• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Stop undeploying! You can't shoot like that!

Started by APCs r evil, March 09, 2006, 04:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APCs r evil

When you tell either a Turret or Guardian to attack something, they undeploy. Even if they are in range and have a clear shot. It is; most irritating. :-(

I believe I mentioned this somewhere else but I don't think anyone noticed it.

Turrets have an engageRange of 150m.  If they're beyond that, regardless of weapon, they move to 150m away.

Turrets are VERY touchy subjects and I think that's why they don't have RD's attacktask entries to make them attack from range based on weapon.

-Av-

APCs r evil

No, they just undeploy then deploy again in the same place. They only move if they are out of weapon range.

Spawn

It makes the greatest use of the attack, being able to focus all the turrets onto one ship, more of less worthless.

Scout

yea turrets are touchy, not for the reason Avatar specified, but for the reason APC's specified.

before they shoot a bullet at the ship you tell them to attack eitherthe target unit be 2 meters or 120 meters away they allways undeploy and then deploy again without moving then they will open fire.

It is rather hard to get a group of turrets in a picket line to converge on the same target when using that command only makes the one not in range move into range and the ones in range already undeploy anyways.. telling them to hold only makes them re-target/cycle targets or something.. what behavior they use for that i don't know.

IMHO its very limited when communicating what you want that turret to do with only a single command. One person might use that command wanting the turrets to all move into exact range and deploy and open fire, another person would want all the turrets attention on the unit they were told to attack, that may be something that might not even be in range of any of them.

Its certainly Frustrating and I'm sure if it were possible people would come up with many commands for turrets and other vehicles, probably the most common being the same commands you could toggle on units in TotalAnnihilation.

which were 3 behaviors each for the attack and movement Functions of a unit... every time you clicked the movement button it would toggle the units instruction between, Hold Position, Evade, and Roam. The attack button toggled through Hold Fire, Return Fire, Fire At Will.

A fix for the turrets sinking there claws back in for no good reason would be a nice little fix, but for anything like total annihilation + battlezone, that'd have to be for bz3 i think :P

Perhaps the list of commands you can issue to a unit when you select it will be context sensitive to what it is doing, that'd be slick.

Red Devil

I had come up witha fix of sorts for them doing that last year.
What box???

*GEL*Avenger

wow, impressive...A very well developed problem with very well developed and thought out posts...

Turrents really are tricky ships, yet so useful even with their glitches...When you tell turrents to hold it seems to me that they target the closest "most agressive" target...such as a scout 70 m away vs a scav 30 m away (turrent will attack the scout)...

I can live with turrents targeting troubles mostly because i am use to them...

OvermindDL1

No such word as turrent, mayhaps you meant turret?

What is with people always misspelling that one word, so very odd...

squirrelof09

bah! I always do that

I always thought turrent was the correct way of spelling that until one day in a game APC said that "turrent" is not a word. for 11 (probably more) months of playing bz2 I have been spelling turret like turrent.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

APCs r evil

Really? I said that in-game? I must be losing control of my grammar nazi; he must have blacked me out, as I don't remember a thing.

OvermindDL1

Spawn

squirrelof09

fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?