• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Known bug: EMBM Bump Mapping

Started by Angstromicus, February 28, 2006, 07:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

This is the best that I can describe the bug.

Whenever EMBM is enabled, in mission isdf04.bzn, there's terrain .xsi models on it. Whenever you get close and look at it wrong, a scion texture appears on it quite obviously. This probably happens with all terrain (at least pluto terrain).

Edit: Oh, and, terrain must be set to high in graphics.

Edit(CmptrWz): Changed "Major" to "Known" as this is by no means a major bug, and is quite known.

Lizard

This is a known issue, BZ2 has always been like this with EMBM enabled , it's one of those bugs where it's more trouble than it's worth to fix it.

General BlackDragon

if it bothers you, turn it off....

thats what i do...:)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Ultraken

The EMBM support is very marginal.  Getting that to work correctly would take some serious work on the graphics engine.  I'm half-tempted, but I've never written a D3D application and I know I'd break all kinds of things.

Red Devil

Hey, what the heck, give it a whirl as a side project.  If it doesn't completely pan out, you'll at least have expanded horizons.  I know Overmind likes to program in D3D and he would love to work on it too. (Down OM, down!)
What box???

Ultraken

I suppose converting BZ2 over to a nice clean implementation of DX9 would be good for modders, but I'd have to tear out pretty much the whole rendering system.  The current one is pretty heavily fux0red.  :-D

(Getting rid of software T&L would certainly be nice.)

Red Devil

That would *really* be nice.  I think it would cool off my den by at least 10 degrees due to my CPU running cooler.  :-)
What box???

OvermindDL1

Depending on how easy it would be to tear out the rendering system, plugging in something like Ogre would allow both D3D9 and OpenGL, plus it is quite simple to use.

Now that is something I'd give a try to. :)

BZZERKER

LOOK OUT....CODE ELF ON THE LOOSE!

Juvat

QuoteGetting that to work correctly would take some serious work on the graphics engine.  I'm half-tempted, but I've never written a D3D application and I know I'd break all kinds of things.

Ahhh wow I live in hope, wait till I win Lotto and I'll pay u and Nathan to do it :-) :-) :-)

Go on Ken take a punt and do it!!!!

Ultraken

If you think things are flaky now, just wait until I break everything by replacing the renderer.  :-D

That's one good reason to stay away from it, no matter how much I'd like to.  Still, hardware T&L.  :)
(I do have a partial DX8 conversion that was a prototype for what eventually became Star Wars: Clone Wars, but it was not full-featured.)

Red Devil

Hey, ya gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, right?   :wink:
What box???

GSH

Replacing out render code is easy to get the first 50% done. The last 50% takes the other 90% of your copious free time. And more. Rewriting things just to do things right goes a lot faster when you don't have to be bug-for-bug compatible with glow maps in the middle of local fog.

-- GSH

Red Devil

Any chance you could unleash OM on some of it?  He's just nutty about that stuff in a "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs" kind of way.
What box???

Juvat

Sure would be nice, Oh well at least you considered it  :-D :-D

Cheers Guys