• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Preliminary Physics Tweaks Posted

Started by Red Devil, March 06, 2006, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

appel

Quote from: GSH on March 07, 2006, 10:42:42 AM
The major gripes about things, including whines about how turrets aim & shoot, come down to one major question:

Is the behavior you want impossible, or is it just not the default?

Sadly, I think many people have put their pet gameplay styles as a point of pride, and have gotten majorly offended when their pet bugs aren't enshrined as the default out of the box.

-- GSH

Pet bugs?

Red Devil

Yes, that is why I need - nay, crave - input from as many people as possible, to get a large sample.  That way, my personal preferences don't overshadow the physics and balance and the majority rules.

Also, some may think it's tedious work testing physics and providing good, constructive feedback, but just think how tedious it is doing the actual editing of hundreds of files.
What box???

Red Devil

Pet bugs is like gameplay styles.  I've run into so many objections on doing things because it changes the way some people play. Drives me cuckoo.

I'll put that ground bounce thing in and see how you like it.
What box???

Quote from: appel on March 07, 2006, 10:40:25 AM
It's easy, compare the difference of 1.2 and 1.3, you'll know what to fix.

Easy to type, but hard to do.  No two of us see/play/feel this game the same way.  I'm perfectly happy with the current physics including the ground bumping, and I challenge anyone to prove they spend more than the almost six hours a day I've spent cruising around in the engine over the last two weeks as I frantically try to get my mod done.  Seriously, the dogs are starting to growl at me when I come out of the computer room...  I have to let them sniff me and give them a minute to remember who I am. 

Some nights I have BOTH computers going and am actually running both keyboards to compare physics between BZ1 and 2.   :)

It can't be done by the numbers, by just tweaking odf's.  It has to have human feedback to the changes.

Seriously.

The best thing I've seen yet was that map with a bunch of differently configured Scouts on it.  MP players could hop in, bop around, and vote on which Scout they liked the best.  To me that's perfect, as it gets the assets out there side by side to compare whenever someone can get people together to do it...

-Av-

Red Devil

Thank you.  At last, someone...

I can't release a variant without people agreeing on the basic physics.

I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't:

If I release a variant where the people don't like the physics, it dies on the vine.

If I post stuff to try to get feedback on physics, people start running around like Chicken Little saying I'm killing BZ2 and causing bad assets.  Well, duh!, of course you're going to get bad assets if you're not testing them.

It's nucking futs I tell ya...

I've had a DM up for the past 5 hours BTW.
What box???

Red Devil

Here's an update. 

Delete your old RD-Tweaks folder before installing this one as I added some folders for organization.

Please use a server message saying you are using these test assets.

What's new:

Since pings and lag are so important in testing now, I added a cfg I made that gives more room to the values so they aren't all scrunched together and are more visible, especially against a light background.

http://www.spike.http.co.il/uploads/up/A001252.zip
What box???

Red Devil

Just finished up a couple hours worth of play.  Now that people have had a chance to check out Thumper, I'll remove it from the next download as people were just going nuts with it.  :lol:  It's still too powerful (sent Walkers across the map).  Next version will be weaker and lots more expensive.

I'll add a Mass setting to Walkers so they are so susceptible to kicking.

Mortar Bikes and Sabres were warping a lot.  Pings were ~250.

People like the expanded scores window, but I have to expand the player name area.

Next download will have the bump removed or lessened and the Scouts given a little more horsepower to see how that goes.
What box???

squirrelof09

Awww...
QuoteSince pings and lag are so important in testing now, I added a cfg I made that gives more room to the values so they aren't all scrunched together and are more visible, especially against a light background.

I would like to test the warp part for it. like what it does with high pingers.  :-)
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Spawn

Everybody please remember to either ip ban squirrel or set the default maxping to under 1000 if testing warp/lag.  He makes any accurate measure impossible.

squirrelof09

Posting this the second I saw it.

[ E X C E P T I O N ]
Patch 1.3PublicBeta2 Feb 28 2006 09:00:21
Type: ACCESS VIOLATION
Info: READING from 0F672004h
CallStack:
0040BBCD +0099 bzone.exe EXE AttackTask.obj protected: void __thiscall AttackTaskP::WaitState(enum AttackTaskP::StateMode)
0040B941 +0537 bzone.exe EXE AttackTask.obj public: virtual void __thiscall AttackTaskP::DoState(void)
00320000 +320000 [Unknown] [Unknown] [Unknown] [Unknown]
6E756854 +6E756854 [Unknown] [Unknown] [Unknown] [Unknown]
0045E582 +0000 bzone.exe EXE AirCraft.obj public: virtual void __thiscall MeshEnt::UpdateIntSpherePosition(void)
61D99806 +61D99806 [Unknown] [Unknown] [Unknown] [Unknown]
Registers:
EAX: 0CABD5FCh   CS: 0000001Bh  DS: 00000023h
EBX: 0E8E9E38h  EIP: 0040BBCDh  ES: 00000023h
ECX: 0EAA2A10h   SS: 00000023h  FS: 0000003Bh
EDX: 0F671EA4h  EBP: 021CF274h  GS: 00000000h
ESI: 00000000h  ESP: 021CF254h           
EDI: 0E8E9E38h

I was heading towards a missle in a building. Thats when I aved.

You were heading towards a missile in a building...

You were in a building, headed towards a missile...

You were headed towards a missile that was in a building...

Nope.  Not getting this...   ???

-Av-

APCs r evil

Oh thank goodness, I thought it was a side-effect of vapors I created earlier, maaaan that was a beautiful light show.

squirrelof09

FINE....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lol...

OH!

Sorry...  I'm old and tired...

-Av-

APCs r evil

Oh hoot, the vapors made me old and tired!