• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Balance/ Physics Patch

Started by Red Devil, March 01, 2006, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

Just went and looked.  I used mass and alphaDamp/alphaTrack.  Using those, I could make a ST unmoveable or make an Assault Tank bounce around like a beach ball.

Quote from: Spawn on March 02, 2006, 12:21:53 PM
Care to say how?
What box???

General BlackDragon

hehe,...that assault tank thing is fun, ive done it :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

deadscion

Ok so gravity is not practical no biggie.

So what about some kind of instructions for adjusting physics, instead of Red Devil not so informative comments.

Quote from: GSH on March 02, 2006, 12:46:32 PM
The "vets" are pissed off about physics changes, and now they demand *more*? Doesn't seem consistent to me.

-- GSH

I could have said a lot more about this but for the time being let's just call it uncalled for.

LastBoyScout

Hi,

I am perfectly comfortable with the behavior of 1.3. As far as I am concerned there is no need to go back to anything. I know my opinion is not important for your decision wether to create a patch or not. But I am not sure if there are that many out there who really want to use this?

Angstromicus

Quote from: Avatar on March 02, 2006, 08:24:16 AM
Gravity has been brought up time and time again, and isn't changeable due to the number of things that reference it.

Believe me, if it were easy to do it would have been done.  Nathan was extremely generous when it came to giving us control over previously hardcoded values. 

He would have if he could have, but asking him to rewrite the engine would have been a bit much.

-Av-

I have an idea to "change gravity".

Change the scale of everything on the map. Bigger maps and bigger objects would simulate lower gravity, and vise versa.

Huscar

Why wouldn't RD's mass work? :P (as that's basically all that gravity really is)

@RD, go back to bed you've got a concussion. I don't wanna see you around for a week and a half :P

Red Devil

Mass is more for being...budge-able.  The others are for bounciness.

There's also the new ODF entires from GSH for tracked vehicles which really help with tracked vehicle tracking and can make them bouncy or not bouncy.

[TrackedVehicleClass]
NormalTrackFactor = 0.0 // may need to be > 0 for some of the other params to take effect
pitchThrust = 0.0
rollSteer = 0.0
alphaTrack = 0.0

alphaDampX = 0.0
alphaDampZ = 0.0

COLLISION_RAISE =  0.5
SUSPENSION_MIN = -0.2
SUSPENSION_MAX = 0.3
SPRING_FACTOR = 2.0 // minimum value: 0.01
DAMPING_FACTOR = 2.0   // 2.0 = critical damped, minimum value: 0.01
TREAD_STATIC_FRICTION = 1.5

Thanks, I'm feeling better lately.  Still have the kidney thing going on though.  Going in for an IP scan next week.
What box???

Spawn

Hopefully its nothing serious.

And mass is much different from gravity.  You don't see plates sticking to you, do you?

DrummaDude

can pilots die if they fall from a certain height? i wanna be able to do that so badly.

Self_Destructo

heh, then everytime you respwn, you die.... how dumb.

APCs r evil

No. Simply because they do not accelerate past a certain point when falling straight down. It is only when falling straight down at full speed that you get damaged.

Huscar

Quote from: Spawn on March 03, 2006, 04:35:17 PM
And mass is much different from gravity. You don't see plates sticking to you, do you?
If I am not mistaken every object excersizes a pulling force on another object (gravity) relative to mass and distance... so yes it is different but very closely related.

Quote from: Total Oblivion Omnis on March 03, 2006, 03:18:02 PM

I have an idea to "change gravity".

Change the scale of everything on the map. Bigger maps and bigger objects would simulate lower gravity, and vise versa.

That's what Sloar did with 'Epic', right down to expanding the grid size...  larger scale doesn't make it feel like lesser gravity...

Quote from: SpawnAnd mass is much different from gravity.  You don't see plates sticking to you, do you?

Um...  aren't they supposed to?  Maybe I should cut down on cheezits...  :)

-Av-

BZ FeebleEffort

Back to point 1....Great idea, I hope you get input from the MP strat players for this..because(from what I've seen posted) most of the MP strat community has basically passed on 1.3.

This idea certianly seems like the right way to approach it... but you'll need to appraoach it with their input. Otherwise, they'll be "left out" and inspite of best intentions, it will be strike 3 for 1.3.

Best of luck.

By the way, 1.3 MPI- as I play it alone alone, is fun.

Ultraken

I'll be staying out of that meatgrinder, thanks.  :D