• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Poly count for BZII models and props to optimize performance in game.

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, June 08, 2007, 09:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

OvermindDL1

BZ2 supports more than 3 verts per face just fine, as stated in the other thread.  I know that for a fact.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

mrtwosheds

QuoteThe worst part of triangulation is the flame meshes.
I sort of got round this by making the flames from triangles, 4 of them unattached to each other.

TheJamsh

flame meshes just pure and simple confuse me... havent got onto them yet...

oh and BBB, i dont use 3ds max because of that little green paper thing! (or red,yellow, green and pink here in UK)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

OvermindDL1

Money I would guess. :P

And American money has pink and other rainbow'ish colors on it nowadays too...

TheJamsh

correct =]

ooo nooo we have full on pink notes over here! (i THINK we do... is it bad to not know the colours of my currency?)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

He.. Aussie money is all the colours of the rainbow.. except pink or purple  :-P

My BZ2 mods:

BNG Da BZ Fool

MTS, you could try using GSL instead of Truespace as it is functionally the same as TS only of later release/design with some more advanced features like an actual UV map editor; TS has no utility for this. Additionally, it can save X files untriangulated in the Directx save options as well as the option to save in ASCII as needed for notepad editing, just remember to check the option prior to saving in X.

As far as I know, neither Threed or X2XSI triangulate by default when creating an XSI file from a GSL formatted X file. The problem with the TS X formatted files appears to be that X files are triangulated by default, and you need to check the ASCII option for every modeling session, i.e., every time you restart the program.

I use to triangulate all of my X models in GSL, but the poly count doubles with triangulation, and GSL has a 650 face limit per object, so after I discovered you don't really need to triangulate to get models into BZII; I disabled this option in the X save settings. 

GSL, is also much easier to model with then TS3.2, and the UI in TS is almost identical to GSL, i.e., icon based. Most of the icons being adjustable via right click to access settings for the tools in both applications.

Also, editing objects in GSL can be done via right clicking an object in the work space, or opening the scene editor expanding the hierarchy tree, selecting an object, right clicking it's cube icon, and selecting edit from the options box. TS, does not support right click editing of objects...BNG.

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

What I wanna know is where can I get some 'Red Backs' (they are sitting in warehouses) for when the evil plot to tank the dollar is over.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

QuoteMTS, you could try using GSL instead of Truespace
I am not using either of these, I am still using something that does not even pretend to be a modeling program, lithunwrap 1.3.   :lol:
The triangulation comes from convertion to .3ds format. This is the only format that I can get lithunwrap to export to that can then be converted to .x by 3dex.
I quite like lithunwrap's minimalist approach to geometric construction, it is also a good UV mapper, and UV mapping is the most important part of creating good looking models.

Can it Un-triangulate models?

Nielk1

Quote from: mrtwosheds on July 14, 2008, 07:14:50 PM
Can it Un-triangulate models?

I think that would be like trying to turn an apple cut in half back into an apple.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

You can, but there is no point to do so.  BZ2, when it reads the xsi or whatever, triangulates things anyway.

There's a flame mesh tutorial floating around on how to manually unwrap them correctly.  The exporter for Max just winds them wrong, mangling the flame.  I do much the same as mrtwosheds, and use triangular flames whenever possible.

-Av-