• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 3 - what are we waiting for?

Started by RAVEgun, April 27, 2009, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Having looked into all of this (actually always looking into other engines with the idea of moving BZ into one) I think the main issue is always knowledge.

Every existing engine has a learning curve for modders.  You don't really know what you'll run into until you master the engine, and who has time to master multiple engines?

Add to that the fact that the learning curve is sometimes there for a reason...  it keeps only the most dedicated modders from slapping whatever they want into the engine and ruining the core game.

IF there were a suitable engine available now AND enough tutorials/examples/tools, to make the transition possible (not easy, just possible) THEN you'd see a group form to move to it... 

-Av-

Dx

Ya i put 1 tank in Far Cry and it was so hard to deal with, it's not worth the work.
The UT2k4 engine was sort of involved but i had coxxon's Uler bomber with head lights working in it. Even a detroyed model for it.

Did you check out the UT3 engine?

Nielk1

I was looking at source with some really cool hover physics.

EDIT: Typo core -> cool

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

If source wasn't so frikkin hard to do, that would be my best bet.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

CivBase

I'm not very smart when it comes to anything involving the technical foundation of the game.  I'm only sixteen, so I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish in C++, DOS, and other modding things.  I could probably learn the basics on modding for BZ2, but I doubt I would have the time or patience to go much further than a few small tweaks to the combat and some extra weapons.  There isn't much I'd be able to add to anything done towards a BZ3 other than critiquing things... which really doesn't even need to be done until the real stuff is mostly worked out.  Just a few details here and there.

However...

I have loved the Battlezone series ever since I started playing it on the computer when I was five.  I love it so much that I even remember my dad teasing me when he was intalling it by saying I couldn't play the game until I could read the game manual fromt to back (and I couldn't even read back then).  I would love nothing more than to see Battlezone rise again.

Still...

With the gaming industry in the shambles that it is in now, I would think that the only way a good Battlezone III could come about would be through the community, who lacks the legal ability and capital to do the things they would want to do.  This is where the problem lies.

And so...

If only there was a way to get Pandemic to let go of the game... dang, I wonder how many of the employees there have even played it, much less care about owning it.  Everyone knows it won't make a comeback unless they release it, but greed has spoiled many businesses, and so I doubt that would ever happen.  If there is a way, though... a way to bypass the monetary and legal issues while continuing to ensure the game's quality, I'm game for it.

Frankly...

I wouldn't mind seeing Battlezone 2 simply decked out with some better graphics and given a few tweaks here and there. Things like fixing the water fog that sticks to your screen when you get out, creating better unit paths, adding more gametypes, turning the game menus into something more user-friendly (but still effective), possibly making some extra units/structures/teams, and ballancing the factions a bit more.  Oh, and the ability to choose your team's color would be nice too ^^

Just some thoughts.

Red Devil

Why does anyone need BZ3?  We've got TA5, so the only thing different would be different units, voiceovers/sound effects, and more SP missions.
What box???

bigbadbogie

Quote from: CivBase on May 17, 2009, 04:06:33 PM
Frankly...

I wouldn't mind seeing Battlezone 2 simply decked out with some better graphics and given a few tweaks here and there. Things like fixing the water fog that sticks to your screen when you get out, creating better unit paths, adding more gametypes, turning the game menus into something more user-friendly (but still effective), possibly making some extra units/structures/teams, and ballancing the factions a bit more.  Oh, and the ability to choose your team's color would be nice too ^^

Just some thoughts.

Nearly all of that has already been done in TA5.

And I still reckon a BZ2 Redux mod/pack is a great idea. Add new and far more realistic textures, special effects and models.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

CivBase

Was the water thing fixed?  I haven't tried it yet lol.  And the color choosing?

The rest I still think could be spruced up a bit more... I mean, it's great as it is but... idk, I'm just a hungry fan ^^

Red Devil

What box???

General BlackDragon

always play the newest patch  :lol:, and yes those were fixed.

CivBase

Well, I play the newst patch (and pb4 for friends who don't upgrade), but I haven't jumped in water yet.

General BlackDragon

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

CivBase

Indeed they are.  And when one doesn't upgrade, none can.  I have both pb4 and ta5 though, so it's all good.