel icons forced to move behind them), and a quick google for "change screen resolution terminal ubuntu 9.10" only gave people asking "why the hell would you want to do that? just click *here [which i could not]*.

Ultraken

Whoah.  Nasty.  :oops:

I'm still learning the ropes with D3D9, so there's a good chance that I'm doing something wrong.  It doesn't help that BZ's event handling is so complex.

Red Devil

Is there a way to make the mini-map/cockpit radar bigger?  It's pretty small at the higher res.

Also, the highest res mine goes to is 1280x1024.
What box???

Commando

I tried the anti lag patch.  Results were the same.

Ultraken

Zero Angel

Quote from: sabrebattletank on December 08, 2009, 05:37:00 PM
Just for hoots and giggles, tried the BZ98 installer with this D3D9 build on Ubuntu 9.10 in wine. Got a freeze, and it permanently resized my screen :p. Nastiest bug of them all.

Edit: Especially because I couldn't figure out how to resize my screen (the menu buttons were unselectable due to panel icons forced to move behind them), and a quick google for "change screen resolution terminal ubuntu 9.10" only gave people asking "why the hell would you want to do that? just click *here [which i could not]*.
Alt+F2 brings up the 'run' dialogue

use the command 'gnome-terminal' to launch the terminal, or 'nvidia-settings' to launch the nvidia control panel

If you dont have the nvidia control panel (ie: are not using the restricted drivers) then use the xrandr (X Resize and Rotate tool) command instead

Type: xrandr -- and it will display all available resolutions (The first resolution is setting 0, then the next is setting 1, etc.)

Type xrandr -s # (the # being whatever resolution you want to change to) and remember which # it is

Anytime the bug occurs again, hit alt+F2 and type in the xrandr -s # command.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Zero Angel

There's other ways to do it too, including using the catalyst control panel (for ATI restricted drivers), which is probably 'ccc' or by launching GNOME's resolution tool -- I think its something like 'gnome-display-properties' or something to that effect. There are ways to find out which command launches which program.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression