• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

TrackedVehicleClass Physics Problems

Started by General_Hoohah, June 24, 2006, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

Don't wait for others to do work. Especially don't insist that I do any work if you're unwilling to do anything. Prove you're willing to help out the game. This is where a lot of arrogant jerks (not going to call them by their preferred names) fall further down on my mental evaluations of them.

-- GSH

General_Hoohah

And remember, any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

Angstromicus

My interest in BZII is returning. I wouldn't mind doing a little beta testing myself.

General_Hoohah

I'd really love to help resolve the scavenger issues, in any way I can. After all, they're the backbone of every game. The efficiancy at which they do their job directly impacts the entire game in just about every way. Bug free, efficiantly working scavs would be a blessing. I'm guessing that working mostly with scavs probably doesn't appeal to most beta testers.

Angstromicus

Well, if there's nothing to be done about treaded physics, there's always the new scavengerH (that's what it's called, right?) class. At least for mods.

Spawn

Did you try ALL the physics constants yet?

General_Hoohah

I don't have them yet. What ever Ken has added, if he has added anything new, thats only in the current unreleased beta. I haven't been added to the beta team yet, though every day I hope!

Commando

I think he is referring to the following.  Mainly the top two.

[TrackedVehicleClass]
COLLISION_RAISE =  0.5
SUSPENSION_MIN = -0.2
SUSPENSION_MAX = 0.3
SPRING_FACTOR = 2.0 // minimum value: 0.01
DAMPING_FACTOR = 2.0   // 2.0 = critical damped, minimum value: 0.01
TREAD_STATIC_FRICTION = 1.5

Most of the above compiles, but isn't tested. Messing with physics
constants may cause really weird behavior. [NM]

[TrackedVehicleClass]
NormalTrackFactor = 0.0 // may need to be > 0 for some of the other params to take effect
pitchThrust = 0.0
rollSteer = 0.0
alphaTrack = 0.0

With code borrowed from Hovercraft.cpp. Note that these constants
may be need to be scaled by *3.0 or /3.0 compared to what you're used
to in hovercraft. This compiled and got about 20 seconds of testing to
ensure that the default values of 0.0 didn't break anything too
horribly in the default physics. [NM]

[TrackedVehicleClass]
alphaDampX = 0.0
alphaDampZ = 0.0

These TrackedVehicleClass params don't need 'NormalTrackFactor'
(see above) to be >0 to take effect. This is some more stay-level code
borrowed from hovercraft.cpp. Note that these constants may be need to
be scaled by *3.0 or *0.33333 compared to what you're used to in
hovercraft.  [NM]

[TrackedVehicleClass]
AIomegaSpin = <non-AI form>
AIomegaTurn = <non-AI form>
AIalphaSteer = <non-AI form>
AIvelocForward = <non-AI form>
AIvelocReverse = <non-AI form>
AIaccelThrust = <non-AI form>

General_Hoohah

I've been trying playing around with them. First using the stock values, then experimenting with high, low, and negative numbers to understand what effect they each create. I have most of them figured out, but many of them produce secondary effects like bouncing, decreased traction, decreased weight, or they act unstable. I’m sure what ever has been done since the last beta release, has improved them.

Using positive values for “COLLISION_RAISE” seems to lowers the stiffness of shock absorbers which reduces the dampening effect against the springs, causing softer and softer suspension and even bouncing as you increase the value. Using negative values seems to increase the stiffness so they do not respond at all. Positive values seem to also decrease the traction and lighten the vehicle as you increase them, exaggerating the bouncing effect.

“TREAD_STATIC_FRICTION” increases traction beautifully, but unfortunately the improvement is spoiled by the vehicles weightlessness and unadjustable center of gravity. It tips over, pops wheelies, and tumbles around like the center of gravity is way too high.

The suspension values are pretty easy to figure out, it’s just the maximum distance at which the suspension can raise or lower.

The spring value acts extremely sensitive, and can cause the vehicle to go bouncing out of control, so I’ve kept it at the lowest setting.

So far the aphaDamp effect seems to be a bit unstable. Even at value 3, I sometimes see the tracks vibrating around.

While the traction issue has been greatly reduced, the weightlessness and center of gravity of the vehicle remain the largest problem.

The reason I don't post anything, is because I havn't found any value settings I'm happy with. Though, Im anxious to experiment with what ever has been changed.

GSH

No parameters have been added since pb2. There's no need to get access to builds.

-- GSH

General_Hoohah

Get access to what? What is he talking about?

Spawn

No new tracked physics constants have been added since pb2, so you don't need access to the private version.

General_Hoohah

I never asked for access to the private version in this thread.... What are you talking about? Are you talking about the suggestion by Greenheart? If you're basing this thread as the sole reasoning behind that request, you are very sorely mistaken.

You guys must think very little of me to think I would actually ask that...  :-(

That really hurts... especially since it came from GSH. Did I do something to offend him? :-(

Commando

I think he only said that to let you know there haven't been any changes to the tracked physics in the latest beta.

Angstromicus

Aren't there a lot of beta testers anyway? I think that's what I heard some time ago.