• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

fix to visual lag

Started by Spawn, March 06, 2006, 07:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commando

QuoteWell, then, maybe there's more than one factor at work here. People insisting that this issue should be "so easy" to see/fix/whatever might need to open their eyes, if what works for one person isn't working for another. Play with the tuning values. Really. Report all relevant info, such as what's shown in the scores display for pings, lossage, etc.
[/qutoe]

I doubt this model lag is affected by ping or loss that much.  I can host an Instant Action game with multiworld enabled and models will be lagged behind the hitboxes.  This is without any other players nor can any other players join due to the fact it is in single player mode.  I'm pretty sure playing through the campaign mode with /multiword enabled will induce the same behavior.  It started in release candidate 1 for some odd reason.  I can run the same exact test on the last private build and release candidate 1 and they both behave differently.  In the last private build, before release candidate 1, a scav and its hitbox are relatively close together.  You can ram the scav from behind and you will be stopped before you start clipping into the model.  In release candidate 1 and newer, you can ram the same scav from behing, but you will completely end up inside the scav's model before you actually collide into it.  Increasing game.maxsmooth seems to help with this.  When this is increased, the model and the hitbox are more in sync.  I set game.maxsmooth 5 and it seems to work relatively well.  The ai will warp from time to time, but the hitbox and model seem in sync for the most part.  I'm curious as to how human controlled units will behave with this setting because players are much less predictable than the ai. 

Spawn

Actually, once gameprefs was tweaked, I noticed no warp at all.  Much better than 1.2, but some smoothing settings would need to be changed from default, having people require changing settings manually/downloading another file can only just cause problems.

Raven

Well, dont know about who else tried it, but i hav no vis lag or lag either, and on my pc it is better, just like spawn said.

BZ FeebleEffort

Question?

Will these player-assited fixes be rolled into another Bigger or better PB3?....or will they need to be integrated via a overall players patch?

As has been said around the community, getting the best physics  "outta the box" is the best way for larger acceptance.

Yes, a "Vet" rec would be a alternative, but it would still crete a factioned 1.3 group, as opposed to a stock set of physics that pleased most.

Eyes arwe getting blury...time to stop drinkin' this early in the day....

Spawn

It depends on how sucessful they are.  If red completes everything in two weeks and people like it, then it may be included.  There is a certain fear of adding "new" things to 1.3, some people concider it a mod and things like that don't help much.

Red Devil

The patch13.pak file will be updated with the physics and balance adjustments, then we'll have a good base from which to develop variants.

There won't be a PB3 as far as I know.  GSH wants to get on with his life, so another few releases and that should be it, so we should all hunker down and test everything now.

Two weeks?  Who said we only had two weeks?
What box???

GSH

If it's only the vets whining about physics, then it's a natural for them to download something. With recy variants and the ability to specify what MPVehicles.txt is used, it's easy to make any set of ODFs a variant. No bad assets needed.

-- GSH

Red Devil

It's everybody complaining about the physics, even me.  :|   The vets have some really good insights into the physics and balance as they are the ones who play it the most and the hardest, so I'm trying to enlist their help in getting a good base laid down and they've been very helpful.  Well, except for Spawn.  He's a troublemaker, ya know.  :-P
What box???

Zero Angel

Quote from: GSH on March 09, 2006, 06:08:40 PM
If it's only the vets whining about physics, then it's a natural for them to download something. With recy variants and the ability to specify what MPVehicles.txt is used, it's easy to make any set of ODFs a variant. No bad assets needed.

-- GSH
Do not forget that Vets are what make up the bulk of the BZ2 players in regards to solid hours put in to online play. It only takes a small sample of lamers to ruin it for everyone else.

However, I only disagree with your principles. Your actions though are a much more agreeable by contrast.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

*GEL*Avenger

QuoteIf it's only the vets whining about physics

dude, IF...IF...IF???  There is 3 times as many ppl playing 1.2 than 1.3 every day (I know becuase i can count them using mm5).  Why is this, because VETS make up MOST of the bz world...And MOST (not all) but MOST vets enjoy hoving and being challenged battling other vets hoving...Hovering isnt the problem, since most people playing bz2 want hovering...

what is the problem...simple...the problem is that a minoriety of newbies and intermediant players have enough troubles fighting vets without them hovering and destorying their bases...(excluding the few vets who don't enjoy the challenge of hovering in air)...How would i recomend fixing the problem to please EVERYONE...

Reform the serve controls to include the ability to use either a hoverable 1.3 or a nonhoverable 1.3...Being not an expert in the area of game programing, I can't specify the file type that controlls physics...but i can recomend you making 2 seprate ones, which would be controlled by a simple click by a server of a game (it is possible)...

1.3 needs to please MOST of the bz2 players, or it will be a failer...however, you can keep making more public beta versions till you figure our how solve the matter of hovering or no hovering...how long must it take, PB12? PB53?

FYI: to ppl that might not understand my point, play 1.1 and/or 1.2 7 years...You learn so much how to

Spawn

Avenger quit being an idiot.  This whole issue was discussed long ago and many times since.  If you want any more info then pm me, or bug scout.  There is no reason to bring up the exact same bullhoot again.

BZ FeebleEffort

"If it's only the vets whining about physics, then it's a natural for them to download something."

IF that were true, you would be correct...but it isn't JUST the vets...its most anyone who plays a MP game. ( I saw this in a MPI game alone).

so, it APPEARS this is something nearly universal, so the change(if made) should be for the stock configurations. IF the "fixed" values do in fact resolve the problem..then the "fixed values" logically should be the stock values.

IF the "new" stock values create a unpleasant effect for a small % of players then  THAT small group shopuld be the ones left to tweak via the gameprefs...

But hey.... :mrgreen: <<<<I actually had hair like this in the '70's.

And yes, Avenger is being a fool...as I said elsewhere...12 year-olds...

GSH

I'm sick and tired of a bunch of whiny types thinking they speak for everyone.

-- GSH

mrtwosheds

As a hovering"vet" of some years now id just like to say, how much more challenging bz is without hovering..... Great dog fights that dont end in the looser just flying away. well done all involved.

Refreshing!  Thanks!

Some years ago someone posted about WEAKER weapons being a lot more fun, as they extended dogfights and made them a true thing of skill rather than who jumped who first...  I think it takes some years to recognize the truth in that...  :)

-Av-