• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Zapping, Clicking speakers

Started by Clavin12, December 23, 2009, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

You know, my laptop is working know and I can access the web from it but I have a problem. Whenever it loads something from the web the speakers make zapping, crunching noises. It goes away when I put something in the headphone jack and lessens when I press down on the wireless card a little. Any ideas as to why it's doing this?
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

You might have a loose connection inside.

The oddest sound problem I've ever had was with my laptop. If I operated it without headphones it made an ear-piercing whistling shreik, and if I plugged something into the headphone jack it amplified the sound around me. It didn't have a microphone.

squirrelof09

Does it make a zap noise when you minimize and maximum? use your mouse, etc? I've seen this before. In my case, I switched to a PCI sound blaster Audigy and I got away from that. I haven't connected my CD drives to that sound card yet.

For now, go into your control panel and  your microphone/Line IN/ CD Audio. See if that helps.

I've had a laptop that would make that noise when a CD drive was present. Muting it fixed or playing an audio city fixed it.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Clavin12

Only when connected to the web. Whenever the card is accessed it zaps.
C l a v i n 1 2

ScarleTomato

sounds very much like interference from the wireless whenever it transmits. Have you recently taken it apart? If so, did you take out the shielding foil or the ferrite ring around either the speaker wires or the wireless card? if not, you may think about adding some foil in or trying to move the wires away from the components. I know I've had speakers and monitors that have gotten old and seem to become susceptible to cell phones around them.

squirrelof09

Ah yes. Would have helped if I had acknowledged everything in the first post :P. I would try ST's post.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Red Spot

Did you make any changes in your BIOS ?
Not sure if it could affect things but I just been googling, iirc, the PCI latency setting in the BIOS and from how I understand how it works it could cause problems with PCI devices ...
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Clavin12

A while ago I had taken it apart and was trying to remove the connector for the speakers, but didn't succeed. I'll bet that was what it is, but I'm not sure. Why would the speakers and the wireless be connected?
C l a v i n 1 2

ScarleTomato

They're probably not physically connected, it's just that there is electromagnetic interference from the wireless card. Even though the signal is a very high frequency it's probably aliasing at an audible frequency and generating a current at that frequency in the speaker wire.
The speakers then get this current and act as if the signal had been sent from the sound card and play the audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Nielk1

My on board sound went (still sad about it, was REALLY nice). I had quadraphonic I was using, but the rear started to sound like drowning cats. Then the recording did it. So I got a sound card thrown in.

Click on the image...

Void

have you tried going to your audio controls and muting your microphone? i know that sounds incredibly stupid but try it lol :mrgreen: