• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Preliminary Physics Tweaks Posted

Started by Red Devil, March 06, 2006, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General BlackDragon

the odf's ive reviewed have several bugs, lights removed, etc. The thumper changes into laser_a????

the scout has needspilot = 1, thats an invalid typo, should be "needPilot = 1"

ill look more and see what i can find.

I played with them, and i like the feel of the scout and such not. They feel more realistic, i must admit that, and feels like it hugs the ground, but it seems to jump too easy / high when ramping off a cliff. Dunno if thats just me or what.

Keep up the good work, sorry for a long day :P

I hope that you will go over these again before you release them as finished.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Red Devil

Thanks for the feedback, GBD.  I wasn't very careful when posting those assets.  I'll go through them better next time.
What box???

GreenHeart

Quote from: Raven on March 06, 2006, 01:34:47 PM
Mmmmmmkay, i was expecting a gameprefs.ini...this lot goes where? And it wont screw assets up? just checking...

Installing any of Red Devils Assets will cause bad assest. Red Why dodn't you just turn this into a recycler variant to avoid bad assets for the physics tweak testing so it won't ruin things for some players...
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

BZZERKER

Quote from: GreenHeart on March 07, 2006, 12:42:11 AM
Quote from: Raven on March 06, 2006, 01:34:47 PM
Mmmmmmkay, i was expecting a gameprefs.ini...this lot goes where? And it wont screw assets up? just checking...

Installing any of Red Devils Assets will cause bad assest. Red Why dodn't you just turn this into a recycler variant to avoid bad assets for the physics tweak testing so it won't ruin things for some players...

Are you kidding me? You mean he didn't do the variant like he said he was? RD, maybe you hit your head harder than you thought. :roll:

I sure hope you fixed the msl scouts RD. The masses may be less forgiving than the beta team. ;)

General BlackDragon

I think he may have released this as sortof a "beta" and not a final. I assume he expects the community to be smart enough to test it only with those that also have it, and know how to remove it. :P

*****General BlackDragon*****

GreenHeart

There are two ways to remove Red Devils Tweaks.   

The first way would be to delete the folder "RD-Tweaks" from your addon.

the second way would be to reinstall a fresh copy of bz2 & apply the pb2 patch.

Also those that are testing Red Devils tweaks bewared that Red Devil gets cared away with whatever he touches so their are more files that should be tweaked in his RD-Tweaks folder.  why he hasn't just created a recycler variant for the mpi & strat without the extra files is beyond me.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

This is what's known as a "Fruedian Slip":

bewared that Red Devil gets cared away with whatever he touches

He gets "carried away" because he "cares"...   :)

Beware!  Code Elves from Enthusiastic Fans come...

-Av-

Red Devil

Good grief...

People complain about physics.

I don't see *anybody* doing *anything* about it.

I put some assets out there that show that they can be improved upon, plus some other fun assets.

Big deal. It's in one main folder that anybody can click and drag to remove.

I'm getting tired of doing that though, so I think I'll just start putting them all in addon like you do, Greenheart..

Better yet, I think I'll just add them to the Pak file and make it a lot easier on myself.
What box???

Red Devil

Here's a link to the most recent tweaks.

The Thumper is much saner (less fun though..)

Fixed the needPilot entries (thanks GBD)

I'll hold off on adjusting the jump.  Lights were reduced before due to people complaining about framerates.

Anyways, some of this stuff is just provided as a taste of what can be accomplished. 

We should seriously focus on the physics and balance now that a work-around has been found now.

http://www.spike.http.co.il/uploads/up/A001241.zip
What box???

appel

I think everybody knows what needs to be done to get more people playing 1.3, and those who I've spoken to say it's possible to revert most of the changes done to 1.3, so it will be more like 1.2.

I'm talking about; ships physics, terrain-bouncing, multiplayer warp-smoothing.

These are the three main issues that need answers, and I think you guys should try to address them. Come up with concrete solutions to each of those three, post them and get feedback.

Spawn has already started work on those, so you guys need to team up.

"We"...  and by that I mean the active beta team members most of which AREN'T strat players, DO know what the issues are. 

The problem is that those that want it "fixed" are the critical ingredient in the mix.  Not much can be done without a pool of them to test the changes and guide the modders.  It's not just a question of putting some odf numbers back to 1.2 values.

Getting a representative group of them together that are willing to DL and test, DL and test, DL and test, is the hardest part.

It's all about the feedback.  :)

-Av-

Lizard

Just to back up what Avatar said, there are quite a few of us in the community with both the necessary skills and the willingness to help tweak this patch into something that all of us can enjoy. But it's almost impossible to produce something that will please everyone if we can't actually tell what it is they want, we could just make a bunch of random changes but it would be like stumbling around in the dark, it would be very arbitrary as to whether we actually managed to get anything right .

The process of getting things right is a process of refinement where YOU tell US what you percieve the problems to be then we go away and try to put those issues right, then you test etc. and you keep on repeating this process until eventually we get it right . It may take a bit of time to get things perfect but it's far from impossible, it'll take cooperation from both sides of the community to achieve it effectively but I have no doubts at all that it can be done .

My only real big worry with this patch was the multiplayer warp issue, but as this has now been resolved I see no reason at all why things can't be modded into something that will make us all happy .

Red Devil

Yes, I would love some good, CONSTRUCTIVE feedback...  (sorry)

Got some good feedback from GBD and Spawn, but little else.

Still not sure about what you were talking about last night, Spawn.  Do you mean the inertia after taking your foot off the gas?
What box???

appel

It's easy, compare the difference of 1.2 and 1.3, you'll know what to fix.

Regarding ship's physics, I agree, that's more of a trial-and-error thing, but the other two I mentioned are not.

GSH

The major gripes about things, including whines about how turrets aim & shoot, come down to one major question:

Is the behavior you want impossible, or is it just not the default?

Sadly, I think many people have put their pet gameplay styles as a point of pride, and have gotten majorly offended when their pet bugs aren't enshrined as the default out of the box.

-- GSH