• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Grizzly model...

Started by Josiah, December 18, 2009, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josiah

ok, I put some vents on the front, and kinda fixed the 'turret sticking out from base' problem. I think I'd better stop adding stuff to it, before I get carried away and make something that is not what it was intended to be. So here are the final(unless you see some ridiculous problem) pics...

If I can get a place to host them, I'll post the .3ds and .max files... Any suggestions on where to host?

General BlackDragon

www.filefront.com

Or email them to me, and I can put them up someplace a bit more private. rebelion2@rock.com

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

Quote from: General BlackDragon on December 19, 2009, 10:32:31 PM
www.filefront.com
Would you please stop promoting that crappy file host? There are much better free ones out there that actually WORK and don't delete your files without forewarning.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

AHadley

Quote from: Avatar on December 19, 2009, 03:50:24 PM
RL is killing me right now, as Christmas always does.

You know what they say about Christmas. Bad for your 'elf.

Blunt Force Trauma

Quote from: Josiah on December 19, 2009, 10:28:22 PM
ok, I put some vents on the front, and kinda fixed the 'turret sticking out from base' problem. I think I'd better stop adding stuff to it, before I get carried away and make something that is not what it was intended to be. So here are the final(unless you see some ridiculous problem) pics...

Looks darn good Josiah.

You've followed the model pretty close as far as I can tell with the views provided.  My only other comment was your choice of the 'wing' size was probably the best choice from looking at the two different sizes done in the ad posters.  The larger one, the one on the right, definitely matches the game best.

Dx

Quote from: General BlackDragon on December 19, 2009, 12:33:00 PM
ATM bz2 is the only game capable of using models with higher then 1-2k polies.

Not sure where you came up with that GBD i've had 25k models in Bz and up to 250k triangles being rendered in one scene.

TheWall

OK,

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af281/kmckenn_bucket/BZ-Album/GrizzlyINGAME-MakeOver.jpg (The original POLY model is BLACK)

For now, I have a functional evaluation copy of 3DS 2010, and have successfully extracted some IN GAME models, and ported them to the CAD software.

I've made a lot of extremely minor corrections to the IN GAME Grizzly model to correct symetry issues, be more suitable as eye-candy in the "real world", and slightly bettter for moulding/manufacturing.

An abberviated list of some minor corrections made:

#1 - The "turret" in the IN GAME model is slightly oversized to where it mates on the "hull" - CORRECTED
#2 - Where the main "Cannon" meets the turret, the turret was back-drafted, and the Cannon was slightly wider than where it mated to the turret - CORRECTED (GREEN)
#3 - The secondary Cannon (? - above the main Cannon) was not centered over the main Cannon, and minor corrections made to accomodate the backdraft corrections made to the turret (#2) - CORRECTED (GREEN)
#4 - The Rear Engine Pod did not porperly mate to the back of the hull, which also required many very minor changes to the rear engines. - CORRECTED (MAGENTA)
#5 - The Main Engines (side) were required minior changes to accomodate changes made to the back of the hull, Rear Engine Pod, and alignment of verticies to the sides of the hull. - CORRECTED (CYAN)
#6 - Rear Engine Pod hangs-over the hull on the bottom side, creating numerous modeling/manufacturing issues, let alone esthetic and engineering issues from '60's technology ;-) - CORRECTED (BLUE)
#7 - Many many many, very minor, verticie and poly, asymertry issues - CORRECTED (GREEN)

A side effect of a lot of those very minor corrections is actually a REDUCTION in the poly/trinagle count!

Kevin - AKA TheWall

Red Devil

Those models look very well done.  :-)
What box???

What's the 'in game model'?  Do you mean mine?  If so, don't worry about hurting my feelings and call it something like "Av's Grizzly".  :)  We don't want any more confusion than we already have if at some point you're going to switch to the actual in-game Grizzly extracted with Dummy's tools.

Or are you talking about the actual Grizzly from the game?  If so, wow, and I wonder if it's exporting in Dummy's exporter exactly as it was in the game?  For that matter, as it was under what patch?  The Grizz suffered a lot of messing around, apparently, in the various patches.  I know I absolutely HATE that the top barrel move one of the patches did...

So, if you're working with the extracted models maybe we should know what version?  I'd love to see them be straight 1.0 with no patches, but other people may have another opinion.

