• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Tutorial: Exporting Gmax Models & Using LithUnwrap Tool

Started by GreenHeart, September 04, 2005, 04:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenHeart

Getting Your Model Ready For Export:
4.) Click "Unlink Selection"  (Note: Export Does not support linking).
6.) Select all objects that your model has.
5.) After all objects have been selected Click the "Utilites" button.
    from the right menu (Hint: Hammer Icon).
7.) Now click "Reset XForm" & Reset Selected.
8.) right click the model while all objects are still selected &
    chose Convert To" "Editable Mesh"
9.) now your model is ready for export.

Exporting Your Model  (Requires Quake 3 Plugin from Tempest Pack)_____________________________________________________________________

1.) Click file -> Export.
2.) Chose the File Location, New File Name, and Quake 3 (*.MD3) for the file type.
    (Note: you may need to install the MD3 plugin from the tempest pack)

3.) Click Save.
4.) Enter the number 0 in "The Following Frames"
5.) Uncheck "Show Warning Dialogs" to avoid getting multiple uv error message.
6.) Click Export Now.

Importing Your Model Into Ultimate Unwrap3D (Version2.20\Demo2.20)

3.) Left click the "+Groups" from the right menu to expand the list of objects.
4.) Right click the -Groups & select the following options "AutoHide" & "AutoSelect".
5.) Left click one of the objects from the group listing to select that object.
6.) Left click the white cube named "Box Mapping" & uncheck the option "Untangle UVs".
7.) Click Apply.
8.) Now Right Click "+Materials & Select "Delete All...).
9.) Right Click "+Materials" again & Select "Add".  
10.) Right click the New Material & choose Rename" to rename the material to "Material #1".
11.) Right click the New Material Named "Material #1" & select Properties.
12.) Click the "Maps" Tab & to the right of the Diffuse select the "Bitmap" option.
13.) Now click the Properties button that is to the right of "Bitmap".
14.) Click Change
15.) Find & Select your texture\image-template that you want to apply to the model.
16.) Click Open
17.) Click Ok to close Diffuse Map Properties.
18.) Click Ok to close the Material Editor for that Material.
19.) Now select the object you want to apply the material to by selecting
    from the group listing.
20.) Right click the Material Named "Material #1" & Select Apply.
21.) Save your Work.

Importing Your Model Into Ultimate Unwrap3D\Lithunwrap (Free Version)
3.) Left click the "+Groups" from the right menu to expand the list of objects.
4.) Right click the -Groups & select the following options "AutoHide" & "AutoSelect".
5.) Left click one of the objects from the group listing to select that object.
6.) click tools -> UV Mapping -> Box.
7.) Click ok.
8.) Now left Click "+Materials to expand the listing.
9.) Right click each material & select the "Delete" option.
10.) Repeat step 9 until all Materials have been deleted.
11.) Right Click "+Materials" & Select "Add".  
12.) Right click the New Material & choose Rename" to rename the material to "Material #1".
13.) Right click the New Material Named "Material #1" & select Properties.
14.) Click the "Maps" Tab & to the right of the Diffusse: Map Type select the "Bitmap" option.
15.) Now click the Properties button that is just below the "Bitmap".
16.) Click Change
17.) Find & Select your texture\image-template that you want to apply to the model.
18.) Click Open
19.) Click Ok to close Diffuse Map Properties.
20.) Click Ok to close the Material Editor for that Material.
21.) Now select the object you want to apply the material to by selecting
    from the group listing.
22.) Right click the Material Named "Material #1" & Select assign.
23.) Save your Work.

FAQ

Question #1:(LithUnwrap\Ultimate Unwrap3D)
How do i open that right menu?'

Answer 1a: (Free Version)
click view -> show Scene Window.

Answer 1b: (Version2.20\Demo)
click Windows -> Scene

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Question #3: (LithUnwrap)
How do i click tools -> UV Mapping -> Box when the button is grayed out ?'

Answer 3: (Free Version)
You cannot apply uvw mapping when you have the option "select by vertex" enabled.
(Fix: See Question 4)

Question #4: (LithUnwrap\Ultimate Unwrap3D)
How do i enable select by face so i can Uv Map the object.

Answer 4a: (Free Version)
Click the button named "Select By Face" look near the preview button for a triangle icon.

Answer 4b: (Version2.20\Demo)
Click the button named "Select By Face" look at the left menu for a white cube icon.

Question #5: (Gmax)
After using Reset Xform my object has turned inside out why & how do i fix this?

