• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Small Gripes

Started by General_Hoohah, March 05, 2006, 07:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Hoohah

Im sure everyone complains about this on a normal basis but was any attempt made to fix the problem of units trying to drive through buildings? Can it be done? I can't tell you how many times I've had to get scavs unstuck from towers, over the last few days.

Also, is there a way to get more use out of mines? AI ships ALWAYS see them and shoot them from a distance. Its stupid and pointless, and ruins any chance of ever being creative with mines in mods. Is there a way to make it so AI can't see them unless they are close enough... or make them invisible to radar? ...or something?! I really wanted to introduce some new ideas for mines into a mod Im working on with Greenheart, but every mine idea would be totally pointless since the AI ALWAYS see them from a distance and kill them every single time. Maybe only a particular unit could see them from a slightly longer distance than other craft, like scouts? Maybe I just missed something and theres a way around this problem?
And remember, any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

BZZERKER

I have a small gripe of my own.

Why don't ppl read the changelog BEFORE complaining about something. Just do a keyword search or two to see if what you are about to complain about has been worked on. If it has and it doesn't seem to work like you think it should (according to what has been mentioned in the CL) THEN you can come here and tell us that it's broken.

Ultraken

Quote from: BZZERKER on March 05, 2006, 10:15:36 AM
Why don't ppl read the changelog BEFORE complaining about something. Just do a keyword search or two to see if what you are about to complain about has been worked on. If it has and it doesn't seem to work like you think it should (according to what has been mentioned in the CL) THEN you can come here and tell us that it's broken.

Because it would be hard:)

The changelog is gigantic; I spent several hours reading what Nathan's been doing in my absence, and there's a lot there.  It's also fairly technical in presentation, so it takes some doing to find things.

squirrelof09

QuoteJust do a keyword search or two to see if what you are about to complain about has been worked on.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

BZZERKER

Sorry Ken, As much as I respect you, I have to disagree. Non beta ppl only need check the changelog from the time PB1 was released. Picking up where PB1 left off, I did a search for "buildings", I found 20 entries, only 2-3 tops were about the first complaint and the main one I found was rather plainly worded. I don't know the first thing about programming (just how to edit ODF's, and move things around in CFG's) so it's not like I fully understand everthing in the CL but I have a pretty good grasp on most of it.

Red Devil

The thing is, most players don't have any understanding of ODF's or XSI's or .ini files or the technical side of things, nor do they want to delve into it.  They just want to know in - layman's terms - what's changed and it's up to us to bridge that gap for them.

In other words, just because we can read and understand it, does not mean that others can too.  Heck, I even have problems understanding some things, so I'm not surprised others without any familiarity can't understand it.
What box???

BZZERKER

From 63d

Quote- Code added to push away tracked vehicles from buildings if they're
colliding for more than about a half-second. (Same principle as the
building effect). This may help tracked units from getting embedded in
the first place. One savegame from RedDevil has a ST embedded in a GT,
yet the two claim they're not colliding(!). Such savegames won't be
fixed by this change; I'm wondering if this change is sufficient to
keep them out of each other in the first place. [NM]

Not sure how much more layman that can get?

Spawn

A lot if you think about it.  You were there for that and knew what to search for too.  I know most of the general changes, what is different because i read the changelog every time a new version came out, but when you dont know anything or what to look for, then it can be a bigger problem to find anything, and then to immediately be able to find out that it is useful.

BZZERKER

Even if I hadn't been part of the beta team, my first thought would have been "OK, I'm having a problem with units gettings stuck in buildings...let's do a search for 'units', 'buildings', 'stuck' and see what I can find out about this problem". Of course, maybe today's kids aren't that smart or maybe they're just lazy.....who really knows?

Spawn

That snippet has only has buildings in it, once, and think about all the other things which have the word buildings.  He saw this as a problem, why would it have already been fixed if it wasn't?

BZZERKER

Please read entire topic from the beginning.

Spawn

Oh, never mind.  I got this confused with another topic.  Still, its much easier to ask someone who knows what to look for.

BZZERKER

lol....How many times have I told you to stop looking at shiny objects?

Spawn

*begins to count on fingers but wanders off*

General_Hoohah

Hey wait a minute guys. Before you go off on a tangent, I looked at the changelog before I posted and yes I saw some things having to do with mines and AI, and saw nothing about what I posted. Quit assuming everyone isn't reading the changelog! I READ IT! While yes, many MANY people are stupid or just lazy, EVERYONE isn't BZZERKER. Quite a few people in this forum are intelligent, get a grip.

I thought maybe a little work had been done on the AI but maybe some stuff wasn't mentioned because it wasn't successful? Try try again?
And remember, any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.