• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Fed Up

Started by CmptrWz, August 25, 2008, 01:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmptrWz

Today I got up, started some laundry, went to visit my insurance agent about canceling my policy with them due to switching insurance companies. They haven't been around for a couple of weeks now, and were impossible to work with for a month before that.

They weren't there. I had to call their parent company to get a human.

I come home, move some laundry around, make some code changes in MM5 to hopefully get BZ2 to run longer when it runs it (haven't seen the issue myself). For some reason I find coding relaxing. Decide to test the changes by running BZ2. Hell, why not play an actual game, I have time.

I start up a MPI on the latest public beta. No password, anyone can join, firewall should let people in. Start beating up on the CPU, but not too much, I want to go for an hour or so at least to make sure things are stable.

Ten minutes into the game someone joins. Named "playisdf". No clue who they are at this point. I wasn't playing as "CmptrWz" so I don't know if they knew who I was, doubt they did.

They ask if they can join me. That was fine. I say yes. They come in.

They ask for a Sabre. I happen to have one, I give them it.

Then they kill me, call me a n00b, and tell me to give them command. I kick them.

A moment later they come back in, apologize, and get back into the game. No sooner do I hop out of my scout to change settings in the recycler do they kill me again.

I ban them.

A few minutes later my firewall tells me that they are portscanning me. They find a few fake processes I keep running just for people who do so, and attempt to get into them. Fail, they are fakes after all, but I have a nice log of all the attacks they tried.

I resume playing, figuring I will look into it later. Being pissed I am doing great and horribly at the same time. Good at blowing stuff up, not so good at base management.

Someone else comes in, this time with an actual name. Which I am withholding. They ask if they can join me. I say yes. They come in and join me. Not longer after they ask if they can have command, I politely decline. So they kill me. I have had enough of this, I ban them too.

Not long after that I have to take care of something else, so I quit. Later, looking at things here on BZU and in my firewall logs both people appear to have most likely been the same person. Who emailed ME with my own IP saying that if I am registered on BZU I should ban myself.

I have opted not to ban them from BZU, however. They probably won't care anyway. But if people in the community are pulling crap like this, well, I don't want to be in it anymore. Every time I try to play BZ2 I like the community less and less.

BZU is now in "reply only" mode, with one exception. Registrations are no longer moderated, they are outright disabled. In the near future I will decide if BZU should go to being a static site, or just go away.

Nielk1

I think I ran into that guy... I never knew he was port scanning me when I banned him, got'ta look that up now. Some of the ppl I run into online are despicable. At least the Australians have all been nice so far but you have to be up so late/early to play with them.

EDIT:
If you are going to make it read only PLZ warn me so I can bump my site's topic up (with your permission of course).

Click on the image...

GENERAL MANSON*

Did you try blocking their ip from your connection? I know there alot of players among bz2 that do that sort of crap so i just block ip for good and take no regret for it. About 5 weeks ago i hosted a game like you did and they tried to break through picked ip and banned them. Made a phone call with that ip in hand, called service provider gave them ip etc etc done with it. I only let people in game that i know of and that's it. If they caused me a problem before and join i either ban or kick name or ip. Some players are making names that you cant ban but if i knew how to ban ip in bz2 i would be very happy.

@Nielk1 So true for the Australians. I passed out while playing a game with them head on desk when i woke up lol.

Nielk1

I run into the least garbage players in BZ2. BZ1, GMod, Battlefield, all full of what GMod call's Mingebags.
It is more of a situation with with humanity as a whole.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

:(

IN any game, there are bound to be people like that.

I've never run into someone quite THAT bad. I think you just have bad luck.  :|

Please don't take your anger out on us, we have nothing to do with whoever that was :( I really don't see why we should be punished.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

We're not so much being punished as CmptWz is just no longer providing a service.

I've had arguments with ppl about how driving is a privilege not a right and all that so I've got this argument down. :-P

It is very sad however :cry:

Click on the image...

Red Devil

I run into those types of players myself sometimes, but not always, and we aren't them.

I've had some of the most enjoyable games with some of the best players lately.  Everybody's respectful, looks out for one another, shares units and command, and are very pleasant.

There's always a few bad apples that want to spoil the barrel.
What box???

shane ward

Thanks "CmptrWz" what a star!

Once little t**AT messed things up and pissed you off and now you decide to make bzuniverse useless.

If you want to play a good game then I am sure there are lots of people here that will be happy to arrange a time to play a good and sensible game, of course when you play a game without arranging it you will get the odd dodgy person appearing and messing things up.

But why close and mess up the site, what did I do? I offered a lot to you and everybody else in this community and nothing to say about this massive project that I am already working on in secret. Now it's all messed up, cannot get support cannot post, cannot do nothing.

I did not realise that this happened until a few moments ago. I am so pissed, it feels like I posted too many things and I am not blame!

I get crap all the time, but I just take it in one way and let it go. There are time that things are hard, but this is too the point that could end BZ2.

