• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Not possible to see accurate position of a unit.

Started by appel, March 05, 2006, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appel

In this deathmatch, all the units, the players and bots, were impossible to hit.

Take this ai bot for example:

I have a target lock on it, it's moving slower than a scav, the dot is like 40 m to the right, and I'm shooting at the actual warrior, not the dot...and I'm not doing any damage. I'd expect this in 1.2 while the unit was moving at 500 mph, but when the units aren't moving fast I'd expect to see their actual position.

Spawn

The odd thing about this is that tli seems perfectly accurate, its just the visual immage warping behind the ship.  Also, this does have a cyclic nature, the visual gets farther and farther behind then jumps back to relatively close.  All moving ships do it, from scavs to tanks.

BZ FeebleEffort

Maybe I'm over-estimating?...but that sorta seems like a killer bug.

Spawn

Oh, it is.  Pretty eazy to hit if you use the red dot, but if you rely on the visual like you should be able to then you wont hit anything.

appel

So, let me get this right.

- In 1.2 you could shoot at nearby slow moving units without getting a target lock on them, and you would be sure to hit them. So, you *always* see nearby slow moving units in their actual position without the need to get a target lock on them.

- In 1.3 you have to get a target lock on them, and aim for the dot, because you can't trust what you see on the screen. So, you never see units in their actual position in 1.3.

I'll let you guys think about this for a moment, and judge which one is better.  :roll:

Red Devil

Yes, it looks like an obvious bug that creeped in at the last moment (as they are wont to do).  Please don't expect an immediate fix for it though.  I know it's frustrating, but these things take time and the guys who fix it have lives too.
What box???

Spawn

This hasn't creeped in at the last minute.  It has always been there, it was there since pb1, it was there before that too.  Maybe more pronounced mow, but the visual lagging behind the actual was there since ghosting was fixed.  Go ask scout about it.

Commando

Based on a direct comparison of the public beta and the last private build, the problem got drastically worse for the public beta release candidates.  In the last public beta, you could collide into a unit without clipping half way into the unit's model.  The model's position was for the most part accurate.  Issues did arrise for strafing units, but units traveling in a straight line were accurately placed.

GSH

Well, I left a lot of tuning values in. Nobody ever seems to be playing with things.

-- GSH

Commando

I started toying with them the night I noticied the unit positioning problem.  I didn't have much luck getting more accurate positioning, but I also don't have a complete understanding of what each value changes and how the changes affect units ingame.

Spawn

I played with them, doesn't cahnge much.  Only useful factor is game.showsmoothline into the console because that will point to where the ship actually is.

spAce

QuotePretty eazy to hit if you use the red dot

Sadly that dot is delayed too, even in lan games. Hard to mount visual stuff to hit spheres/boxes ? And this problem already was in every bz2 version,  its just much more terrible in both 1.3 beta releases. Imo the issue made the game unplayable already in 1.3pb1 and it infact was the reason why i stopped playing/modding for 1.3.

Commando

Adjusting game.maxsmooth to a high value (10) decreased the length of the line displayed by game.showsmoothline.  The collision box and scav model were also positioned pretty accurately, but this was in linear testing, the scavenger driving in a straight line.  I did not test a unit strafing back and forth, which would require human vs. human testing because the ai doesn't take advantage of strafeing.

Red Devil

What box???

spAce

I was wondering if its possible to adjust a complete sync (mounting) with collision spheres/boxes in visual studio ? Not sure, but it seems that those collision spheres/boxes react to inputs correctly.