• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Problems with BZ2 & Latest Nvidia Drivers (8800GT, 9600GT)

Started by Steeveeo, March 31, 2008, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

With BZII, yes. Still doesn't support the REALLY old games like Battlezone 1. I have to run that in software mode, but I bet a virtual machine or emulator running BZ1 might allow hardware graphics.

CP5670

I just registered here. I've been a longtime fan of the BZ games and want to play through BZ2 again, but I'm getting the texture memory leak issue on a GTX 280. After a few minutes into the game, the framerates begin to decrease steadily and I get polygons popping out of the ground intermittently. I tested it on 177.43 and 180.48 in XP, and with both 1.2 and 1.3PB4a.

Setting the sky down to low fixes it but I would prefer not to do that if it can be avoided, especially since a few people here said it works fine on the same card. If there is a specific driver version that is known to work on a 280, I can revert to that temporarily.

There is also a minor additional issue with the ingame text, which looks chopped up (although it's still readable). I tried changing the half texel setting but that just makes it blurry instead.

ScarleTomato

If you go into the "NVidia Control Panel" under Control Panel in advanced mode you can set your 3D settings for specific applications. Im not sure which setting fixed it but I haven't gotten Steeveo's error in a while now, and have been playing 2-3 hour games.

Here are my current settings:
http://stu.cbu.edu/~myarbrou/Images/1.png

EDIT: NVM i just got the glitch again. So it still happens with those settings. I guess i was just lucky for a while.

CP5670

Yay, I finally got a response. :-P

I changed the settings to exactly what you have (through nHancer). The conformant texture clamp thing fixes the text issue, but the main problem is still there. Thanks for the help anyway.

It may only be occurring on certain maps, since it apparently depends on the skybox. One place where I can get it happen every time is the second campaign mission on Pluto, roughly around the point where you encounter the broken constructor.

I'm wondering if this only happens on the XP drivers. I have seen a few people say it works on this card but they all seem to use Vista 64.

ScarleTomato

dunno. Im using XP with an NVidia 8600GT. I can't get the error to happen on the second mission. If anyone knows of another point where it is a predictable occurrence that'd be good. The problem I've found with the program specific options is if i have multiple installs. Since the name is the same I can only add a list for one bzone.exe.

Steeveeo

Quote from: ScarleTomato on December 23, 2008, 05:52:20 PM
dunno. Im using XP with an NVidia 8600GT.
Dang, I think the 8600 was one of the working cards...so much for the fix :/

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

It is a working card, if you never update your drivers... ever.

Click on the image...

GSH

New nVidia drivers posted - see http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16180 . If the high sky detail doesn't work, then bug nvidia. Same thing I've said for a while.

-- GSH

ScarleTomato

Zamu

Meat is murder.... tasty, tasty murder.

VSMIT

What video card do you have?

And the sky really isn't necessary.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

tis pimp tho!

looks like nvidia are dropping support as the day goes by...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

ScarleTomato

Dianoga4

After using Nvidia cards for years I'm starting to think the same thing ScarleTomato.I have a Geforce 7950GT and I reverted back to the 175 drivers to see if it would help and I'm still getting major video lag issues in the game that I used to never get. I don't even know anything about ATI cards, guess I'll have to start doing some research.

Dia

Dianoga4

Well I went on the Nvidia forums and made a post about my problem and someone posted the recommended old drivers for my card and holy crap does everything work great now.

Dia