• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Grizzly model...

Started by Josiah, December 18, 2009, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josiah

oops! forgot the 'hatch'...

yall see anything missing?

VSMIT

Hey, since you're doing a "high poly" version anyway, you can build some more of the detail into the model itself (i.e.: the "intakes" on the wings, the vents on the sides of the nose, etc.)  I also think that the grip on the turret extends the length of the turret portion, but that may just be my eyes playing tricks.

Edit: Also, the frame around the main cannon cylinder could use some beefing up.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Josiah

Quote from: VSMIT
Hey, since you're doing a "high poly" version anyway, you can build some more of the detail into the model itself (i.e.: the "intakes" on the wings, the vents on the sides of the nose, etc.)  I also think that the grip on the turret extends the length of the turret portion, but that may just be my eyes playing tricks.

Edit: Also, the frame around the main cannon cylinder could use some beefing up.

I can try to add some vents, but that is for sure going to blast the poly count up.

your eyes are not playing tricks on you... if you are keeping up with what TheWall is doing, you'll know that he said that there were lots of little detail problems. If you look at the 'regular' pic, look at where the main cannon connects to the turret; there are a lot of other little problems just like that. The answer to the why question is that they were: 1 lazy, 2 short on time, 3 didn't care.

VSMIT

I didn't mean actually modeling each individual louver slat, I meant just recessing where the vents are, to add in that bit of depth that can't really be achieved otherwise.

Also, in the pic that GBD put up, it doesn't look like there's a frame around the ribbed cylinder at all.  Looks like it's just a flat piece under it to hold up the square end.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Josiah

I didn't mean actually modeling each individual louver slat, I meant just recessing where the vents are, to add in that bit of depth that can't really be achieved otherwise.

oh, well check it out...

Also, in the pic that GBD put up, it doesn't look like there's a frame around the ribbed cylinder at all.  Looks like it's just a flat piece under it to hold up the square end.

yeah, but I just didn't do it. it was easier to do the way I did it. I guess I can do something about it tomorrow...

2 am: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

General BlackDragon

The 4 square edges around the barrel, there are no faces on the inside??? I can see through the far one in the slanted pic.

And no, there doesn't appear to be that on the top half of the barrel.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Josiah

Quote from: General BlackDragon
The 4 square edges around the barrel, there are no faces on the inside??? I can see through the far one in the slanted pic.

yeah, but it was late, and I didn't want to do it then. I will though, later.
Quote from: General BlackDragonAnd no, there doesn't appear to be that on the top half of the barrel.

whaa? could you explain a tad better? I probably missed what I posted  :lol:

Josiah

here is the model with the support for the tip of the cannon fixed, and the vent fixed...

look at the old vent and the new vent: the new one doesn't have the invisible spot on the inside tip.

Blunt Force Trauma

Ok. . . I'm mildly freaking out here.

Was checking out your model Josiah (nice progress BTW) and noticed the handrails.  My first thought was you thought my idea was something to incorporate, then looked closer at the ad art. . .and saw the Grizz HAD THEM!

Honest to God, I never knew that was considered before. I did my Grizz off the standard in-game model, which has no rails or hand grips and serendipitously added them.

FREAKY!  :-o

TheWall

Josiah,

Why don't we ("BZ'rs") share models and work corrobatively?

The "IN GAME" model I have, and have been using was sent to me in 3DS format, I BELEIVE and have been assuming is a direct extraction from the actual IN GAME Grizzly model. I see very minor differences in what you posted as the base Grizzly, than what I have been using.... Where did you come up with the Grizzly you're using? Do you want what I have/been using?

And, just curious, what software are you using?

Kevin - AKA TheWall

Josiah

Quote from: TheWall
Josiah,

Why don't we ("BZ'rs") share models and work corrobatively?

Sure, but I'm still working on it. I can give you the final model.

Quote from: TheWallThe "IN GAME" model I have, and have been using was sent to me in 3DS format, I BELEIVE and have been assuming is a direct extraction from the actual IN GAME Grizzly model. I see very minor differences in what you posted as the base Grizzly, than what I have been using.... Where did you come up with the Grizzly you're using? Do you want what I have/been using?

What I do for my bz1 modding, is take all the zfs files and create a folder structure in my documents; my docs/bz stuff/zfs dirs/bzone.zfs...bzhw16l.zfs...etc.
Then I take the files I need(agr11***.geo, avtank.vdf) and import them into max using dummy's import plugin. The zfs's are from the stock install with the original cd. the cd is the first released version(1998). so the 'regular' tank is exactly what is in the game. the latest 'drool tank'TM that I made is the 'regular' tank with the barrels cut off, the bumper added over the tip, the grips are just bent squares, and part that the intake vents are on is just bent straight(have you ever tried to make something with 47 different angles?).

Quote from: TheWallAnd, just curious, what software are you using?

Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2010 demo  :evil: it's not the full version, but it's free...

Josiah

Quote from: Josiah...and part that the intake vents are on is just bent straight(have you ever tried to make something with 47 different angles?).

this is what I mean...

Josiah

oops again! I forgot yall don't see wireframe; now you can see to the end of the vent...

EDIT: lol, wrong pic. was exact opposite of what I said...

General BlackDragon

So sexy.

:evil:

Anyone who want these tested ingame, send them over to me and i'll see what I can do with them in game, and tell you how much they lag :P

*****General BlackDragon*****

Commando

BFT's model would look cool ingame.  Your's most likely will too once textured.