• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experimental D3D9 Build (2009-12-10)

Started by Ultraken, December 10, 2009, 02:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

The preferences thing is definitely on the list of things to do.

The problem with the saves is the shell itself, which is not the easiest to modify.

Red Devil

Any plans for adding more sound channels or converting to 3D sound?
What box???

Ultraken

I may swipe Nathan's sound system from BZ2.   :-D

Commando

Lol, you know he did redo the graphics system too, right :).

Ultraken

BZ2's rendering system is so fundamentally different and deeply integrated with the rest of the engine that it would be almost impossible to use without performing a full "engine transplant".  It was easier to work within the existing system, and I learned a lot by doing it.

Commando

Wouldn't the same apply to the sound system too?

Ultraken

Unlike the rendering system, the sound system was relatively isolated and preserved mostly intact between BZ1 and BZ2.  While I haven't looked that closely, I got the impression that Nathan completely replaced its internal implementation but left its public interface alone.  If that's true, then it should be easy to drop right in.

Commando

Cool, would be nice to have 128 sound channels in bz1.  The sound system may need some work, when I updated my sound drivers for my CL X-FI, bz2's sound system had issues releasing sound channels until sound failed completely.

bb1

I have Visual Studio 08 (MSDN) for my programmnig classes... wondering if I can contribute anything in any way.