• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

MM5 Issues and Ideas

Started by CmptrWz, April 25, 2008, 08:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmptrWz

I am being nice.

When PB4 comes out (or when I feel like it, whichever comes first) I will begin working on what will likely be one of the LAST versions of MM5.

I have my own ideas as to what should be done. If you have any issues or ideas yourself, feel free to post them here (AND ONLY HERE, thank you very much, unless you are on the Private Beta team and it is only an issue with the private beta. Then post a thread there.)

I will evaluate each issue, even consider issues with it running in WINE if you tell me what happens, and decide what to focus on.

Current features list is "who knows" as I haven't figured out what I DID finish writing before I gave up on the moving target that is 1.3.

Commando

Do you plan on adding support for tieing specific .cfgs to mods?

Basically if I select mod FE, it automatically launches the febzone.cfg which is specified in the mod's mm5 file.

The lack of mod specific .cfg files is the only major 1.3 feature missing from MM5.  It would help eliminate the dependency of the rename folder and rename file functions used to launch FE.

CmptrWz

I have comments to that end in place, but no actual implementation written. I was obviously planning to before, though.

General BlackDragon

Kindof a request/questoin, the splash command works nicely, but image command, either A: i did it wrong, or B: it doesnt work. I tried bmp, jpg, png, tga, pic file formats, none would show. MM5 creates a box for the image to go in under description, but its blank? I used recommended size setting.

When a mod is selected, where you check "/edit" and type in a bzn name, when you exit game, the last map name typed in does not stay once you leave game, it resets to blank. When testing, I usually have to re type the entire bzn name in the blank again before hitting launch.

The map name stays if <NO MOD> is selected, but if any mod is selected, it doesnt :( This occurs with stock maps or otherwise. Also, if MM5 doesnt search through all the directories specified in the mod's CFG file for maps, it should do so. :)

And,..for addition,.. i'll go post that else where for you ;)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Commando

The one thing I didn't ever care for is how long it takes MM5 to search my bz2 directory for maps.  It does this each time MM5 is closed then reopened.  It has to generate a new list which takes a while instead of generating the list and storing the list with the ability to refreash when needed.

I doubt this is changeable though.

CmptrWz

I don't know about the version you have, but the version I found does that for when mods are not loaded, at least. Although it needs some work.

Just added MM5 to the local mantis install: http://13bugs.bzuniverse.com/

NOTE: Anything that is PRIVATE BETA related should be flagged as PRIVATE. Only myself and the person who reported it will be able to see it then.

OvermindDL1

Just search in a different thread and populate the gui as new maps are found, easy to do. :)

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Commando

I have a suggestion.

In the commandlist, populated with <Blank>, Include, SetDirectory, DName, Description, etc.  Basically adding SearchDir and allowing multiple instances that are executed in the order that they are listed.  Basically adding SearchDirectory so it can search for maps in alternate locations.

Since pb4 will have maps in @rootdir\maps13\missions\ instead of the old location of @rootdir\addon\missions\ I don't believe MM5 will find many of the maps.  This might explain why the beta I have runs a lot faster than it did in the past.  The version on my other Harddrive took forever to scan the maps after each launch of MM5.  It might take 15 seconds on this comp, probably due to addon\missions not existing and MM5 not searching the new maps location.

CmptrWz

Perhaps you should post that to mantis, then, so I don't forget. Although I think I have something like that in the works anyway.

CmptrWz

Want some input on this.

I am thinking about stripping out all of the pre-1.3 code from this new version of MM5. In particular, gearing it specifically for PB4+. New place for registry settings would be included, so as to not step on the previous 1.2 and earlier compatible versions.

Anyone have any feelings for/against this?

General BlackDragon

I would think MM5 could auto detect the version, and should be compatible with all BZ2 versions. Only uses the new 1.3 things if it detects version 1.3?

*****General BlackDragon*****

CmptrWz

1.3 changes enough to create a lot of additional checks or duplicated code as well.

BNG Da BZ Fool

MM5, does not list some maps, so you could improve it in that way. Also, is there a way to get it to always open the latest map editor version? It seems depending on the mod you select determines which map editor it open by default. I apparently have several different versions on my system: The original version, TV's version, the 1.3 version and Lizards variant. If possible could you move the edit option into the command line listing? I now it's a lot of work, but if this probably the last version then it would be nice to tweak as many things as possible based on player input. Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

CmptrWz

I know it doesn't list all maps, because the code currently doesn't support finding all of them.

As for your map editor issues, there is no way to select WHICH editor is loaded, because there is only ONE editor per version. I can either pass /edit on the command line, or call the editor executable. Everything else is assets, so the "editor" you get WOULD be determined by the mod. MM5 can't control that unless I make editor "sub-mods" that get jammed in on top of what is specified when you are in edit mode, which would only be possible with certain types of mods anyway.

BNG Da BZ Fool

This is more of a comment then a suggestion about improving MM5's usefulness. Some times when I select a map to play using MM5 it'll crash not long after the map loads when I jump out of my ship, but when I start BZII and load the same map to play everything works just fine and I can actually finish the game. This seems like a definite bug in MM5 that ought to be looked at to try and  make it more stable. Also, as I've mentioned before MM5 still has quite a problem finding and listing maps when I use it to search my system for maps. Mostly, I just use it to edit maps and stuff though.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.