• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Commando 1.2 Variant Suggestions

Started by Commando, August 04, 2008, 12:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

I would like to suggest that the jammer be balanced down a little bit from stock 1.3 settings. The reason being is that it makes the scions too effective at repelling seiges, which should be the ISDF's primary strong point in late game (the scions typically seige using a mauler charge, or spire+archer walk with titans leading the advance -- whereas the ISDF use assault units to break scion emplacements) -- as is, scions are already pretty effective late-game in a 3v3 or 4v4 situation because of the offensive abilities of their maulers and the defensive abilities of a human piloted warrior.

Also, maulers seem to have been nerfed in stock 1.3 -- in both ai charging speed and their capacity to absorb damage, can they be balanced up a little bit to compensate for this?
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Commando

As far as I know, maulers haven't been touched regarding speed and armor.  At least they weren't intentionally changed.  The only change I am aware of is the build requirement change which was undone before or after pb1.

Commando

Has anyone even tested these odfs yet?

Zero Angel

No, sorry. I still need to find another 1.3 player who is willing to participate in strats. I refuse to participate in a testing strat against a vastly inferior opponent (manyy 1.3 players -- I understand this comes off as arrogant, but most 1.3 players have only a couple months of strat experience (or play like they do) -- or are MPI players, or I cannot get a hold of them to arrange games).
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

Commando

Zero Angel

Yea thanks for reminding though. I'll put this on my todo list. Now that you bring it up again -- I'm sure i can get a few of my 1.2 buddies to test the modified rec variant for balancing.
{bac}Zero Angel

TheJamsh

i was under the impression that a lot of code on jammer objects was changed to make them more effective.

as for maulers, i know physics had more changes. sometimes they also build IN the ground rather than properly on it which doesnt help.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Zero Angel

Yea I noticed that most of these are code changes, hence the ODFs need to be re-adjusted to compensate for the physics changes.

In my opinion the Jammers are *too* effective now, because of the code change. Hence I was suggesting a way to balance them down to the level that they're still useful.

As well the maulers be balanced up because they seem to be far less effective than they used to be.

I have tested stock 1.3pb4 maulers in scion v scion strat lately and they seem to be fine in a scion v scion situation since scions have very poor defense against a mauler charge (save for having a ship equipped for EMP to stop maulers in their tracks). So they fill the same role as the bomber (you have to be constantly on the lookout for it, or it will deliver massive damage). I defeated sheppy's million mauler charge with Jammers (to prevent him from painting my base), a Sonic/EMP warrior (EMP to stop the mauler, sonic to kill it), and a couple of maulers to kill his EMP disabled maulers. So I can say that scions have effective defense against maulers, but not a foolproof way (it requires lots of preparation and will not work so well against 4 human piloted maulers).

Stock PB4a maulers in scion v ISDF strat are MUCH less effective since many veteran ISDF teams can deploy defenses against the mauler charge, including MITS mines, salvo rckt tanks, pummel turrets (to defend against a rec rush) -- as well that ISDF teams are already typically equipped with weapons (chains, MDM) that are strong against maulers. Hence in PB4a, maulers are strong/balanced against scion teams yet weak against ISDF teams (unless the ISDF players have poor battlefield insight (ie: dont watch the minimap, dont paint for their allies, etc) -- which is not a big problem for strong ISDF players)
{bac}Zero Angel