• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 pb2 MPI map editting?

Started by deadscion, March 07, 2006, 05:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Total Oblivion Omnis on March 08, 2006, 03:13:46 PM
I think what he's saying (I've had this problem with trying to run G66 in the editor in PB2) is that scripted objects do not run in MPI (they do in instant and single). Maybe there will be pools, rocks, and trees, and a few pre-placed gun towers. But, no objects that aren't pre-placed and spawned via dll.
Scripted objects?  If you are referring to the dll missions (not scripted, especially not in mpi), those things are created by dll and you do *NOT* want them placed when you save the map, ergo they should not be in the thing, else you would have to delete them every time you wanted to save.

deadscion

If the map editor is going to be seperate from the game, then multiplayer maps of any kind should be testable in it.

Many other games before and after BZ2 do this in some fashion or another, I see no reason it can not be done in BZ2.

You can leave everything in bzone.exe except for the networking, then call that Bz2edit.exe

The menu comes up and you can't join a game online, but you can open a map the same as if you were online.

How hard could it be to do that? Why has it taken until now to get it accross to you?

GSH

The networking *is* what creates players in MPI. Remove it, remove all players.

Stop insisting everything be 1.2 all over again.  Why has it taken until now to get it accross to you?

-- GSH

deadscion

You know exactly what I am talking about.

Currently in 1.3 PB2 you can switch to the lan only server option and bring up a multiplayer map to test whether you have

a LAN setup or not.

Also if I disconnect my broadband cable connection from the computer, I can still bring up a mulitplayer map to test.

I just don't have other games available to join.

If BZ2edit.exe is as complete as bzone.exe with the exception of being able to go online for any reason then a complete multiplayer menu will be available for testing maps.

This way I could go from the editor to the shell to the multiplayer menu test the map esc to the shell again instant load the editor do more tweaking without ever leaving the BZ2 software environment.

If this is like BZ2 1.2  so what. Why should I waste time completely shutting down BZ2edit.exe and start up Bzone.exe just to test a multiplayer map just because YOU think it is the way things should be done?

This will always be a seriously inconvenient way to edit maps.

Get a load of UT2004. I can;
create models
edit terrain
edit sky
edit pathing
edit scripts
test the map and all of it's new stuff

With out ever leaving the editor environment.

All I am asking of BZ2 1.3 is to be able to edit and test a multiplayer map with out leaving the Shell environment.

You can prevent someone who uses the editor from going online all you want.

GSH

Pretty demanding words for someone who's trying to write blank checks on other's time. Go re-read Avatar's posts for how he switches between editing and testing really quickly.

Still don't like it? Deal with it. Or, save us from your presence.

-- GSH

Lizard

I've used the 1.3 editor pretty extensively for making campaign, IA, MPI ,strat and DM maps and I've never had a single problem, ever, not with map creation or with testing .

Honestly, only the extremely feeble minded could fail to master the complexities of 2 different shortcuts - one to edit, one to test, it's hardly bloody rocket science is it ?

CmptrWz

Last I checked, to properly edit and test maps you needed two shortcuts ANYWAY, now they just have to point at two different exe files. How difficult is that?

And BZ2 is NOT UT2004. Stop demanding that BZ2 BECOME UT2004.

deadscion

Have you tried running two shortcuts?

Try this in windows XP, start BZ2 shortcut then window the shell and minimize.

Now click on the editor shortcut.

Guess what?, the BZ2 screen comes back and you don't get the editor.

Wanna tell me a work around for that? nah I didn't think so,,,,,

Lizard you stupid *Ammo*, go shove it up your ass, damn fool, you never have anything real to say.

I give up on you guys. I don't care anymore.

The biggest reason this patch is failing publicly is because of this kind of resistence to other ideas.

I will never recommend this patch in any way shape or form until you learn to be more open minded without your *Ammo*ed  up smartaassed remarks and discredittiing attitude way of avoiding an honest answer.

Avatar and Overmind  are the exception here learn form them for a change.

GSH

Where in Avatar's "multiple shortcuts" post above did he say anything about hitting "minimize"?

You've painted yourself into a corner, and gotten frustrated that your ignorance has been exposed. The honorable thing to do would be to just drop the issue. But, you've decided to go away mad. Your choice, but a poor one.

-- GSH

squirrelof09

Quote from: deadscion on March 08, 2006, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: deadscion on March 08, 2006, 07:06:22 PM
I give up on you guys. I don't care anymore.

Yay! Leave! Tired of your flaming.

and Lizard is cool.

Edit: fixed quote

*stabs deadscion*
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

seanthegreat

Quote from: deadscion on March 08, 2006, 05:02:49 AM
Quote from: GSH on March 07, 2006, 08:20:46 PM
Edit and save in bz2edit.exe, load and test in bzone.exe. Seriously, what's so hard about this?

-- GSH

does not work. You can not take it back to the editor after the first edit without losing all objects

bz2edit.exe  prevents loading any MPI maps with objects.

Besides This was a primary issue before.

Why should I start up one version of BZ2 just to edit a map, save it shut it down and startup another version of BZ2 just to test the map.

Multiplayer is disabled in BZ2edit.exe so why not set it up so one can edit and test all in the same program?

Man O man, you guys took several years to mess with this thing and the best of improvements completely ignored anything the public felt was important.

Fancy mod addons ---the test group--- felt was important and menaing to others if the game is not fun to play.

A map editor whose only improvements are shell enhancements borrowed from the fans.

Vehicle physics adjustments you refused to properly explain.

Improper documentation ,and to quote somebody,  I was asking for too much on a silver platter.

COME ON NOW.

You make us wait a long time for this and the best you come up with is little or no different then PB1????

You listen to me real good this time. I am willing to endorse this patch and even help bring others into the 1.3 realm, but calling this stuff I am asking for none of my business is just getting you guys in more trouble with the public.

The end result will be obvious.

Do you want a prime example of what I am saying??

Go read some of the topics at BZ2maps.com. If you don't turn this around with completely open reference material more of this deep set resentment will grow.

Then you will be right back where you started, the only fans playing 1.3 will be the testers and modders.

oh get a life  :roll:

squirrelof09

Oh sean why? why? did you have to quote ALL of that and only post 15 characters?
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

seanthegreat

Angstromicus

I have a question.

Is the editor intended solely for editing maps and testing them for usage. Can the editor be used to run a map like bzII would?

I feel that perhaps I should make a suggestion.

I suggest shell menu options for bz2edit.exe, so that maps can be played more like they can be in bzone.exe (or at least the option for using shell, so it wouldn't interfere with modding). Of course, right now I could do that with using ivar/svar command lines, but, that's tedious work. Perhaps what I'm suggesting would be the ability to set those without manually typing them in, like you would do in bzone.exe.

GSH

TOO - have you played w/ PB2's bz2edit.exe? Most would say it's a big improvement over pb1.

-- GSH