• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Ideas for foundations of the story

Started by Zero Angel, December 16, 2009, 09:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iron maiden

I agree, I believe time travel would just get to confusing and that is part of what brought the project to a stand still. I would go for what I had earlier and use a long range worm hole or near light speed type engine to get to the far off planet, should we keep it when we get back to production.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

Zero Angel

Do not use this thread to eliminate ideas or vote on which ideas are best or worst. That is not the purpose of this thread!
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

iron maiden

Pardon me ZA, but is the threads title not "Ideas for foundations of the Story"? We are here to find which ideas will work and which won't, and I do not think time travel will work.

Nielk1

And, it looks like this thread is going to have 2 or 3 ppl try to take complete control like other threads, throwing out ideas and promoting only their own.

Give ideas, don't trash them.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

I am not  just simply trashing the idea, I'm just saying that time travel would not be the wisest idea for the project,  I believe that it was you yourself said that time travel had to many loopholes and was difficult to work with.

And since you asked for more, here are some more ideas of mine:

A. A planetary implosion, a nice change from from usual destruction of planets.

B. Smaller factions located on the planet/planets you fight on. Not neccisarily a different faction, but kinda like a fifedom that broke away from the kingdom so to speak.

C. A much longer range missile defense system.

D. Some form of very large, aquatic, battleship type craft.

E. Again, black holes, love 'em

Clavin12

Maybe sum1 should be compiling these into a list as we go. I can do that. Oh, and...

What if instead of a planetary implosion something much less extreme but much creepier: a super disease.
C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

Oh, wait, I know I love black holes nad just remembered an interesting thing I saw on the show the Universe, and yes, this was also in Star Trek.

Use a black hole to cause the planet the implode and vanish, awesome!

bb1

Shockers- make the "bad guys" Even more loathsome
Multi-faceted- Separation of bad for the hell of being bad and the qualities that press them to be "bad"
   sub- Hadeans were bad for the hell of being bad. Scions were bad because of necessary actions and misleading info.
Vengeful main character- The main character didn't "join up" for a job or cowboy in space, he/she has alterior motives.
Chain of command- High ranking officer ineffective, another steps up and overthrows him/her.

Clavin12

Bad for the hell of being bad is not good for stories at all.

Oh and to Iron Maiden: If you stick your feet in your mouth and swallow you disappear! It's just amazing!
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

Bad is a term with no meaning. Morality and social tradition is all that gives it value. To be bad for the sake of being bad is wrong, what you are saying is that they are for the sake of being. As we do not know the meaning of life, this whole thing is rather moot.

Click on the image...

bb1

"what you are saying is that they are for the sake of being"

I say no such thing. I say they can't just be "Hadean Bad" and go killing...warlike race is dull and unattractive. Maybe there are reasons behind what they do to make the player think they are to be fired upon. Then the player has to decide if firing at them is the right way...that's the distinction.

Nielk1

Quote from: bb1 on December 18, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
"what you are saying is that they are for the sake of being"

I say no such thing. I say they can't just be "Hadean Bad" and go killing...warlike race is dull and unattractive. Maybe there are reasons behind what they do to make the player think they are to be fired upon. Then the player has to decide if firing at them is the right way...that's the distinction.

I was clearly addressing Clavin. I have NO IDEA how you could think I meant you when I clearly had no issue with your note. I was simply specifying that morality is what sets what a group does as good or bad in their own eyes. Nazis, by their morals, were good, but not by ours.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

Quote from: Nielk1 on December 18, 2009, 07:47:07 PM
Bad is a term with no meaning. Morality and social tradition is all that gives it value. To be bad for the sake of being bad is wrong, what you are saying is that they are for the sake of being. As we do not know the meaning of life, this whole thing is rather moot.

We'll see. But then this shouldn't be discussed here. Even so there should be a motive.
C l a v i n 1 2

bb1

Quotes help dissolve such ambiguity. Moving on.

Nationalities: Our planet has multiple nations and factions, what's to say other planets don't? If you go to another species homeworld, expect many many different factions/nationalities with different levels/styles/types of tech. Might be fun to hint upon but not get into too deeply; lest the CP take years and years upon years to develop.

Nielk1

The more alien something is, the less the little differences are noticed. They can however be useful though,

Click on the image...