• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

News page?

Started by technoid, October 10, 2008, 11:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technoid

Now that BZU has a front page again, i.e. wiki, will there be a some sort of news page on it, such as on the home page of the wiki?  Or is Battlezone-related news so slow and rare these days that it's not necessary anymore?   If there will be a news page, it would be nice to see all the news put back up starting since the days of PBZ, Ghostfire, Menacer and later.  News stuff gives BZU (and these 2 games) a sense of history, legacy and years of communal activity, not to mention good ol' reminiscing.  Someone would need to compile all that news text content off webarchive.org or whatnot. 

If no newspage, that's ok. 

bigbadbogie

I do not recommend a news page.

News pages have a tendency to bore people enough to leave a site. I don't completely understand the psychology but it seems to do it.

It's kind of like it starts to feel so official that you subconsciously start to believe that you are no longer required and slowly deteriorates your passion for the site.

Or not...
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

OvermindDL1

There can be a little small square on the front page that is templated in from another news page that people can submit stories to (maybe through the discussion?) would be easy to do.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

technoid

The wiki's Current Events section also seems like a good place for news/events, at http://www.bzuniverse.com/BZUniverse:Current_events

Would also be nice to have links to other BZ wiki's out there (such as the ones established at wikipedia.org for BZI-BZII), on the left nav menu, if not at the Community Portal section, so that people are aware of them and are listed in one place for convenience.

Nielk1

There is a third BZWiki?

BTW, I think to call info from the other page it's {{BZUniverse:Current_events}}

Click on the image...

technoid

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 11, 2008, 11:57:25 AM
There is a third BZWiki?
Dunno what you mean, I just meant "wiki's" in general.  As for wikipedia, I was referring to the one's that are related to this game:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone (of course this includes the Atari one).

Nielk1

Oh, ok :-p

For a sec there I though we had 3 wikis like Stargate Does.

Click on the image...

technoid

Which Stargate wiki's and why do they have 3?