• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Word Censoring

Started by Sonic, February 09, 2009, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

As much as I would like to say we are all adults, there is the occasional complaint about a word being used here or there. So to make everyone happy, I have enabled word censoring on the forums. However, if you choose that you are adult enough to handle seeing the word, please visit your profile, go to Look and Layout and select "Leave words uncensored".
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

AHadley

Interesting, I always assumed swearing incurred a ban... :evil:

bigbadbogie

*Ammo* * crap.

Interesting. It only blocks the eff word.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Angstromicus

Yes, BBB  :lol:...

It's a work in progress. Sonic and I were having a discussion about forum policy last night. Most things are case-by-case or common sense. But the thing that we were confused about was how to handle profanity. There is a rule explicitly barring vulgarity in the Overdrive Terminal, but there were no rules regarding vulgarity for the rest of the boards.

While vulgarity covers a wide range of indecency, Sonic and I assumed that profanity would be accepted as the norm for someting considered indecent. Profanity isn't a easy issue to deal with on a case-by-case basis when there is no rule premitting or barring it.

So, considering how rarely profanity has been used in the community (at least outside of flaming), it was assumed that some members may not take kindly to profanity here, or would at least not prefer to see it.

We decided it would be appropriate to enable the censor filter with some of the mroe severe profane words (words which would be extremely unlikely to be detected within other non-profane words).

Opinions are welcome. The BZII community has been largely a self-regulated one, and has functioned quite well that way. Hopefully the censor filter / profanity policy won't change that. We don't want to be soccer moms, after all  :wink:.

Nielk1

Good, because I don't like seeing efff everywhere. Damn I'm ok with, but eff, oi! Block the N word too.

Click on the image...

Feared_1

For whatever words are blocked, please don't try to sneak your way around the filter to push the word through. That only shows you're trying to be vulgar, and there is no reason for that.

Sonic

Yes, if I catch you purposely bypassing the filter, I will ban you for a few days. Keep doing it and the ban will be permenent.

For those curious, here are the current words.
*Ammo*
*beep*
*Service Truck*

Take note, if you choose not to leave words uncensored, those were censored so. :P

Steeveeo

Error: Anti-Censorship Option only shows in the forum default skin. Please add for those of us using SMF and Babylon.

And no, it doesn't keep if you switch to the default forum skin, change it, save, then switch back, I have just tried that.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Sonic

Apparently the admin option to allow users to see words uncensored is applied per theme. Babylon claims it has the option on btw.

Steeveeo

Uncensoring works now.

BTW, you realize that "Niger" is a country, right? :P

Sonic

No I did not, I figured one g was a common mispelling.

Steeveeo

Heh, geography failure :P

By the way, I must say that I do not find "Bitch" all that bad of a curse, as I use it often in the context of "this is gunna be bitch to fix," or, "son of a bitch, MORE SWARM!" I think it's a matter of opinion though.

Also, I think the word "*Service Truck*" should be added, as that is just offensive and cant really be used in any other context from insults (or cybering, but I highly doubt anyone does that here...right?).

Angstromicus

True... didn't think about that usage.

AHadley

Censoring option isn't available on the Dark Theme Black one either, could you enable it? seeing Service Trucks and AMMO everywhere is getting confusing and annoying

Sonic

Quote from: AHadley on February 12, 2009, 11:41:59 AM
Censoring option isn't available on the Dark Theme Black one either, could you enable it? seeing Service Trucks and AMMO everywhere is getting confusing and annoying

It's there, just checked. You in "Look and Layout" options and selected the "leave the words uncensored"?

Also, bitch is no longer censored but *Service Truck* is.