• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Known Issues

Started by Red Devil, April 25, 2009, 09:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

That's happened to me, ZA. They also seem to get back in their ships now and again.

swaaye

Quote from: Red Devil on April 25, 2009, 09:21:49 AM
Should have posted this at the outset.  I'll add to the list as I wake up...

1. Spotlights - They're really expensive in DX9, so copy this section out of GamePrefs.ini into LocalPrefs.ini and tweak the setting downwards until it works okay on your rig:

This is interesting.

What if one's running one of the modern DX10 cards that has stupid amounts of vertex shader power cuz of the ability to devote the entire shader core to just that? Is the performance impact mostly pertinent for older cards?

I'm surprised that we aren't at a point where hardware TCL performance isn't just insane and can easily handle whatever BZ2 could toss its way.

AHadley

BZ2 doesn't use video cards as much as modern games. Instead, it draws directly from the CPU.

TheJamsh

not as of TA5 it doesn't. GPU WILL matter now.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

swaaye

Yeah the headlights REALLY kill performance when the light sources start to build up in a scene. My Radeon 4670 plummets to single digits fps in battles with headlights on. Crazy.

AHadley

Quote from: Red Devil on April 25, 2009, 09:21:49 AM
Should have posted this at the outset.  I'll add to the list as I wake up...

1. Spotlights - They're really expensive in DX9, so copy this section out of GamePrefs.ini into LocalPrefs.ini and tweak the setting downwards until it works okay on your rig:

// Spotlights are the most expensive light, according to DX9 docs.
// So, an extra cull is put on them. If (range of spotlight +
// SpotlightRangePad) < (2D distance between object being lit and the
// spotlight), then a spotlight will be considered for lighting that
// object.  If this value is too small, then corners of a boxy object
// may not be accurately lit. If this value is too big, then
// performance may suffer as DX9 is told to apply too many lights to
// an object. Pick your poison.
SpotlightRangePad = 8

bigbadbogie

Quote from: swaaye on July 12, 2009, 01:36:04 PM
Yeah the headlights REALLY kill performance when the light sources start to build up in a scene. My Radeon 4670 plummets to single digits fps in battles with headlights on. Crazy.

Try updating your videocard's drivers.

I used to get really bad light-lag before I updated mine.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

swaaye

AHadley's post helped a lot.