• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

BZ2 DXT Texture Generator updated

Started by GSH, February 02, 2007, 10:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

Update: posted a v11. There's a UI for mouse weenies. It still supports the commandline as well for those of us who believe that if we were meant to use a mouse, God would have given us a third hand. :P

-- GSH

BNG Da BZ Fool

I installed the dxt generator and apparently converted a ton graphic files to dxtbz2. Is there a file viewer available to see the files that were created? Looks pretty easy to use as well. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Red Devil

What box???

mrtwosheds

QuoteIs there a file viewer available to see the files that were created?
other than 1.3, no.
I make models and skin in lithunwrap, a .bmp is used to view here, I don't bother veiwing textures in threed (its crap at 512)
they come out looking fine in 1.3

OvermindDL1

BZ2's DXT is a normal DXT file but with a changed header for more information storage basically.  It would be simple to make a viewer or plugin for many things...

GSH

Update: posted a v12 then v13 - updated a bunch of 3rd party libs, made pre-scaling preserve more quality. Also added a vista security manifest (harmless on pre-Vista machines), and tweaked the readme slightly.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

okay question... DXT textures override any other textures you have in the folder with it right... so i can just

use this with my textures (which saing that are just the white ones :D) and stick them into my pak file and itll cut down on...

what exactly?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

GSH

.dxtbz2 files will override any .pic/.tga/.bmp/.whatever file if their timestamp on disk is newer than the .pic/.tga/.bmp/.whatever file. Think of them like .msh vs .xsi. .dxtbz2 files are also a (1) a lot smaller than most of the source files, (2) load a LOT faster (once again like msh), (3) make it harder for end users to modify (thought not quite as hard as .msh) and (4) have precomputed mipmaps for better quality ingame.

Once you've converted your source textures into .dxtbz2, you can ship only .dxtbz2 files with your mod. The size and no-edit features are great for that.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

sweet... ill do that then

can someone tell me how to use the tool?

Red Devil

It's in the Readme.txt that comes with it.
What box???

TheJamsh

ah okay ive got it... i understand now

apparently though any textures in .PAK files have to be exported into a folder first then imported back when they are converted

GSH

Update: posted a v14 of this app - libpng had a security update.

-- GSH

Dataanti

i had a problem with it

i tried to convert some bmp but it said this

QuoteFri Jun 20 10:41:53 Begin processing
  1/  3 Cliff.BMP Skip: not power-2-size (1536 x 1152)
  2/  3 Ice.BMP Skip: not power-2-size (1536 x 1152)
  3/  3 Snow.BMP Skip: not power-2-size (1536 x 1152)
Fri Jun 20 10:41:53 Finished processing

Files with errors in processing

Cliff.BMP
Ice.BMP
Snow.BMP

Is there anyway i can fix this?

Red Devil

Make their sizes powers of 2.

2^^n
====

What box???

Dataanti