• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Stop Demanding a PB4B Patch

Started by Commando, October 20, 2008, 12:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky_foot

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 23, 2008, 05:46:26 PM
Not just marketing, they cut off production a bit early (as GSH pointed out to me).

I am still wondering what the Spacial Displacement Tower was supposed to do.

And the critics bashed it to pieces as it changed the original things from BZ1. I'm just glad Pandemic has allowed Ken and GSH to continue to work on it. :)
Jonathan S.

Dataanti

Quote from: lucky_foot on October 24, 2008, 06:31:26 AM
And the critics bashed it to pieces as it changed the original things from BZ1. I'm just glad Pandemic has allowed Ken and GSH to continue to work on it. :)

even if Pandemic said no cant they still work on it and stuff by them selves and make patches and stuff just like any other player can do if they know how

lucky_foot

Quote from: Dataanti on October 24, 2008, 09:11:32 AM
even if Pandemic said no cant they still work on it and stuff by them selves and make patches and stuff just like any other player can do if they know how

Nope. Cause they've got to devote the money they are paying their programmers to writing and maintaining games like Mercenaries II, Saboteur , etc.

Time costs money for companies that big.
Jonathan S.

TheJamsh

well they sure arnt going to let them work on it in there spare time.

but quite frankly, Ken and GSH practically wrote the program. so they should be able to access it.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

lucky_foot

Quote from: TheJamsh on October 24, 2008, 10:36:22 AM
well they sure arnt going to let them work on it in there spare time.

Not arguing, but either you or I missed the point. It was said up above that they work on this program in their spare time at home. The company doesn't control your home time. ;)

Quote from: TheJamsh on October 24, 2008, 10:36:22 AM
but quite frankly, Ken and GSH practically wrote the program. so they should be able to access it.

There were a lot of other people that wrote BZ2. They worked on the patch. (This is just clarification) if it was only them then the credits wouldn't be long. :D
Jonathan S.

technoid

Quote from: lucky_foot on October 24, 2008, 11:54:16 AM
Not arguing, but either you or I missed the point. It was said up above that they work on this program in their spare time at home. The company doesn't control your home time. ;)
Yeah and it's not just that, it's that Pandemic gave Nathan and Ken an okay ("approval" sounds too formal, heh) to do the BZ2 patch, but only in their spare/free time (i.e. at home, away from work).  And of course, no money involved as said, to Ken/Nathan, either from us consumers or from Pandi, under or over the table, not even voluntary donations, otherwise there would be legal matters by Pandi/Acti, such as them getting fired, afaik.  I suppose part of the reason we have v1.3 is because Pandemic saw the light in hindsight that Activision never really gave them  enough time to hone this game by the time it went gold in 1999; thus it suffered by the hands of critics, not just because of change of concept from BZ1, as aforementioned, but also the prevalent bugs in v1.0.  And so because of this hindsight, there's just a little bit of redemption by Pandemic to let Nathan/Ken help us progress BZ2. Hence the "benign neglect" status, hehe.  And actually the first time we see Pandemic serving our BZ2 gaming needs for free was with patch 1.2, which Activision never approved as post-beta.

There are many other games out there, older than BZ2, that are still active in playing/modding, Quake2 for example (only a couple years older than BZ2 though).  So I think most of us are glad that BZ2 still has life, ~8 years later.  ;)

TheJamsh

yeh i meant something different

i meant the company cant NOT let them work on it in their spare time.

there were only six programmers for BZ2... its in the manual.

Zero Angel

Quote from: TheJamsh on October 26, 2008, 06:01:49 AM
yeh i meant something different

i meant the company cant NOT let them work on it in their spare time.

there were only six programmers for BZ2... its in the manual.
They COULD, by choosing to withhold the source code, or forbidding any more modifications to it. The original source code is, after all, property of Pandemic.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

TheJamsh

bah, that would be poo. well at least they are letting them go that far...

lucky_foot

That's why Pandemic is so cool. ;) They make the brand new games, but let those older games still live. :D What do you think the BZ2 community would have been if they had locked down on the source code? :D

Jonathan S.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: lucky_foot on October 27, 2008, 06:57:45 AM
That's why Pandemic is so cool. ;) They make the brand new games, but let those older games still live. :D What do you think the BZ2 community would have been if they had locked down on the source code? :D

Well the game i used to play, BOTS!!, is the english version of BOUT!! (bout is korean) and bout closed down, and so did the companys that made the patches for BOTS and BOUT. But acclaim is trying to hack the source code to make their own patches for bots, ive heard.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

OvermindDL1

[offtopic]BOTS is?  (Google comes up with like 500million unrelated bot related entries :P )[/offtopic]

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

bigbadbogie

Hacking the Koreans? Is that really wise? *Puts paper bag on head.*
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Ego - Nikolas

Im Demanding a PB4B Patch !
Or atleast  8-) 1.3 as full release
Why play bugy pacth anyway :-D  :mrgreen:

bigbadbogie

Not cool.

I say mods should delete that post. And consider banning this guy.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com