• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 pb2 MPI map editting?

Started by deadscion, March 07, 2006, 05:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadscion

I have a good question;

What is a reliable acceptable proceedure for editting/testing MPI maps in the current map editor?

Spawn

What specifically do you need to know?
Pathpoints can be found on default maps, or by looking in the dll source.
Map editor works like 1.2 one just need to save the map then distribute it somehow.  Testing would go the same way as strat maps but going through every aip and making sure the AI doesn't run into any problems with building a base and units traveling around.

General BlackDragon

make a shotcut to bz2edit.exe and add the /edit mapname to it?

*****General BlackDragon*****

deadscion

When I load an MPI map in 1.3 pb2 editor it shows up with no objects.

I have been told one has to ---pretend--- the MPI map is Instant Action before it can be editting and tested in 1.3 PB2.

Now I am asking what is a proper proceedure for doing this.

squirrelof09

Because of the DLL, right?

The objects wont pop up in the editor becuase the DLL isn't active, right?
OM, am I correct?
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

GSH

Edit and save in bz2edit.exe, load and test in bzone.exe. Seriously, what's so hard about this?

-- GSH

deadscion

Quote from: GSH on March 07, 2006, 08:20:46 PM
Edit and save in bz2edit.exe, load and test in bzone.exe. Seriously, what's so hard about this?

-- GSH

does not work. You can not take it back to the editor after the first edit without losing all objects

bz2edit.exe  prevents loading any MPI maps with objects.

Besides This was a primary issue before.

Why should I start up one version of BZ2 just to edit a map, save it shut it down and startup another version of BZ2 just to test the map.

Multiplayer is disabled in BZ2edit.exe so why not set it up so one can edit and test all in the same program?

Man O man, you guys took several years to mess with this thing and the best of improvements completely ignored anything the public felt was important.

Fancy mod addons ---the test group--- felt was important and menaing to others if the game is not fun to play.

A map editor whose only improvements are shell enhancements borrowed from the fans.

Vehicle physics adjustments you refused to properly explain.

Improper documentation ,and to quote somebody,  I was asking for too much on a silver platter.

COME ON NOW.

You make us wait a long time for this and the best you come up with is little or no different then PB1????

You listen to me real good this time. I am willing to endorse this patch and even help bring others into the 1.3 realm, but calling this stuff I am asking for none of my business is just getting you guys in more trouble with the public.

The end result will be obvious.

Do you want a prime example of what I am saying??

Go read some of the topics at BZ2maps.com. If you don't turn this around with completely open reference material more of this deep set resentment will grow.

Then you will be right back where you started, the only fans playing 1.3 will be the testers and modders.

GSH

Quotebz2edit.exe  prevents loading any MPI maps with objects.

I loaded mpibridges.bzn in bz2edit.exe last night, and all the preplaced objects (pools, scrap, bridges) were there.

-- GSH

OvermindDL1

I recall it working, how are you doing it DS?

CmptrWz

From his explanation, he is including /nobodyhome on the edit line and not paying attention to the fact he is.

GSH

That or he doesn't realize that things like the recyclers, preplaced buildings are placed by the DLL. Every mpi map needs to have those items REMOVED when saving. Been that way since MPI was introduced in 1.2. The community's written a lot of documentation over the years, and until Mr "I Want A Do What I Mean Button" showed up looking for nits to pick, everybody was happy with the extra docs 1.3 had vs 1.2 did.

-- GSH

I spend hours each night bopping into and out of maps testing, adjusting, and testing some more.  Takes less than a  minute to bop in and see if something's set up right.

I use up to three shortcuts, one pointing to the map in the editor,  one pointing to the engine, and one pointing to the editor without DLL support.  I also compile my DLL's to the SP format and copy the file when needed in the editor, which is rarely.

Working in MPI is a bit different but the basics are the same.  You spend a lot more time in the Shift-F9 path editor but the only real trick is to run the map on one shortcut, edit on the other.  While I can understand someone wanting to just grab the object and move it instead of the path point that spawned it, it's not going to happen.

-Av-

Spawn

You could just drop the map into addon/missions/instant and run it from the editor there.

Angstromicus

I think what he's saying (I've had this problem with trying to run G66 in the editor in PB2) is that scripted objects do not run in MPI (they do in instant and single). Maybe there will be pools, rocks, and trees, and a few pre-placed gun towers. But, no objects that aren't pre-placed and spawned via dll.

I belive a fix to this would to have shell menus for the missions that require them. Otherwise, missions will always load at their default settings (if they don't have one, well, nothing loads like in G66).

One more thing: I dislike being forced to load instant action maps by their default difficulty levels in b2edit.exe instead of having some way to customize difficulty.

Spawn

You can modify ivars and svars via the commandlike.  Look in the changelog.