• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 pb2 MPI map editting?

Started by deadscion, March 07, 2006, 05:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanthegreat

OK SO EVRY ONE SHUTS THE FU*K UP FREAKEN READ THIS PIC NOOB

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

seanthegreat

Quote from: General BlackDragon on March 08, 2006, 09:02:51 PM
wooow there horsey....

well he is being a big loser for insulting the whole community for no freakin reason

General BlackDragon

and when you decend to his level, you become no better then him...

*****General BlackDragon*****

Spawn

Sean is almost as annoying as squirrel.

seanthegreat

Quote from: General BlackDragon on March 08, 2006, 09:26:59 PM
and when you decend to his level, you become no better then him...
well no im only talking about him not the whole forum

Lizard

Quote from: deadscion on March 08, 2006, 07:06:22 PM
Have you tried running two shortcuts?

Try this in windows XP, start BZ2 shortcut then window the shell and minimize.

Now click on the editor shortcut.

Guess what?, the BZ2 screen comes back and you don't get the editor.

Wanna tell me a work around for that? nah I didn't think so,,,,,

Lizard you stupid *Ammo*, go shove it up your ass, damn fool, you never have anything real to say.

I give up on you guys. I don't care anymore.

The biggest reason this patch is failing publicly is because of this kind of resistence to other ideas.

I will never recommend this patch in any way shape or form until you learn to be more open minded without your *Ammo*ed  up smartaassed remarks and discredittiing attitude way of avoiding an honest answer.

Avatar and Overmind  are the exception here learn form them for a change.

someone pick up DS's toys he seems to have thrown them all out of his pram ....... AGAIN !!!

you wanna lighten up a little DS all this stress is bad for you, just keep repeating to yourself , it's only a game, it's only a game .

you know if you didn't carry on like a rabid loon people might actually take notice of you for a change ;) .

I don't want to see this devolve into an "I hate _____" match...

DS has a legitimate concern and point of view despite coming across as angry and demanding.  Unfortunately what other games do, no matter how good an example of what he wants, is irrelevant.  I'm sure they were built from the ground up with that editing capability in mind, something that isn't going to happen in BZ2.

So, point given, answer given, time to move on.

I HATE locking threads, but don't see this going anywhere but down...

-Av-

OK, well, after several PM's about this it seems it still isn't clear...

For most map types this is all you need to do.  I don't use MM5 so I can't help there, but it seems straightforward enough...

1.  Create your terrain any way you like, from modifying an existing terrain to starting a map in the editor with just a TRN file and /nobodyhome on the end of the command line:
"C:\Program Files\BZ\Battlezone II\bz2edit.exe" mymap.trn /nobodyhome

2. Edit your map in the editor, placing objects and using the Shift-F9 screen to set paths and path points.  Don't forget to set the DLL to the appropriate DLL in the PATH section.  Save your map.

At this point to re-enter and edit the map you need to change the shortcut to point to the BZN, and remove the /nobodyhome entry.
"C:\Program Files\BZ\Battlezone II\bz2edit.exe" mymap.bzn

3. To test, start your map in the engine.
"C:\Program Files\BZ\Battlezone II\bzone.exe" mymap.bzn
Check to see if everything's there, or whatever else you need to do.  I'm generally in there watching 'beaconed' enemies as they run their routes, to see if they get stuck.

Now, DS seems mostly about MPI maps, and my own experience making MPI maps lately is minimal.  I just tried setting up a shortcut for an MPI test map and only my Recy showed up.  It also complained that it couldn't find the AIP file. There are SO many options now for an MPI that apparently you have to start the map through the shell.

Loading my map directly from a shortcut took 13 seconds.

Using my Battlezone shortcut:
"C:\Program Files\BZ\Battlezone II\bzone.exe" -nointro -lanonly
It took 27 seconds to get into my MPI map through the shell. All appropriate objects spawned and did their thing.

Personally I don't think 14 seconds is enough of an extra delay to warrant concern, but that's me.  To DS it may seem like a lifetime.

I think if anything more needs to be said on this it'd be more proper to continue it in Maps and Mods.  Personally I'd like to hear Natty's methods of making/testing MPI maps, as to me he's the MPI King.

As I said, I hate locking threads, so for now I'm leaving this one open.  If it ends up in the gutter (where it was headed) then I guess my initial impression was right and it'll have to be locked again...

-Av-

GSH

It's even faster if you put "/host 0" on the testing shortcut commandline. Drops you straight on the hosting screen. Been that way since 1.0 (does anyone ever read the docs I write? 6 years later, this should be common knowledge.)

-- GSH

Red Devil

I do, but I sure wish I had let that one sink in.  OMG, I could have saved soooo many clicks and so much time if I had used it! [kicks self]   

Sigh, boy, the price of ignorance sure is high...
What box???

seanthegreat

Quote from: Red Devil on March 09, 2006, 03:19:53 PM
I do, but I sure wish I had let that one sink in.  OMG, I could have saved soooo many clicks and so much time if I had used it! [kicks self]   

Sigh, boy, the price of ignorance sure is high...
lol :-P