• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

anyone know of a good program that compresses large files....

Started by GENERAL MANSON*, September 14, 2008, 12:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GENERAL MANSON*

OvermindDL1

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

GENERAL MANSON*

I forgot to add without using zip program or winrar. Just basic files and stuff from my windows sp2 cd. The contents are to big to burn :(.

CmptrWz

What is your goal? To make a bootable CD that can install windows? Or are you just including patches to run on other machines?

Nielk1

So you want it compressed but not in an archive and runnable on a disk?

Just get a bigger disk -.-

Click on the image...

GENERAL MANSON*

Simple just burn the contents to a cd. Trying to save my copy that i had dell send me last year. Its starting to get scratched up.

I have a bootdisk or two that can boot all windows machines just cant do what i put above. pita. :)
                                                                                                 I like that acronym ^.
Quote from: Nielk1 on September 14, 2008, 01:16:58 PM
So you want it compressed but not in an archive and runnable on a disk?

Just get a bigger disk -.-

Is there a place where i can order cd-r larger then 720 meg?

CmptrWz

Sounds like you have an image you should be burning, not a file, which may fit after the image headers and such are stripped away.

GENERAL MANSON*

Quote from: CmptrWz on September 14, 2008, 01:20:28 PM
Sounds like you have an image you should be burning, not a file, which may fit after the image headers and such are stripped away.

Mind to elaborate. Not much knowledge on images on cds. Just for windows as far as i care :P.

CmptrWz

If you are trying to copy an existing disk then you need to use a CD copying program, not drag the contents off and onto a new one with the Windows Built-In piece of crap burning engine, as there are parts of the disk that will NOT be copied as a result.

If you have a single file then you most likely need to burn it as an image, and not as a file. Again, the Windows Built-In piece of crap burning engine will not help you.

GENERAL MANSON*

Just dandy. I have 2 that can burn images but have to go through 3 gigs of storage on my network mail server to even find it. I might just do that later.

Bad thing is one doesnt work well and the other works but includes Adware.  :cry:

OvermindDL1

Google CDBurnerXP (I am pretty sure that was the name), a good free burning software (capable of burning images like that) in the vein of the *nix versions, but for windows.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

GENERAL MANSON*

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 14, 2008, 11:09:23 PM
Google CDBurnerXP (I am pretty sure that was the name), a good free burning software (capable of burning images like that) in the vein of the *nix versions, but for windows.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Thanks. Ill make a note of that. Trying to get a new hd first before this one quits then ill try it. Just as a precaution.

You can also try to 'overburn' the disc, if what you're copying is just slightly larger than what a disc will hold...  overburning will keep burning as long as it gets a valid checksum back from the copy, so it goes until it hits errors.  Success is very dependant on how good of a blank you start with...  :)

-Av-

TheJamsh

i feel stupid saying this, but buy a bigger disc is the issue surely?

or use a HD DVD disc... they go up to like 20 gigs now if i remember correctly...

maybe im wrong :D

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.