• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 3 - what are we waiting for?

Started by RAVEgun, April 27, 2009, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

So TA5 allows you to choose your team color in MP?
Hidden Defenders Mod

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

Quote from: Avatar on July 25, 2009, 06:03:26 PM
I don't know why, but I just flashed on:

Dx: "What are we going to do tonight OM?"

OM: "What we do every night Dx..."

"Take over the world!"

:evil:

-Av-

http://pinkyandthebrain.sparkg.com/wavs/pinky/takeover.wav

XD

I loved that show as a kid.

Nielk1

"If Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care, why am I singing a song about it?"

Click on the image...

Blue_Leader

Quote from: Red Devil on May 17, 2009, 04:10:50 PM
Why does anyone need BZ3?  We've got TA5, so the only thing different would be different units, voiceovers/sound effects, and more SP missions.

Basically this, I don't really understand why everybody is wanting a 3rd Battlezone because frankly, with all the legal issues involved with the Battlezone name and what not It's not a viable option. Battlezone 1 and 2 hardly sold much at all so looking at a company standpoint they would most likely stay away from it even if all the legal issues were settled 1.3 might as well be our BZ3 because that's as close as It's ever going to get.

AHadley

We've got a community project going on for god's sakes!

Dx

Quote from: Blue_Leader on July 26, 2009, 07:38:53 AM
Battlezone 1 and 2 hardly sold much at all

Battlezone sold enough, (over 1 millon copies i think) to make the "Red Odyssey" Expansion pack, "Battlegrounds" map pack and "Battlezone II Combat Commander".

How many other games of it's time had a million copies sold?

Blue_Leader

Quote from: Dx on July 26, 2009, 10:20:31 AM
Battlezone sold enough, (over 1 millon copies i think) to make the "Red Odyssey" Expansion pack, "Battlegrounds" map pack and "Battlezone II Combat Commander".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_%28video_game%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims

Well, heres just a few examples where have you heard it sold 1 million copies? I could of swore they should a lot less than that but then again I don't find anywhere how much they sold so I don't know. But amount of copies sold aside I don't think the money they made from it covered the cost of production RTS/FPS games never really have sold good in the market hence why there is so few of them but they are one of my favorite type of games so hopefully in the future they become more popular.

Nielk1

Quote from: Dx on July 26, 2009, 10:20:31 AM

BZ1's sales were sadly artificially boosted by the way it was packaged will a billion other things. All Battlezone games tend to be things were if you play them you would like them, and then buy Battlezone Gold for the expansion pack and maps while you already have a BZ1 CD marked, like mine, NOT FOR RESALE right on the disk.

BZ2 did not get bundled so it was not so well exposed, and then BZ1 folk game it a bad name without even trying it.

Click on the image...

More to the point, BZ1 came out at a time when 3D Hardware accelerated games were rare and new.  BZ1 showed off hardware acceleration VERY nicely...  so it was a game of choice to be bundled with the new graphics cards.

That's why the inflation of the 'sold' units, as many think it only fair to include the bundled games with the off-the-shelf purchases.  I personally don't think so...

I will say that I'll bet anyone who grabbed a new 3D card and installed BZ1 went "WOW!" when they first saw the graphics, after which they went "HUH?" when they tried to figure the game out.  It was VERY much ahead of it's time and most of the people I was hanging with at the time were Quake-heads, meaning they weren't really interested in base-building, resource management, and SP missions.

I got a new game and a whole new bunch of friends at the same time...  :)

Luv that BZ magic...

-Av-

Warfreak

AHadley

Quote from: Nielk1 on July 26, 2009, 02:34:27 PM
BZ2 did not get bundled so it was not so well exposed

The guy who introduced me to BZ2 bought his copy in a bundle with Dark Reign 2 and Heavy Gear 2.

Fulmen

Speaking of Heavy Gear, I still have the disc(s) for Heavy Gear 1. Haven't played it in at least 5 years if not more. Might give it a shot today.  :-D

BNG Da BZ Fool

It seems to me that Battlezone 2 evolved into 3 with the introduction of Forgotten Enemies. The addition of 1.3 saw the introduction of fixing 1.2 bugs and some general improvements overall. However, some where along the way things have become kind of obscure. TA5, as it's called now stand for what? PB, I understood, but TA? In all of the revisions why hasn't a decent aircraft or water class AI been implemented? I know from past posts that some peeps have requested them.

I read some posts that BZ2 missed the mark when compared to the original BZ, but for most of us it stands well enough on it's own merits to earn the loyalty of it's fans. Still, I wonder if the developers of new improvements to BZ2 are listening to users about what direction the improvements should include? I know it's not my place to demand anything, but I would like to see air and water class units supported in some way to help round out the game play a bit. Battlezone, is a strategy based combat game and in the real world this includes a wide array of combat scenarios and not just land based battles, i.e., the ISDF bomber from the original 1.2 version, etc. For what we all know now we may have already reached the level where the game could very well have reached the level of Battlezone 5? BNG. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

TheJamsh

GSH made comments and pointed to a pretty diagram in his TA5 Released post that explains about why its called a Tech Alpha pack. Its because of the nature of the changes made, like re-writing to DX9.

The battlezone II Demo CAPTIVATED me when i played it. Then i tried to find the game for months and never could. The units, the enemies i hadn't seen all displayed in those teaser splash screens? I LOVED it. Then i bought it, downloaded the 1.2 patch from pandemic's website, then happened to stroll accross the BZ2MD forum.

It was only when i found BZ2MD about 2-3 years ago that i started modding. THATS what drew me even further into it. Ill probably never stop playing it even if i get bored sick of it.

TBH, i would NOT be interested in a BZ3, and i wouldn't be surprised if most of the persons reactions on this board were the same. BZ2 is good enough, and we practically have a BZ3 already. BZ3 would have to be written in a new engine to REALLY count as BZ3.

If it was made, and written in Unreal Engine 3.5, then you can quite easily retract my previous statement, but BZ3 will NEVER happen, and i don't really want it to. End of story.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.