• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

DX11

Started by bb1, December 13, 2009, 09:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bb1

With Windows 7 and the next generation of graphics cards, we have DirectX 11. Now I'm not pushing for a render change at all (Just got DX9- very nice and streamlined!) Just musing how that hardware tesselation would look in BZ2... Are the DX11 SDKs even out yet?

TwinShadow

I haven't made the upgrade to W7, and I have no intentions either. Although most of Vista's problems appear to have been fixed, I'm still not enticed to upgrade in the least. I think it may be the best idea to keep BZ2 on DX9 since I'm not sure if Nathan really wants to re-write the rendering engine again even if the DX11 SDK's were out.

I've not seen games utilize DX11, let alone DX10 recently. (I can only think of a couple games that actually make use of DX10 at the moment) So, I don't know..

GSH

DX11 SDKs are definitely available. But, going to DX11 would require (1) a big rewrite of code, and (2) require Windows Vista or Win7. That'll cut out a large number of users. That's why I didn't go to DX10 when doing the recent rewrite -- I wanted to still support Win2000/XP users.

Also, tesselation support would require a lot of models to be rebuilt to have that. Basic chicken-and-egg problem here -- I sure don't have time to do both. I'd rather let some talented modelers make higher-poly (e.g. 3-10K polys) non-tesselated versions of the stock assets. That way, those could be usable via a recy variant in DX9. More people would benefit from that than tesselation.

-- GSH

General BlackDragon

unfortunately, some of the majorly awesome modelers left the community a while back (spAce, Lizard). I know I'm not good enough to make those kind of detailed models. Do we have anyone capable of doing it? That also has the time?

*****General BlackDragon*****

bb1

Quote from: GSH on December 14, 2009, 09:37:54 AM
DX11 SDKs are definitely available. But, going to DX11 would require (1) a big rewrite of code, and (2) require Windows Vista or Win7. That'll cut out a large number of users. That's why I didn't go to DX10 when doing the recent rewrite -- I wanted to still support Win2000/XP users.

Also, tesselation support would require a lot of models to be rebuilt to have that. Basic chicken-and-egg problem here -- I sure don't have time to do both. I'd rather let some talented modelers make higher-poly (e.g. 3-10K polys) non-tesselated versions of the stock assets. That way, those could be usable via a recy variant in DX9. More people would benefit from that than tesselation.

-- GSH

That's fair...I can agree with that.

Warfreak

Quote from: General BlackDragon on December 14, 2009, 10:07:10 AM
Do we have anyone capable of doing it? That also has the time?

we'll MAKE time. :evil:

Seeing as A LOT of the BZ1 community members are making "Hi-Res" versions of the NSDF/CCA Ships, why aren't we doing that for the ISDF/Scions?