• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

fix to visual lag

Started by Spawn, March 06, 2006, 07:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn

Fixed via gameprefs.ini modifications.  Still needs more testing, report any changes for better/worse.
Extract to bzroot

The above is a 7zip file, if you dont have an extractor for .7z files you can get the official version here
And yes, 7zip is free

CmptrWz

You should probably make a "Stock" gameprefs.ini and modify THAT with the appropriate settings. Yours was modified with other things moved around as well.

Spawn

Yes, I know.  Don't have a stock gameprefs.ini and don't know exactly what was changed to make it work.  If you find out either of these things tell me and ill start to try it out.  Feel free to contact me on msn with it.

Sonic

Why not just tell us what you changed.  I rather edit the file myself than use someone else's gamepref.ini.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

Commando

I believe the following summarizes the smoothening variable changes.  The commented out set of numbers are the default values for the given setting.

// Range for a percentage of a craft's normal forward velocity it may
// be smoothed by when multiworld is on. This value should be between
// 0.0 and 5.0, where 1.0 means that the craft is allowed to travel up
// to 100% of its forward velocity per frame.
//
// Setting the min down to 0 is not recommended, as craft rotating in
// place w/o any position changes won't have their changes shown until
// it moves.
//
// Setting the max number higher will be slightly more jumpy, while
// lower numbers will tend to induce warp if remote players maneuver
// really quickly.

MinMWSmooth_DTPercentage = 5.0 // 0.5
MaxMWSmooth_DTPercentage = 5.0 // 1.5

// Some other clamps on the smoothing code ranges. These are in absolute
// dt values, not percentages of current frame. Values less than 0.00001
// mean that this value is ignored. These can be adjusted with the
// game.minsmoothdt and game.maxsmoothdt console commands
MinMWSmooth_dt = 0.0 // 0.01
MaxMWSmooth_dt = 0.0 // 0.5

// Feedback factors for MW smoothing. Each of these may be between 0.0
// and 1.0, with 0.0 meaning "use 100% of the traditionally-calculated
// value for this, 1.0 meaning "use 100% of the new calculation for
// this", and 0.5 meaning "average the two exactly." In limited
// testing, values closer to 0 than 1 tend to work better.
//
// PositionFactor is used to blend between the just-calculated
// position and the last frame's position. A value of 0 will use only
// the highly-smoothed position, a value of 1 will use the 'best
// guess' position of where they are, and a value of 0.5 will use 50%
// of both values. Values between 0.75 and 0.999 will probably be
// intolerable. This value is applied on a per-frame basis, so as
// your framerate goes up, PositionFactor will seem to get stronger.
//
// VelocityFactor is used to blend between the true (physics)
// velocity (value of 0) and the velocity needed to get it going
// towards its true position (value of 1).

MWSmooth_PositionFactor = 0.999 // 0.15
MWSmooth_VelocityFactor = 0.00

Spawn

What commando posted is probablly right, I don't know what I changed, if someone could give me a good gameprefs.ini I could use that+winmerge and make a normal file.  Besides that I tweaked so many things, most randomely, that i dont know what is stock and what isn't.

Oh, and maxsmoothdt and minsmoothdt can be left at stock values, zero jsut makes them at default.

Red Devil

The most recent Gameprefs I found outside a full install is in 65z.
What box???

Scout

Well done Spawn, it was nearly speck with 1.2 at the very most things were a quarter of a ships length behind the hitbox, and even with the huge increase in studdering ships i always knew where they were and always hit them. with mwf 1 this should be the ultimate win! :D you sir win a free interwebz!

now if only we could get some kind of "smoothness" while we have the visual model and the hitbox in the same spot, might have a sezure eventually with those twitching units on the screen  :P

CmptrWz

The two DT values do NOT go to "defaults" when set to 0. The shell shows them at 0 and thus they are not applied every frame. Thus, there is no minimum or maximum smoothing information per frame, from my understanding. That is why I recommended setting them to 0 to begin with, or tweaking them to something non-stock if setting them to 0 didn't help.

My gameprefs has had them at 0 for a few days now.

Red Devil

That was a good find by you, Wz.

If/when GSH fixes what caused this, we may have to reset these values.

I'd like to know what the "dt" stands for.  Distance timing?  Derivative?
What box???

Raven

Spawn

dt would be calculus notation, more or less derritive of time.
Quote from: CmptrWz on March 07, 2006, 06:10:39 AM
The two DT values do NOT go to "defaults" when set to 0. The shell shows them at 0 and thus they are not applied every frame. Thus, there is no minimum or maximum smoothing information per frame, from my understanding. That is why I recommended setting them to 0 to begin with, or tweaking them to something non-stock if setting them to 0 didn't help.

My gameprefs has had them at 0 for a few days now.
Ill say it again, the effects of it being at zero and being at the default values are the same for me.

GSH

Well, then, maybe there's more than one factor at work here. People insisting that this issue should be "so easy" to see/fix/whatever might need to open their eyes, if what works for one person isn't working for another. Play with the tuning values. Really. Report all relevant info, such as what's shown in the scores display for pings, lossage, etc.

-- GSH

Red Devil

I've had a Titan DM up for 4 1/2 hours while I've been cutting firewood. Nice to see some joiners joined.

If anybody's available, we can go test and document settings to try to narrow it down.

Yesterday, I commented out all the smoothing settings, but it didn't help.
What box???

BZ FeebleEffort

I don't think  there ever was  a "easy fix" for this problem, but it may take a much larger testing group to work through the values that are "tune-able" to find the "right spot"...it may be fiixable this way. I see it as a positive sign that a few are actually trying tweaks that appear to be getting improvement on the problem.

It's a good place to start.