About my version:

The Grizz is one of the first models I did.  Since FON had one of his techs do the Czar on a Sun Workstation at work I felt the Grizzly should also be done, so I basically learned 3D Studio doing the Grizz, then the Razor and Badger.  BTW, that means the first BZ1 ship converted was done so on a hundred-some-thousand dollar graphics workstation, as FON is part of a special effects house.  He's at a different one now, or at least was last time I heard from him, as he's with the company that did the Balrog in LOTR...  He sent me some early computer generated fur on a rabbit from Hell once...  it was supposed to be a regular old rabbit but the technology was being developed...  so brrrrrr...   :)

3DS is only partly parametric, mostly GUI, and I rarely ever 'went by the numbers' when building faces and such.  You drag it, you drop it, and if it looks decent when zoomed out then you go with it.  There are a few tricks you can do to align verts but for most game models it's not a huge issue.  This'll make them annoying to anyone with a CAD background...   :p

I told my Boss, who's a big Autocad nut, that I was more a Max person than Cad.  He asked what the difference was, and I said "In CAD that box might be 4.3125 on a side, where in Max you drag it out and go 'That looks pretty good...'."   :)

There'll also be some overlap in all of my models as I hate seeing that gap between parts ingame.  Maybe if they were supposed to be alien tech and held together by energy or something it'd be different, but for human craft I imagine bearings and shafts, not just thin air.  Later on I started zooming way in and aligning them JUST short of touching, but the quick and easy way was to make them overlap.  I later was told that BZ2's renderer hates touching parts, though...

Blunt Force Trauma

Looks good Wallie.   I'm sure with textures, it'll look like a ...well... a Grizz.   :-)

Quote from: Avatar on December 20, 2009, 12:50:12 PM
 You drag it, you drop it, and if it looks decent when zoomed out then you go with it.  There are a few tricks you can do to align verts but for most game models it's not a huge issue.  This'll make them annoying to anyone with a CAD background...   :p

Yes, you can really see 'floating panels' where the eyes are on the grizz.

Also, I would LOVE to have a DM with maybe 1vs1 or 2vs2 (some number of ships to not overload the engine) of ultra high ply count ships.  That would SO cool!

TheWall

Here's one, for "food for thought"....

Since the IN GAME model now exists in the CAD domain, I decided to play with finding the CG of the Grizz.... And I can recall many-a-conversation regarding how the NOSE of the Grizz keeps from Bulldozing the terrain.

So, I mirrored the main engine thruster location over the CG (represented by the sphere in the center) to obtain the location required for the balance/counter thruster...  EHHH-HEMMmmmm so... if anyone who has input into the game units might find this tid bit of information "interesting".

RE: Which IN GAME model I extracted.... "1.0", from where I had the CD contents copied to my HD many-a-year ago.

Since the "1.0" Grizzly is NOW tweaked to CAD standards, should "we" (not me, I don't know $#%^ about how to get there) use the new CAD PERFECT Grizzly????

Kevin - AKA TheWall

TheWall

I stumbled upon the RENDERING settings I'd done the CG with... Kinda liked it so I player just a little with it, enough to where I liked it in a IN GAME sort of Concept ARTWORK.

BattlezoneRetroWALLpaper (1080x1920) http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af281/kmckenn_bucket/BZ-Album/BattlezoneRetroWALLpapaer.jpg

Crap.. Photobucket downsized it!

Kevin - AKA TheWall

Quote from: TheWall on December 20, 2009, 01:46:59 PM
Since the "1.0" Grizzly is NOW tweaked to CAD standards, should "we" (not me, I don't know $#%^ about how to get there) use the new CAD PERFECT Grizzly????

Well, it's to be expected that some 'processing' will have to take place to make the model...  and that the game version may have issues when converted to the real world equivalent.  I think what you've got there is perfect...  :)

The few CNC created models I've seen have had ridges that needed to be sanded out, and possibly a 'tail' that had to be cut off.  I'm not sure just what you'd end up with if you tried to create a Grizz from the final file, but assume it would at least have to be sanded a touch and then painted up...

Awesome...   :)

-Av-

TheWall

Av- I was thinking about going back FROM CAD to a NEW POLY model for use in the game! CAD to 3DS to ???

Kevin - AKA TheWall

General BlackDragon

Unfortunately i am ATM unable to reproduce it in game. It's crashing due to the msh for some reason. I need to tweak it in max. Josiah, it wouldn't hurt to run an optomize on some of the things that are done.

also the straight rods along side main barrel need to be more then 2 sided.

*****General BlackDragon*****