• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Blender BZ2 exporter testers needed

Started by OvermindDL1, January 31, 2007, 01:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

I'm not a tester or anything but I have a problem to report that may or may not be related to your exporter. Either way this is probably the best place to post it. I have been learning how to get my models working in game and I've run into a problem. I have a vehicle and all the hardpoints work and it flies upright and straight and all that, but the eyepoint, no matter how much I rotate it, it always looks up, like I leaned my head way back. I've tried many different strategies but it never works. So...that's my problem and i would be grateful for any help.
C l a v i n 1 2

TheJamsh

OM, any chance of a BZ2 Blender IMPORTER? The problem we seem to have around here is that we can't get models BACK into modelling programs without using a copy of 3DE, which is a pain.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Dianoga4

Clavin if you can post your blend file I can take a look and see if I can help.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Unfortunately, asking OM to make an importer is more work then he has time for. I'd be grateful to just have a working exporter. From the posts I've seen the current exporter just needs a bit of tweaking by OM or someone else that can edit the python script that OM created to fix the rotation and scale numbers that seems to be the source of problems with getting the animation issue done.

Was there also an issue with textures as well? I'll try converting a textured 3ds model made in Truespace with OM's exporter to see for my self if textures are a problem as other peeps have indicated.

I guess if anything is ever going to get done then other peeps need to some testing to give OM some feedback on what to modify in the script the exporter uses.

It would be nice if other Blender users could post some models and other related files for us to examine and perhaps this might help to see from different perspectives things the original model maker may be missing. BNG.

Here's a zipped OM exported XSI. Apparently, there is an issue with textures not getting exported as the model I used was created with TS 7.6 exported as 3ds, imported into B3d complete with texture and exported with OM's XSI exporter. Note: The unit loaded fine in the BZII map editor minus the camo texture that I originally applied in Truespace.
http://cid-380832c976843acb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/BNG%5E4s%20BZII%20Models%20and%20Props%20for%20other%20BZII%20Modders/ivhawkom.zip
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

anomaly

Is anyone else having a problem in which each sub-object is rotated -90 degrees on the x-axis when you export from blender?  Like, even if the subobject's rotational transform in blender is set to 0, it still comes out as -90 in the .xsi file.  And this isn't a problem that I can fix by just rotating the whole object 90 degrees because when I have a hierarchy of subobjects, each parent that remains rotated effectively rotates its child in addition to the rotation that the child is stuck with.  Sorry, I know that isn't a very good explanation so, imagine a model made of a long chain of pieces that should all lay flat.  While the model lies flat in blender, it curls up like a rolled up tube of toothpaste in BZ2.  

In the xsi file, each transform matrix looks something like this:
FrameTransformMatrix
{
0.000000,-0.000000,-1.000000,0.000000,
0.000000,1.000000,-0.000000,0.000000,
0.000000,0.629800,0.000000,1.000000;;

If I manually change each matrix to something like this:
FrameTransformMatrix
{
0.000000,0.629800,0.000000,1.000000;;

Then my model looks fine in bz2.

BNG Da BZ Fool

C12, seems to be having a similar issue with the hp_eyepoint being off. It may be a Blender issue, but I don't really have a clue. 3ds files seem to import well into Blender, but still have no visible texture on the model in BZII.

To date the best luck I've had is exporting X models out of GSL/TS7.6, editing the HP's with Notepad, and converting that with Threed to XSI; It's not perfect, but at least I can definately say the models work in BZII complete with textures.

I can probably also use/do X animated models in BZII minus any textures of course; still trying to figure out that buggy problem though. Hopefully, OM will have some time to read some of our posts and offer some feedback on what to look for when we convert models using the XSI converter out of blender.

I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to happen with the exporter any time soon. Sadly, I've had more success using the X format then trying to use XSI model files other then using Threed converted ones?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Clavin12

I've tried everything. I highly doubt the eyepoint problem's on my end.
C l a v i n 1 2

mrtwosheds

A normal frametransormmatrix looks like this

FrameTransformMatrix
{
0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000;;

nice diagonal line of +1's

If anything is still pointing the wrong way with it like this, it is because you built it the wrong way round.
Most programs want you to build bz2 units with their nose pointing up.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Up is relative to what? In TS up is actually down when viewed from the overhead view. The reference must be based on the programs own axis system and then of course each object can have these too. It really does seem quite complicated considering each program operates on it's own set of standards...sanity it's does a body good!

In TS I keep the object info window visible, so that I'm always able to view the objects xyz rotation. The same box displays other useful info like part name, position and size; I just move it out of the way as needed when I construct new models. One useful thing I figured out is to load an existing BZII model (in the same workspace) in COB or 3DS form to reference from as I make or copy parts from it. Works pretty well on especially complicated BZII models.

mrtwosheds

QuoteUp is relative to what?
Up? no idea.
Relative to LOD models!
As you may discover at some point LOD models ignore any settings in FrameTransformMatrix!

So you build a nice detailed Tank and point it the right way, and then a Lod model for it. but what ever you do the LOD model points the way it was built, by bz2's rules.
So you have to build the main model the right way too or the LOD model will always be the wrong way round.

If you set the FrameTransformMatrix as above and your model points the right way, then you got it right :)

In lithunwrap I have to build .3ds with +z pointing down +y forward.
Alternatively I have to build .obj with +y pointing up and +z forward.

No Idea what your modeling program does.

Standards are for people who want their products to work well with other peoples products, for some strange reason software producers seem to find this a threatening concept and much prefer protectionism...