You do realise that bzuniverse is the HUB for everything related to battlezone!

This just sucks!

Normally I am not a person to get this angry, but this just added the icing on the cake!.
Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

GENERAL MANSON*

I have my community free site on my profile made by invision if he wishes to ditch bzuniverse. Quite boring at it though but 1 main rule. No spam and you still do it when i say no spam well your banned for a month. Spelling error a day or more :P.

CmptrWz

Every time I have popped into someone else's game, or started one up myself, in the past YEAR, if not longer, I have either had to deal with people being pricks because I showed up as "CmptrWz" or have dealt with people being pricks because I did NOT show up as "CmptrWz".

Used to be I could show up as one of my many aliases, have a good time, and not have to worry about pre-arranging anything. I could play my way, or if I wasn't hosting and the person running the game thought it should be played differently, leave. On good terms. Without being yelled at. And end up playing a game with the same people with me hosting and not having an issue.

This did not come from a single game. This was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. The community has made BZ2 more of a chore to me than anything else, and I am sick of it. I get much more enjoyment out of other games right now, even when I do run into pricks in them. Mainly because I don't run into pricks every time I play like I seem to in BZ2.

Why should I continue to support something that, due to the way I am treated whenever I play, is no longer fun for me? Can you give me any reason whatsoever?

Zero Angel

What is their IP? There is nothing ethically wrong with making their IP public, especially since it can be gleaned from a simple /iplist or netstat command. Some vets keep an iplist of all the players so they know who is trying to cloak, AV their servers, or cause any other sort of mischief.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

shane ward

There is a large amount of people trading Ideas and information on this site and getting help to make battlezone a even better game.

Mod developers and map makers are using the site to post their ideas, mods, maps, help and many other aspects to. New objects and ideas are being spread around and people are talking to each other building up the community and making battlezone better. I do not know about other people but I am sure that almost everyone involved with battlezone will click on this site to check on what is going on, I always check the "Who's online" and it is always active.  I am even sure the original makers of the game come here to see how things are progressing. Like I said this is the HUB for anything battlezone and very important. The amount of posts on this topic in a short time should already tell you this.

Also future developments in the game might be hampered as there is no posting for battlezone 1.3 or 1.4. GSH will have no place to update anything and am I sure he will disappear, and any other outstanding people that use this site to keep things rolling. THIS GAME IS NOT DEAD UNTILL IT IS BUIED 800FT UNDER.

I do not play much online games, and from what I can see, it's just the online issue that is causing problems, it might be the fact that there is just a few trouble makers out there that are not old enough to play properly.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, the site seems to be working well by it's self, I do not know if you have to do any matence on it or anything, it's just a database that people add and expand, until the server blows up or some upgrade is needed. And from what I can see everyone on the form has been behaving themselves and things have been going good. Why change that.

It seems like you have been having a bad day at home, then some as***e online just made you day. Maybe later you will feel better and decide that this is  a little harsh.

Also, whats the point in doing this, it's not going to teach the little git anything and only punishing the good community members that are trying to do something. and it wont make you feel better. it will do absolutely nothing.

Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

General BlackDragon

Actually the 1.3 dev forum was the "one" exception.

And, Shane is correct. That one reason I can give you, the one thing that has kept BZ2 alive so this long, is the community.

These forums help spearhead the collective effort to make this a better game, and keep it going. This is the "primary" BZ2 forums.

Cutting off the ability to make new threads/register here publicly only greatly hurts the BZ2 Community.

:(

*****General BlackDragon*****

Feared_1

You'll get people like this in BZ2, actually in any game.

I will guarantee that not everyone is like that who plays. Try again, your experience will be better with different people. That guy was a newb who can't take no for an answer.

Try again. :-)

bigbadbogie

Quote from: CmptrWz on August 25, 2008, 02:58:10 PM
Every time I have popped into someone else's game, or started one up myself, in the past YEAR, if not longer, I have either had to deal with people being pricks because I showed up as "CmptrWz" or have dealt with people being pricks because I did NOT show up as "CmptrWz".

You think you are alone??

Every single one of us has the same damn problem with the low-lifes who ruin our multiplayer games.

I have devoted over a year of my life to this game, made a full scale mod and played a great many multiplayer games.

I AM STILL HERE!! The community are all still here. Everyone else puts up with the rubbish we sometimes get because we get a greater enjoyment out of modding and playing the game.

I really don't want to blame you CmptrWz for this, because I know that you have devoted far longer to this site and game that I have. But who can I blame?? A single idiot who happened to join your game? You just got unlucky that one day.

You hit the pokies and lost twenty bucks so you get angry and go and attack your friends with a baseball bat.

The reason to keep the forum alive maybe, is to help us - the ones who still enjoy this truly unique game. Even if you don't enjoy it anymore there are heaps of us who still do and always will.

And by the way... I am a very nice Australian.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com