• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

/nodxt isn't doing sod all...

Started by Raven, September 05, 2008, 03:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Ok ok I'm bored of this now.

1.3pb4a

NO graphics card I've ever used has liked DXT textures. Including this one.
/nodxt used to work, but, on this stupid card, ooooh no it still insists on using them.

So I've got the /nodxt in the shortcut to no effect, ever. But I suddenly rememebred "Catalyst Control Centre has DXT textures enabled *DOH*" so I have new hope.
So I disabled them, loaded bz2 and its STILL trying to use them. Its even worse because the card has overridden them and isn't displaying any textures what so ever anymore. Anything that used DXT including the cursor, smoke in the shell and all terrain and models are just blank. I turned it back on and resumed playing its usual, horrible, blocky visuals.

So, forgive my idiocy but how in gods name do you turn bloody DXT off in 1.3pba? I'm bored of these horrible graphics.

Steeveeo

Same issue, enabling /noDXT in PB3 brought shell text back during an NVidia Skydome issue, now everything is gone like the command isnt even there...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

I;m not sure, but maybe the command isn't there anymore. There was hefty auto detect code put in. There is likely a gameprefs line you can copy to localprefs and edit to force it how you want.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

yeh it has to be done wih gameprefs

i experienced the same problem

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Steeveeo

Quote from: Nielk1 on September 05, 2008, 03:49:16 PM
I;m not sure, but maybe the command isn't there anymore. There was hefty auto detect code put in. There is likely a gameprefs line you can copy to localprefs and edit to force it how you want.

Whats the line, I cant find it in gameprefs.

TheJamsh

ooo um, i cant remember now.

al i know is he removed the commandline option, for the reason that NK stated. ill have a gander

Steeveeo

Changelog didnt say, and I cannot see it in gameprefs.

Raven

*Starts searching*

Can only see one thing that even mentions DXT textures. And thats about mipmaps.

Pointers? I seriously need ot off its disgusting :lol:

Red Devil

That's because it's in render.cfg:  (and render_editor.cfg)

// Controls use of DXT (compressed) textures. If this is -1 (default),
// BZ2 takes its best guess as to whether your hardware supports DXT.
// (DXT textures were part of the DirectX spec *before* BZ2 was
// released in December 1999, so if your hardware doesn't support it,
// please try and get a video card made this century).
// If this setting is 0, or the autodetermine thinks your system can't
// handle it, BZ2 will uncompress any DXT textures on load. If this is
// 1, both DXT and uncompressed textures are fair game.

UseDXT = -1
What box???

TheJamsh

aha! problem solved =]

what card do you use Raven? and out of curioisty, do all the black bits of textures go transparent lol?

Steeveeo

hrrm, noDXT (or in this case UseDXT = 0) doesnt fix the text issue anymore...

Red Devil

What box???

Raven

ATI Radeon HD2400 PRO. Terrible if you ask me... Still not got the PSU for the 9600GT :P

Thanks Red Devil you've stopped my eyes bleeding.

And no, the black bits weren't transparent, DXT just made all textures aside from shells horrible and blocky.

EDIT:
Ok its still using bloody DXT textures. I edited both render.cfgs and even put taht line in localprefs just in case.
It looks exactly the same. I also tried the graphics card DXT option again, no missing textures but its still blocky as hell.

Just out of curiosity, do the uncompressed (or rather, non-DXT'd) textures even still exist in the path somewhere?  Could it be that the only way to get rid of using DXT textures now completely would be to remove the DXT processed ones?

// If this setting is 0, or the autodetermine thinks your system can't
// handle it, BZ2 will uncompress any DXT textures on load.

So, setting it to zero gives you the uncompressed DXT textures.  This may not help...  the textures were still compressed and auto-mipped via the DXT utility, so they could still be lesser quality than the original textures.

Are we back to needing a high-quality texture patch?

-Av-

Nielk1

My PB3 always looked like crap until I made my own DXT files all at MAX quality.

Click on the image...