Answer 5: (Gmax)
Well this usually happens if you've mirrored another object & you can fix this by applying the "Normals" Modifier & flipping the normals back.
then you should reapply the reset xform again & your object shouldn't flip inside out again. just don't forget to collapse the stack by repeating step 8.

Question #6: (Gmax)
Whats the sense of using Reset XForm & converting my objects to an editable mesh (Step 8)?

Answer 6: (Gmax)
Well your resetting various information for the export & it will also allow you to link them to any parent object in notepad without them moving or rotating when they are linked properly. basicly it helps you setup your model properly in notepad without your parts moving or rotating.
i've also experenced exporting bugs which can be fixed by using this method of resetting various information. Also make sure you've unlinked any objects you've previously linked because Reset Xform & the Quake 3 Plugin don't support your objects being linked to another objects.

Question #7: (Ultimate Unwrap3D\Lithunwrap)
Ultimate UnWrap wont let me save my work is there any way around this without buying it?

Answer 7: (Ultimate Unwrap3D\Lithunwrap)
I have 2 different instructions in this Tutorial that can be either used for the FREE VERSION or REGISTERED VERSION.   Note: if using the demo &  your not a registered user then you cannot save unless either your using the free version  which is free to download or buy the newer version. I'd suggest buying the newer version because its a whole lot better.

Ultimate UnWrap: ( Pay version maybe found here)
http://www.unwrap3d.com/downloads.aspx

LithUnwrapper:  (Free Version)
http://www.bzuniverse.com/~fish.xsi/download/LithUnwrap.zip

Convert from GMAX to XSI

Gmax
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

Lizard

I've made this sticky , it'll save people having to hunt for it . :)

I'm no Gmax or Max user but there looks to be some good info in here , thanks GH .

I've left the thread open for the time being just incase anyone has anything else they'd like to add , if anyone spams this topic (posts that don't add to the info above) their posts will be deleted and the topic locked .

..... I give it about 2 hrs til this topic is locked ;) .

Edited to remove non relevant posts , no offence to those concerned ;) .

GreenHeart

Added 2-3 last FAQ question on gmax so people understand the Importance of using Reset XForm & removing the modifier stacks by converting your objects to editable mesh so your exported don't messup.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

3nyce

Grrrreat! Thanks GreenHeart... It helped me alot... Now I can get workin' on some Gundams when I'm done this damned HTML Project.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Spawn

the 3dsmax company (forgot name) got rid of it, there is the 3dsmax trial version which you need to reinstall every 30 days though

As long as there's a copy of the install files somewhere nobody can 'get rid of it'.

I love that about the Internet...   :)

-Av-

General BlackDragon

hey! ill toss my install exe thingy up on TV? or if noting else then a zip version of my install? LOL

Raven

Umm people, i think ive said this somewhere else before...De Ja Vu...But anyway.
Goto http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax and clik the big stinkin' green button that says download GMAX thats at the right side. It downloads GMAX free, LEGALLY. NO registration needed, no nothing, just download, install, use, done.
So theres no need to put it on anywhere, itl only get you in trouble. Heres fine, if anyones gonna get done, its Turbosquid....Not you!

Bob the Dinosuar

somewhere around here I posted a GMAX code, but if they rereleased it....

you had to set your clock to april 2005 and enter the code, I'll put it here if they remove it.

GreenHeart

Quote from: SaderBiscut on February 08, 2006, 04:45:45 PM
somewhere around here I posted a GMAX code, but if they rereleased it....

you had to set your clock to april 2005 and enter the code, I'll put it here if they remove it.

Set your clock back to the date you've receive the email containing the reg code in order to get gmax to accept your old reg key or just register for a new reg code.
Signature:

Raven

What reg code? DONT tell me gmax runs out after say a year.....

General BlackDragon

mrtwosheds

If you make a model in litheunwrap, the .lum file should be used to save your work unoptimised, so polys dont get triangulated and make further alterations difficult, or cover your mapping.bmp's in diagonal lines.

GreenHeart

Quote from: Raven on February 09, 2006, 01:08:28 PM
What reg code? DONT tell me gmax runs out after say a year.....

The Reg Key will only work during a certain date so you'll need to activate gmax within that date.  Once Gmax is activated then you don't have to worry about gmax expiring.  You should write down the date you receive your reg key incase you need to reinstall gmax & reactivate it.  Gmax only needs to be activated once installed & after that you can set your system clock to the proper date without worring about it ever expiring.   My Gmax program was activated afew years ago & still works today.  it may have gained abit of dust since i bought 3ds max 8 but gmax is still installed on my system incase i need to export a model from gmax.  

More tutorials on various modding for bz2 maybe found at www.bzcommand.com
Signature: