• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 3 - what are we waiting for?

Started by RAVEgun, April 27, 2009, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

Quote from: AHadley on November 18, 2009, 02:06:43 PM
Only problem is that, being EA, they're going to make some piece of trash that looks good but doesn't have a storyline.

That is where mods come in...
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

GSH

Now that Pandemic has been closed, who's up for convincing EA to make a BZ3?

They did say that they wished to continue Pandemic's legacy...

Battlezone is still associated w/ Activision. EA didn't buy Pandemic until Jan 2008.

Problem is, neither publisher wants to make games that don't sell well enough to make back the development costs. BZ isn't dead. Just unprofitable. Wildly unprofitable.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

...And they would never take the risk of losing any money so they stick with the 'popular' genres.

Those genres are only popular because they are so blatantly overused.

This is a deadlock which it seems can only be broken by either a well respected game company throwing monetary safety to the wind and making another FPS/RTS game which is advertised properly and subsequently sells well, or a fan-made indie game or total conversion mod (in a newer engine) which showcases the possibilities that FPS/RTS games have.

The latter is the most likely option of course... and BS-er's M.A.D is well on the way.

Even if M.A.D is a total success, it may still not be enough to start convincing the general gaming population that FPS/RTS hybrid games are any good. A fan-made mod in an engine such as Unreal Engine would probably draw the largest crowd.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TwinShadow

Quote from: sabrebattletank on November 18, 2009, 02:33:54 PM
Madden has a great storyline.

The Madden games are just an NFL game. Same thing as every year, same ol' thing every time. Just some updates in graphics or gameplay on occasions. You can't compare something like BZ2 to an NFL sports game.

BBB is right, the Battlezone series wasn't as popular as it could be. Big name companies won't do anything that won't sell well and all that. Plus, EA's latest games aren't all that great IMO. I've yet to see a game from them that actually had good physics for anything. (something I won't get into too deeply here)

Far as a BZ3 is concerned, FE, IMO, fits that bill the best. Its the most expansive single player campaign extension compared to any other stuff I've seen. The next best one would probably be Fleshstorm.

It could always be possible to create something new with the Unreal Engine perhaps.. but that would need a lot of time and patience to start work on something like that. Not only that, a really good team, dedicated to the project to keep it going and not become a dead project.

Clavin12

Idk if you've noticed but there's a cp being worked on. It might well top FE.
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

I doubt it Calvin. It could be cool, but FE sets the bar pretty high.

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

General BlackDragon

im confident BZC will top the bar FE set :P

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

It wouldn't be a very good BZ3 though. More BZ1.5 :P

CivBase

Quote from: bigbadbogieThis is a deadlock which it seems can only be broken by either a well respected game company throwing monetary safety to the wind and making another FPS/RTS game which is advertised properly and subsequently sells well, or a fan-made indie game or total conversion mod (in a newer engine) which showcases the possibilities that FPS/RTS games have.
Valve?  :-P