• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

What are your thoughts about revoting the story?

Started by Zero Angel, December 11, 2009, 04:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

I don't mean to disrespect the current guys that we have working on the story -- but I would like to get everyone's opinions on allowing everyone to resubmit their stories for another vote.

If your story was not allowed for inclusion into the first vote and you wish it to go up for voting on a new vote say so here -- if you would like to revote the stories, say so here --

If there is enough of a community demand for it, then we may begin to revote on the story. Again, I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think it is something that should be looked at as a possibility.

If a second vote was to be retaken, I would ask for the submission of story summaries (less than 400 words) as well as long versions. (most people will not read a story that is too long -- as it is straining to the eyes to read walls of text on a monitor). At which point the story would go to a community vote.

The other idea is for the story summaries and long versions to go to a volunteer (not elected) committee on people interested in deciding the story (must be willing to read all the stories, and must not have a vested interest in the success or failure of any of the stories)

These are the three options I see:

1) Keep it as it is, if you guys are okay with the current story.

2) Public revote, if you guys believe that this is the fairest thing to do

3) Allow a volunteer committee to thoroughly review ALL stories and vote on the best one. This will prevent the community from voting unfairly (how does one really decide unless they have read all the stories?) or reading any early spoilers, and thus be able to enjoy any surprises in the publically released campaign.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

iron maiden

I have a good but perhaps difficult idea for an expansion so yes, I vote yes.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

VSMIT

If we were to do this, the third option is definitely the best.  We'd need to make sure that it is impartial, though.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

iron maiden

I second that. But who should we have on the committee, will it be voted on by certain people or will they be chosen by someone in particular?

Nielk1

And since I plan to be doing some sort of adaptation of the story now I can't be impartial. Most likely...

I did get to send off a story for a parallel time line mod to someone to look at, still waiting for the reaction to that one. And I didn't even include that I have character names and even personality types like in the BZ2 manual.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

I also have a neat idea which I sent a rough copy to someone a while back, if we have story re submissions I will put it up.

Zero Angel

Quote from: iron maiden on December 11, 2009, 07:44:45 PM
I second that. But who should we have on the committee, will it be voted on by certain people or will they be chosen by someone in particular?

The committee would be comprised of willing volunteers who have not submitted their own stories (in order to prevent conflicts of interest) and are agreed upon (through consensus) by the modders who already have access to the private area of the CP. I think this would be the best way to prevent things from being delayed too much by unnecessary arguing.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

Zero Angel

Retroboy posted this:
QuoteHi. I was the original coordinator for BZ2CP from pre-inception until first maps release, and then RL took over. Smiley

If I could make some suggestions?
Phase 1: decide on a story FRAMEWORK and SETTING for now. The story details can be developed organically and the process should be flexible enough to include plot twists created by the discoveries in the game engine's technology. For example, BZ2CP portals, which are such a fundamental component of that game's initial strategy, were added as an afterthough after someone discovered that they could actually be done.

Phase 2: Limit initial mission scripts to descriptions of the beginning state, end state, and major pivotal events. Release to the mapmakers and let them see what they can turn it into. Then add in events, dialogue and cutscenes to flesh the result out. This prevents the mapmakers from having to slavishly produce work that they can't really contribute to.
I'd move some technology investigation and concept work to Phase 1.

I'd also suggest creating some playable concept maps much earlier in the process. It's one thing to look at a picture, but quite another to experience a model in-game, and by starting this now you're not going to be waiting on art assets forever.

Cheers!

The story is a secondary priority right now, just so everyone is aware -- so revoting or forming committees is not really urgent -- since the stories will form itself around what our mission and assets dudes can whip up as exciting proofs of concepts.
{bac}Zero Angel

Mr X

I'd suggest we cut the story we have down to its bare bones and take the project from there then.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

iron maiden

Which is what I have been saying, cut down the story, or "gut" it down to the main ideas and rebuild it.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh there, its just that is what I have been saying since two days ago.

iron maiden

By the way, are we and if so when are we creating this committee?

Clavin12

Third idea definitely. BTW it would work with my most recent idea in "Restarting".
C l a v i n 1 2

Zero Angel

Quote from: iron maiden on December 12, 2009, 04:52:46 PM
By the way, are we and if so when are we creating this committee?

I'd like to let this thread linger till the end of December, with actual action on this discussion being taken at the beginning of January. The holidays will be a great time for the assets guys to let their creativity run without any constraints. We can then select a story based on what ideas our assets and mission guys come up with.

Most likely, the final decision on the story will be the same one we have now. So dont get your hopes up TOO much. We will see.
{bac}Zero Angel