• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Pop gun usefulness=?

Started by Josiah, December 16, 2009, 12:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josiah

just what is the pop gun designed for, besides knocking out snipers at the end of a strat? Could it be a tad more powerful?

I realize things could get out of hand:

damageBallistic = 1e10000

General BlackDragon

Pop gun is pretty useful already.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Ultraken

Its damage does seem low, but I think that was to balance its omnidirectional fire-and-forget "death from above" targeting.  I think it would be safer to reduce its extraordinarily high ammo cost a bit than increase its damage.

Josiah

it's a little more useful in RO. Besides those idiotic light tanks, the only thing that could see you cloaked was the pop gun, and the ai didn't use it. :evil:
ammo usage a tad lower would be nice...

Dx

Lets not change the balance in the stock game please. Someone can always mod that later but i don't think all will agree on it.

TheJamsh

damageBallistic = 1e10000

What does that flag do?

EDIT: wait never mind, its BZ1

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

eddywright

Chase down a wolverine that is dropping mines and firing a popgun, you'll see how useful popguns can be. Sure it's not a lot of power, but like Ken said, it's fire and forget so it works quite well when retreating (as do mines).

Eddy

Quote from: Josiah on December 16, 2009, 12:10:54 PM
Just what is the pop gun designed for, besides knocking out snipers at the end of a strat?

Someone once said it was the weapon of choice for flying targets...  (pssst...  FURIES...   :) )

-Av-

Ultraken

Dual SP-Stabber does a fine job, too.   :-D

bb1

If you feel like abusing the terrible collision detection, any weapon is effective against furies.

Firestorm29

My only gripe around Pop Guns is I often have a hard time scoring hits with them. I've often found then being easy to dodge, would there be a way to give them a slight semi-homing property or is that a bit much?

Josiah

eh, I think dx is right, in that the stock weapon shouldn't be changed. Maybe like someone said, make it be able to target a little better, maybe like a less powerful hornet? who knows...

eddywright

It comes down to the purpose of the popgun. It's clearly not a primary offensive weapon, you can use it in conjunction with other offensive weapons but you can also use it for defensive purposes (like those pesky snipers above your base).  Like I said, dropping mines and shooting off popguns while retreating can be pretty effective. If the pursuer stops to avoid the popguns, then you've accomplished your objective.

I would be hesitant to increase the power of the popgun, it's already hard enough to chase down BFT without mini-hornets smacking me in the face :)

Eddy

Red Devil

Was the hornet always so powerful?  It takes out a Flanker in one shot.
What box???