• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Balance/ Physics Patch

Started by Red Devil, March 01, 2006, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

PB2 will need to have a balance-and-physics patch made for it by the community.

While beta testing, I made a lot of tweaks to the physics to get the ships back to 1.2 behavior and they seemed to work very well, but then I ran out of energy and interest, so just to let you know that it is possible.

I also made a bunch of other adjustments which I may release in the form of a variant or two or whatever once I feel better.

Also, one of the known issues is the stuttering of targeted/objectified units past 249 meters.

Smoothing of units is made adjustable in the Gameprefs.ini file.
What box???

Huscar

"once I feel better"

is that because your sick or RL issues? Well whatever it is, GL with it.

Anyhow, I thought you were practically done with it, oh well I guess not. How far did you get?

Red Devil

Concussion from hitting the back of my head on the ice while walking around the side of the house (ice from the downspot under the snow), plus a kidney infection/possible stone(s).  Been faling asleep a lot/fuzzy-headed from the concussion and on Cipro for the infection.  Need to have a root canal next week too.

Anyways, I got pretty far with all the stuff I was working on.  Just need to sort it all out and package it is all.

Variant(s) will have different types of commandable soldiers (Infantry, Grenadiers, Rocketeers, Anti-Tank, Snipers, Saboteurs), much better AI, physics, weapons, etc.

Be awhile though.
What box???

deadscion

Ouch!!!  Hope you are feeling better.

The first thing needed is a set of instructions on physics adjustments.

Where and what amounts are practical.

A lot of users need convincing a 1.2 physics Recycler Variant is possible.

A search of the readme and changelog only hints at stuff most people can not understand.

Plus if there is an instruction set for vehicle physics I have not been able to find it.

The biggest number of BZ2 fans could be brought into the realm of 1.3 this way.

Why just vehicle physics anyway? Why not be able to create a moontype  light gravity environment with blanket adjustments in the map editor? 
A low gravity environment would sure test the skill many a player.

Huscar

You ehm... really shouldn't be sitting behind your pc with a concussion.

DS: I think that'd require you to change every single odf there is :P
or, of course, one could write a program that looks through all the files for say, jumpheight (whatever that line is called) and multiplies whatever value it is set at with a given number. Not something I'm able to code though. Actually I can't code a thing.
And not to forget, explosions would look different too, and maybe bio-metal would be floating around insted of staying on the ground.

EDIT. And you'll have to redo pilot animations! Although they do walk funny already...

Gravity has been brought up time and time again, and isn't changeable due to the number of things that reference it.

Believe me, if it were easy to do it would have been done.  Nathan was extremely generous when it came to giving us control over previously hardcoded values. 

He would have if he could have, but asking him to rewrite the engine would have been a bit much.

-Av-

Scout

if by by biggest number of bz2 fans you mean random 1.3 nubs then yes some sort of readme stating the obvious could get them in this patch.

otherwise it just sounds like an anti-anti fly patch people moaned over when the first public release was out, ill probably be happy with pb2 Stock, others seriously wont care, and 1.2'ers wont switch, same as always.

A great deal of the frustration 1.2 players probably felt over the physics was NOT knowing what they could adjust and what they couldn't.  The Modders understand the mechanics but not necessarily the issues, and the 1.2'ers understand the issues but not the mechanics of it.

It'll take some reasonable, civil communication between the two in order for a physics Recycler variant to be released.  A modder to mod, and testers to test, stick with it, and report reliably what needs changing.

It's up to the Community to make that happen...

-Av-

Red Devil

Real easy to increase/decrease gravity.  I have it in my variant somewheres.
What box???

Spawn

BZZERKER

I think he's using a combination of setAltitude/alphaTrack/alphaDamp to get a gravity "feel".

Spawn

Oh, I thought he found some variable and got really confused.

GSH

The "vets" are pissed off about physics changes, and now they demand *more*? Doesn't seem consistent to me.

-- GSH

BZZERKER

I'm just guessing Spawn, I could be totally wrong. It does seem the most logical way to "change" gravity.

Quote from: GSH on March 02, 2006, 12:46:32 PM
The "vets" are pissed off about physics changes, and now they demand *more*? Doesn't seem consistent to me.

-- GSH

*sigh* If your responding to Scout, may I suggest saving your breath. Every time he comes here as of late, he has not really had anything worth reading (just the usual BZ2 can't do this or BZ2 can't do that...but game "X" can).

Spawn

They want it to be like 1.2 ideally, though they know that can't happen so they just want something slightly closer.