• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experimental D3D9 Build (2009-12-11)

Started by Ultraken, December 11, 2009, 04:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

Quote from: bb1 on December 11, 2009, 04:59:55 PM
Not much worth mentioning, but I was flying around Armageddon and throwing thumpers around FTHOI. As it hit a repair or ammo or any powerup, the "base under attack" beeping went off.
That's a side effect of AI and interface changes I made while fixing the "half-alliance" exploit.  I need to fix that.

sabrebattletank

So I ran bz and attached Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition to it, and near the end of NSDF 4 I got another crash. I've still got the stuff up, so let me know if there's anything that I should post/do with it.

This crash was before the attack wave comes in from behind, but the other crash wasn't. Maybe the tug dropping the object caused it?

sabrebattletank

Also, there's almost always a voiceover playing. The units' responses play only once, but the mission ones play waaayyy too many times.

Commando

Sabre, if you get the AV, perform the following steps.  Remember to keep the AV screen up.

1.  Load up Visual C++ 2008 Express as an administrator if you are using Win 7 or Vista
2.  Click on Tools
3.  Select Attach to Process
4.  Select bzone.exe

You should find some info under the Output button or tab.

sabrebattletank

'bzone.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll'
'bzone.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xe44) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x5ac) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xfcc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x6ac) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
First-chance exception at 0x00491c09 in bzone.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfc7cf020.
Unhandled exception at 0x00491c09 in bzone.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfc7cf020.

Edit: Woah, this is some cool stuff.
Commando, I attached it to bzone before starting the mission -- that's OK too, right?
Crash happened in NSDF 4, just before the squadron comes in from behind your base, after having secured the relic.

Ultraken

You should be able to connect at any time, not just after it crashes.

If you unpack the program database file to the same folder as the executable, you'll be able to see the call stack.

Update: Testing with the debugger attached will be very helpful in the future.  I should start releasing the internal build as well, since it's basically an "optimized debug build" that produces somewhat more meaningful output.

sabrebattletank

Commando

Sabre, you have to install the ANET update that DX posted.  After I installed that file, bzone would load.

sabrebattletank

Did that. What I posted happened in NSDF 4. I'll edit the post to make that more clear.

Edit: Also, it's true. 4m4z1ng at the bz1 boards and I are the same person in real life. Sorry for any confusion :p

eddywright

Just tried out the new exe and the strange model/terrain bug is back.

http://www.bz911.com/bzonetest3.wmv

It was fixed in the last version.

Eddy

sabrebattletank

I'm not sure this is actually a bug, but might as well mention it anyway. It seems vaguely familiar. When I move my cursor over some settings in the Options shell tab, this happens.

Normal:

After mouseover of top two:

After mouseover of all four:

Ultraken

I had removed support for the Zbuffer flag in the previous build, but that broke the software renderer so I had to put it back.  I'll come up with a different solution next time, but for now you should set Zbuffer to 1 in render.cfg.  It'll run a lot faster, too.  :)

Now that we've figured out and fixed the crash on startup, I'm going to take care of all those shell glitches.

Commando

The fadein effect, when it comes to terrain being obstructed by the skydome, and polygons seems to be a little jumpy.  You can see the polygons if you circle strafe around a Grizzly tank.  You can see the terrain issue on almost any map, I noticed it the most on the mars maps, especially when the alien factory on the second mars map fades in.  It's amaziong how slowly ships turn when compared to bz2.  The Grizzly turns as slowly as my Buick whish is kind of annoying.

Commando

Ken, has the scaling changed much between Bz1 and Bz2?  I think I remember Avatar stating that the scaling of maps was slightly different when porting a map from bz1 to bz2.

Ultraken

BZ1 uses a 10-meter grid, while BZ2 uses an 8-meter grid by default.