• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone II 1.3 Tech Alpha 5 released

Started by GSH, April 24, 2009, 04:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

See http://www.visi.com/~nathan/bz2/bz2_13.html for download info.

Fileplanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/199116/190000/fileinfo/Battlezone-II:-Combat-Commander---Unofficial-Public-Beta-Patch-1.3--version-TA5

The major improvements of 1.3ta5, compared to pb4a are:

- Updated graphics engine that uses (and requires) DirectX 9.0c for the best balance of compatibility and speed. Hardware transform & lighting is now supported, allowing a lot of work to be offloaded from your CPU and onto your graphics card. New DirectX features like fullscreen antialiasing (or multisample antialiasing) are supported to improve visual quality.
- Various lagout bugs in network games should be drastically reduced
- Further support for Windows Vista/7 -- should fully support being installed to paths with unicode, has high-resolution icon for Windows Explorer
- Music from the BZ2 CD is now distributed with this patch, in ogg vorbis format, allowing for better performance. You can also set up a random playlist of music to be played ingame, if you copy in .ogg files to the right place and the right name. (Note: other music needs to be user-supplied.)

Note: system requirements have changed; see more in the link above. The short summary of things is that ta5 requires Win2000 or later. It requires a CPU with Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) support, as did pb4a before it. Also, a graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0c with hardware Transform & Lighting (T&L) is required.

Note: There are a number of mods updated for ta5 or developed specifically for ta5. I've asked those modders to hold off on releasing them for 1 week so that people can enjoy all of the new items that ta5 has to offer. There's a ton of new options, recycler variants and new maps available out of the box.

Thanks to Ken Miller for his continued attention to BZ2, the loving support of my wife and daughter, all of the beta testers, and the BZ2 community for their continued interest in this game.

Why is this patch labeled 'Tech Alpha'?

Previous 1.3 releases were labeled 'public beta'. This is a 'tech alpha' because of the nature of the changes to BZ2. In short, because the graphics engine was rewritten to use the DirectX 9.0c fixed function pipeline, extensive work was done. From my professional work, as well as from reading about the PC Games Industry, ensuring compatibility with all of the myriad graphics cards and thousands of possible drivers is a really tough problem. Beta testers for this release have ensured that the game runs on their systems. However, we can't be sure that their systems cover the spectrum of hardware and drivers out there. If you've got a system like one of theirs, things will probably work as well for you as it does for them. If you've got a more unique set of hardware or drivers, results are not guaranteed. Until a larger community has run 1.3techalpha5 for a while, we would rather be safe and call this 'alpha.' If it works for you, great. If not, please drop by http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum and help us improve it.

-- GSH

Purplehaze

Sounds good, I wasn't expecting it so early, Thanks

But i notced a slight error, When you said that modders should hold of the release, Did not not mean "I asked modders to hold off the release for at least 1 week so that users can get used to 1.3ta5"?

Im glad to hear about all of this, It's such a great timing too.
Hey you, Yeah you, In that window, hop outta there.

wasd

Warfreak

He wishes NO MODS AT ALL come out until after May 1st, 2009.

The stock stuff will leave you drooling in itself.  :-D

Purplehaze

Grr
it stopped the last second, ah well, I'll get it eventually

Im hoping so, I thought that stock wasn't going to be changed much.

wasd

Sabre Tank

Purplehaze

wasd

Nielk1

GH:DropZone is the new map I can think of.

Click on the image...

Sabre Tank

Also, does this overwrite 1.3pb4a? Or do I have to do a fresh install?

Warfreak

Fresh Install Recommended, You can install over pb4a if you wish.

GSH

Also, does this overwrite 1.3pb4a? Or do I have to do a fresh install?

As before, it can be installed over a previous install, but a fresh install is recommended.

-- GSH

Sabre Tank

I have a problem already.

I did a fresh install and stuff, and when I try to launch from the bzone file in the folder, it says this, "The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

GSH

Sabre- that message appears when you have not installed the Visual Studio redist files. The installer should launch all three MS redist installers. Do NOT skip out of them; let them do their work. You can re-run them by opening up the 'Redist' folder in the same directory you installed TA5 into, and manually running them.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

I hope everyone here has just as much fun playing the patch as i did testing it!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Spot

lol, I guess I wont spending time trying to understand C++ this weekend
I completelly missed this eventhough I've been online for .. er .. too long :)
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Nielk1

DX9 means launching it was a 3rd party shortcut in steam makes the Steam Overlay work!

Click on the image...