• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Poly count for BZII models and props to optimize performance in game.

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, June 08, 2007, 09:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

Yes, I had short nap and figured out that is what it was.
Still its useful now I have figured out two ways to make xsi triangulated and un-triangulated

Quote from: Dianoga4 on August 11, 2008, 06:19:17 AM
Can someone please tell me how this mrmfactor works and what the settings are?

Dia

MRM is 'Multi-Resolution-Mesh', a technology that Intel came up with to automatically make LOD (level of detail) objects for games.

It allows the designer to NOT have to make simpler models for viewing from far away, which is what LOD's are for.  They cut engine strain by simplifying distant objects, ones that you can't see all of the details on anyway.  Instead, the engine drops parts of the mesh automatically based on distance.

The designer can still mark verticies (model lines) to indicate the ones that are more important if MRM mangles a model too badly. 

It sortof works, but zooming in on a distant pilot model will show you the issues it has.  Of course, zoom could probably be linked into MRM such that MRM cuts back as you zoom in, but it's not in BZ2.

And, as far as I know, there are no settings.  It's either on or off...  experiment with MRMFACTOR = and then come back and tell us.  :)

-Av-

BNG Da BZ Fool

Adding detail where needed is a good way to keep poly counts to a manageable size. Most 3d modelers support adding edges and drawing new polygons on existing geometric objects. In Truespace, right clicking an object enters in to edit mode where you can add vertices's, edges, and my favorite draw new polygons on existing ones to add just the right level of detail highlighting only certain areas of the model. I use it on area's like cockpit windows. You can also draw out numbers and other cool symbols to add realistic unit markings. I even used another cool tool to put my initials on one of my units using the text drawing tool to sign it using the subtract boolean tool to imprint my initials; probably a good way to digitally sign the unit to protect against others claiming my work as their own if an issue arises down the road. I tried removing it afterwords, but the effort requires quite a bit of editing to undo it, and most peeps would probably give up in the effort anyways.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Another method for reducing the poly count on a BZII model or prop is to delete unneeded hidden faces on the models geometry. Examples of these are places where two separate but attached objects mate with another model part. Essentially, they're not needed and can safely be removed. A side benefit also appears to be useful when UV mapping a model or prop; less faces to map helps to simplify the UV map created for a bit easier skinning end result.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.